What chest freezer?

• Need a chest freezer big enough to store several large wahoo whole, need advice on size of chest and brand choice, thanks in advance for any input.
    George

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Too Funny on that one Hank. . What Cost limit do you got there George. ?

Buddy bought a huge chest freezer , he had a couple moose and deer in there at one point. I pushed on him when he built his house to make a butcher room. He has a good sized room under the house with side entrance. Stays cool in there year round. Filled with Meat band saws grinders, large SS tables and that freezer.

He also bought a trailer that is basicly a meat locker on wheels. Nothing like going hunting with your freezer.

• Cost limit is cheap [emoji6]
    I was thinking 22cf would be good? Asking advice.

George Steele

• Cost limit is cheap [emoji6]
    I was thinking 22cf would be good? Asking advice.

Just checking, your looking to keep them cold as whole fish? More detail to what you are thinking.

Not cut and wrap deal where overall size is not issue except volume for amount of fish you shoot..

• Thinking of entire wahoo (because they are the longest species I shoot) laying flat in the freezer, maybe in a plastic garbage bag to stop them from freezing together. Storage would be two months max.

George Steele

• You can't really go wrong with any of the big brand name freezers as far as reliability. Most issues I have is the breaker popping because of power surges here. So because of that I use freezer alarms. They also help if the door doesn't get shut. Iv got most of my freezers for cheep secondhand. I'm up to six freezers now!
    I think a 22cf should do what you want. Not sure what your need to freeze whole is but fish skin&fins frezzer burn fast with out some protection like glazing or being tightly wrapped, if looks are a concern.

This is what I'm using for the alarm. Cheep thing that can save your butt.
    http://m.chefsresource.com/aud…or-freezer-alarm-cdn.html

• Treebilly called it. We have 4 chest freezers in our hatchery and one at my house. The hatchery ones are about 5 feet long inside diameter. The one at my house is a Frigadaire. Been working well for three years.

We beat the shit out of the ones in the hatchery putting salt water on everything and they've all lasted up to 4 years. We have replaced the rusted out tops with plywood lined with neoprene to seal the edges.

You just need to get the right length for those big ones. Obviously if you take off the telson and head you can make more room.

Yep.

• You need to butcher and cut and wrap. Get a Vacuum seal, Food saver is what I got.

I had some other brand long ago. (POS) That one got hit with a hammer and tossed.

• You can't really go wrong with any of the big brand name freezers as far as reliability. Most issues I have is the breaker popping because of power surges here. So because of that I use freezer alarms. They also help if the door doesn't get shut. Iv got most of my freezers for cheep secondhand. I'm up to six freezers now!
    I think a 22cf should do what you want. Not sure what your need to freeze whole is but fish skin&fins frezzer burn fast with out some protection like glazing or being tightly wrapped, if looks are a concern.

This is what I'm using for the alarm. Cheep thing that can save your butt.
    Audio/Visual Refrigerator/Freezer Alarm - CDN

Great advice, thanks... what to wrap with, like cling wrap? Glazing?

George Steele

Edited 2 times, last by Dude george ().

• Great advice, thanks... what to wrap with, like cling wrap? Glazing?

Cling wrap works ok vacuum packed is best. Glazing is just spraying with water as it freezes to creat a thin layer of ice to block air flow. You'll notice glazing on stuff like frozen bagged chicken and fish from the store. It comes down to stopping the air touching the product.

• You need to butcher and cut and wrap. Get a Vacuum seal, Food saver is what I got.

I had some other brand long ago. (POS) That one got hit with a hammer and tossed.

John, I don't want to cut at all...other than to gut, if I wanted to butcher I would just fillet the fish and be done with it [emoji6]. How big a piece can food saver handle?

George Steele

• Iv vacum packed whole salmon no problem but i don't think whole wahoo will fit in the bags, but that shouldn't stop you from trying. I'd say try a few different ways being that you said less than two months vacum packing might be overkill.

• long term storage to prevent freezer burns, the way to go. lower cost option is that clear plastic food wrap then butcher paper.

The FoodSaver works off of rolls. you can make it long as you want. I have old model and width is around 12 inches. go look at what they sell, I could make a bag that is 10 foot long if I wanted 12 inch width.

ASIDE: Pretty sure you have to just use the Foodsaver bag material with them. This unit is what all of hunting buddies use.

Costco sells the bags and you can get a pretty good price on them.

Still don't understand why you want to freeze in large quantity. You planning on a big Party with all of SPEARDIVER folks over to eat?

• Iv vacum packed whole salmon no problem but i don't think whole wahoo will fit in the bags, but that shouldn't stop you from trying. I'd say try a few different ways being that you said less than two months vacum packing might be overkill.

Would never be more than two months. Few weeks would be typical, in that case maybe I will just try glazing, would just wetting before freezing do? Or is there a process?
    Hope I am not being a pain with my ignorant questions.

George Steele

• You know what, if I could have a speardiver party I would! The fish certainly would not be a problem.
    It's not really long term, more like short term, my wife has banned me from the freezer, hence the search for alternative. Other reason is that I am shattered after a long day and 150-200lb of wahoo on a good day is more than I can face, soooo the idea of a entire fish in a garbage bag, dumped directly into the freezer till its needed or whoever picks it up. You do realize I shoot more fish than I personally could ever eat? [emoji1]

George Steele

• Would never be more than two months. Few weeks would be typical, in that case maybe I will just try glazing, would just wetting before freezing do? Or is there a process?
    Hope I am not being a pain with my ignorant questions.

No problem:) I was a butcher for ten years so I get these are not common place questions. Glazing is a process, you freeze the fish then spray it with water then freeze again.
    What you might try that will be faster is go to your butcher shop and ask to buy a role of there shrink wrap. What they wrap trays of meat in. It's larger and stronger than the small boxed crap you get on the shelf. A roll should last you a few seasons too!

• Glazing is a great idea.

Treebilly is that practical for other meats besides Fish. Moose,deer,elk, etc?

Poultry and seafood is really all it's used on. I would call it the cheep alternative to wrapping. I wouldn't sagest it for red meats.
    Wild game will last well over a year if wrapped tightly in freezer paper "tightly" being the key. I have muskox in my freezer that is almost two years old and only in freezer paper that is in excellent shape.