Polyester line for reels

• Hey Everyone!
    A buddy of mine has some black polyester line that came along with his Omer Reel.
    I've also seen similar line on a friend's Cressi reel gun.

I've always thought that Dyneema/Spectra lines were the only way to go for spearfishing purposes. Yet certain manufacturers supply reels pre-loaded with polyester lines. Thing is, I haven't really found any accounts of people describing their experiences with polyester line as reel line. It seems fairly robust, maybe not for huge fish, but for general reef spearfishing.

PS, I suppose it looks like this Beauchat line;
    Beuchat Black Polyester Line 2mm - Spearfishing World

Has anyone here used polyester line as reel line on a speargun for a long period of time? How was your experience using this line? How was it's abrasion resistance? Has anyone's reel lines ever snapped due to excessive load?

Reason I'm asking is because I was considering getting a spool of the stuff, for another gun.

• Polyester line is usually jacketed no? That tends to kink more than %100 spectra line. Also its always round whereas spectra can settle flat, allowing more line on the reel at the same "diameter", and having a more convenient surface area for handling.

Prom experience cutting many different types of line designated for marine use, I can tell you that even with good sharp shears it takes more effort to cut the Spectra. You have to get it just right between the two blades before you snip, otherwise it will wedge in the shears and only fray instead of cut cleanly. This to me says something about the abrasion resistance of Spectra/Dyneema vs anything else.

Those are all things in favor of Spectra so I'm not sure why anyone would use Polyester, unless price is an issue but Spectra is not that expensive.

• I'm pretty sure some stuff I ordered (black and waxy feeling) online was polyester and I HATE it. I've seen similar stuff loaded on older Omer match reels that's why I think it's the same stuff. Anyways I might be wrong

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Also, I had a look at the link. It's 2mm, but has a 90kg breaking strength. A Dyneema or Spectra 2mm line would have 300-500kg breaking strength. Doesn't really matter unless you're hanging on with all your strength being towed around, your reel is spooled, and all that stands between you and the fish of your life is 60-100yds of Reel line..

• I'm pretty sure some stuff I ordered (black and waxy feeling) online was polyester and I HATE it. I've seen similar stuff loaded on older Omer match reels that's why I think it's the same stuff. Anyways I might be wrong

Why do you hate the line, Steven? What exactly do you not like about it?

Polyester line is usually jacketed no? That tends to kink more than %100 spectra line. Also its always round whereas spectra can settle flat, allowing more line on the reel at the same "diameter", and having a more convenient surface area for handling.

Prom experience cutting many different types of line designated for marine use, I can tell you that even with good sharp shears it takes more effort to cut the Spectra. You have to get it just right between the two blades before you snip, otherwise it will wedge in the shears and only fray instead of cut cleanly. This to me says something about the abrasion resistance of Spectra/Dyneema vs anything else.

Those are all things in favor of Spectra so I'm not sure why anyone would use Polyester, unless price is an issue but Spectra is not that expensive.

I think you're right, Dan. Spectra or dyneema are definitely better alternatives. I was considering polyester line for another shorter gun, for off-season spearfishing, when the only fish we run into here are sea breams, snappers and groupers. I suppose I brought it up because I wanted to know how this type of line performed as a reel line.

Also, I had a look at the link. It's 2mm, but has a 90kg breaking strength. A Dyneema or Spectra 2mm line would have 300-500kg breaking strength. Doesn't really matter unless you're hanging on with all your strength being towed around, your reel is spooled, and all that stands between you and the fish of your life is 60-100yds of Reel line..

Yeah, breaking load wouldn't matter too much unless I'm shooting HUGE fish. I've felt the line... seems fairly durable. But if it's a "spiderweb of death" as you said, I might as well avoid it!

• Get dyneema. Polyester will rot over time and will start to break without any notice. Dyneema is more abrasion resistant. That's very important if you spear around structure. Breaking load is inherent to the material, but it's not THAT important since the maximum load will be the float buoyancy or yours, in case you're using a reel and get spooled by a big fish.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.