Bwh No 4: sailfish

• I have been fortunate enough to catch a few of these beautiful fish, my last one was just last year (all carefully released and never taken out of the water) - and I've seen two while spearfishing. For me, and this is an individual decision, but I have no desire to kill one of these elegant noble fish. :nono:

Great photo by the way - yours?

Edited once, last by Oscar ().

• Nice one! I am definitely going to shoot one, just one. Not a small one, and it will be eaten. Same for marlin.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I recall a similar discussion last year, perhaps on the California forum (not weird board), on what individual very personal decision if he/she wanted or would spear a billfish. It was interesting and came out approximately 50/50 as I recall.

I also recall a good polite respectful discussion here on why we dive and spearfish. My position on that discussion aligns with my personal decision not to spear a billfish even though I've had two good close opportunities to large Pacific Sailfish in Panama. When they light up it is a real show and I just enjoyed the moment.

As an old spearo - started when I was 10 or 11 and developed good hunting skills and ability to dive and spear at 80-100 feet and was very successful (still am) at hand catching lobsters - but now with only one or two opportunities to dive - I carry a speargun and occasional will spear a medium size fish for food but my p,erasure is watching my son take up the sport. Can't dive worth a shit anymore - chronic congestion and shitty breath hold MIGHT be a factor :laughing:

But I do not look down on those that hunt and spear billfish - I respect that as long as it isn't just trophy hunting.

Sorry - just an old guy rambling. Hope you get a nice billfish George and keep it up - I truely envy your life style and so called job.

P.S. if you can't find anyone to help you bring your new panga out of Venezuela - that type of trip is right up my alley. I survived a hurricane on a 55 foot sailboat with only 3 crew members (one female) in 1962 - destroyed the boat pretty much but wow- what an adventure :@

• Oscar I will for sure shout you when I have a plan in place for moving the boat, would be an honor to meet you.
    Plenty of fish I won't shoot because I respect or enjoy the species from a purly human perspective... so completely understand your point of view.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I had a sailfish within shooting range. I surfaced from a dive, looked to my left and "holy shit"….I just stared at it. It was pretty big……and beautiful. I didn't really think of shooting it…..but I do remember thinking it would quickly run all the line off my reel if I did. After a few seconds or however long….I looked at it, it slowly turned and swam off. I didn't feel bad at all for not shooting it. I was in awe.

• I had a sailfish within shooting range. I surfaced from a dive, looked to my left and "holy shit"….I just stared at it. It was pretty big……and beautiful. I didn't really think of shooting it…..but I do remember thinking it would quickly run all the line off my reel if I did. After a few seconds or however long….I looked at it, it slowly turned and swam off. I didn't feel bad at all for not shooting it. I was in awe.

Bingo! Exactly how I felt. Just a beautiful elegant noble fish :)

• I won't hesitate a second to shoot it. Maybe after I have taken my first one, I'll start to let them pass. Or not. It depends on many factors for me: Table fare, challenge, size.

If I like to eat it and it's somehow challenging to spear, I will keep shooting them. :)

Nice video Virgili. Except the last part. I got seasick... :rolleyes1:

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• I can't imagine that this vid opens a debate about releasing or catching a fish...
    Seems to be a personal choice...
    for the last fifiteen years I,ve been seeing about 30 , caught about 10 and try to freedove with 20
    most of the time the encounter lasted about 30 sec max
    could only a couple of time follow carefully the sailfish which did a second or a third visit close to me before taking off , so that encounter lasted about 3 min/ a subjectively long time!!
    very amazing to observe the fish behavour during the encounter: the 2 ventral fins movment is, in my opinion a good clue to understand the sailfish "feeling"..

• I can't imagine that this vid opens a debate about releasing or catching a fish...
    Seems to be a personal choice...
    for the last fifiteen years I,ve been seeing about 30 , caught about 10 and try to freedove with 20
    most of the time the encounter lasted about 30 sec max
    could only a couple of time follow carefully the sailfish which did a second or a third visit close to me before taking off , so that encounter lasted about 3 min/ a subjectively long time!!
    very amazing to observe the fish behavour during the encounter: the 2 ventral fins movment is, in my opinion a good clue to understand the sailfish "feeling"..

You're right. It's a choice, I didn't really choose….I just stared in wild eyed wonder. :laughing: The fish was probably thinking, "what's this dumb ass's problem"?