DIY Aimrite Roller

• If I had a spare barrel that I didn't care about I think I would try it for my own R&D. But I'm not willing to ruin a good gun just to find out the buoyancy properties and structural integrity of HD foam. If anyone has tried it please post your results.

Thx Dan for the input.

Makoa

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• For holding strenght you can place a piece of hardwood or pvc pipe inside the barrell. Then you can screw your bolts there.

Foam always ends absorbing water.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Like I said cuz, I really like the performance enhancements of the roller, i.e. The longer range with increased punching force, reduced recoil (like when you wen changed the bands from 16 mm down to 14mm), and the biggest plus for me is I'm able to hunt reef ledges, holes, ulua houses with a shorter barrel but still have the range to hit kahala and other kine fish in open water. The downside is it takes one learning curve for figah how to load, track while diving. But like any new change it will become natural aftah using a lot.

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• Just like Aimrite does on their roller guns, on the trigger guard. The problem with that is there is only one setting. I am going to insert a couple plugs and add two anchors or rest tabs allowing for a 100% and 75% setting. We'll see how that works. But for now I'm happy with the one setting.

• Can you take a picture of how you anchored you bands to the connection to the trigger guard? Also your reel is much further forward from where mine is located. Is it inside of the plugged area of the barrel? If so are you afraid it might leak? Maybe a dumb question but it would worry me. Regardless I would love to grab a roller muzzle and try it out one day. Hawaii definitely lends itself to that kind of hunting. We don't have to reload so fast because the action is usually not hot and heavy. It always seems it's a process of long drops and lots of waiting to get decent fish. Not sure I agree that loading time is that big of a drawback. Thanks for any advice and personal expiernce you share. Gonna be on big island next few days but got to work the whole time. Would love to dive with you and your boys one day.

Thanks

• Rollerguns are the future!
    Great gun, man!
    Now time to hunt with it! A friend of mine recently switched from a 110 railgun to an 85cm roller, and is loving it for hunting pelagics in 3m viz!

• I plugged the area where the reel is anchored and I use a marine grade epoxy that comes in a putty form and can be worked like clay to fill the screw holes providing a seal and to strengthen the screw holds. I've used this method on my sons King Venom, and three other carbon guns with no leaking.

All I did for the line anchor is to run the line through the trigger guard. KISS..."keep it simple stupid", the only way I like to do things. After looking at all the production roller guns (including Aimrite) it appears that this is one of the methods used most along with some using the reel base. It seems that the more complex two or three anchor points are coming from guys doing custom work on heir own guns and who enjoy the added work of design and structural work. There are several YouTube videos showing Aimrite rollers guns (Australia and Kuwait) and a couple of intro videos by Adreno and they all use the trigger guard method. So that's where my starting point is...use what's been done successfully and improve on that if needed. Again, I'm simple minded and am always amazed at the craftsmen in our community that are always redesigning the wheel for all our benefit. As a waterman I've tried to always build my own gear from surfboard to spear shafts, hybrid speargun (with help) and pipe guns, floats, do my own rigging etc and while my work is not equal to the real masters of these things, I love hunting with something I've made and improve my skill at hunting regardless of how well my stuff has turned out. So I try not to get too wrapped up in the "1001 Ways to do something" mentality. What brings me comfort is looking back at the early pioneers like uncle Sonny Tanabe and realize what made these legends great was their ability to hunt regardless of the gear they used. Sorry for the long answer but I know there are guys on here that have better ideas of how to anchor the lines on their pipe guns, but for me this simple method works.

• Which wishbone do you load in the shaft? The pink one or the black one?

May I see a picture of the gun loaded? I've just bought the components to build a roler and I'm not really sure if it's going to shoot straight or not. :rolleyes1::laughing:

I've heard that the wishbone tend to lift the back of the shaft in some cases. I see that you're using a regular notched shaft. Will it work the same with a tabbed/pinned shaft?

Thanks,

Marco Melis

• The red/pink one gets loaded onto the shaft. The black loop is there to provide a "handle" to initially pull the bands back until you can grab them to load. I prefer shark fin tabs or pins over the notched shafts. This was the only shaft I had that fit the new gun length. I'll be replacing with a finned shaft as soon as I order some.

Aloha
    Makoa

Hope the picture helps. It's pretty straight forward.

• Thanks!

NEVER LOAD THE GUN OUTSIDE THE WATER! :nono::D:laughing:

Now I know better.

Another thing I've read in the past is that the wishbone tend to pull the back of the shaft upside at the end of the bands run. Have you noticed that your shots go low?

Marco Melis

• No. There is a YouTube video that has a high speed camera footage that shows the extra slow motion action of a roller vs conventional gun. I've noticed less recoil and a very accurate shot so I would say no to the point you raise.

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• I can't find the exact one but yes it is a pipe roller. This one is ok but not as detailed. Look up Balística Submarina - Spearguns Test, Underwater Ballistics, Trailer.

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI