Retractable Shark Spike

• Hi all,

I asked Dan why his current speargun models don't have shark spikes anymore and he explained that it can be dangerous, if you are handling a strong fish by the shooting line and the fish darts off, the line may slip through your hands and the gun can stab you from behind (Dan, correct me if I warp your explanation).

I like the idea of a shark point for hunting in shark territory but he does have a point. I was wondering how hard it would be to make a retractable one, I was thinking a bit like those one shot rifle loaders or a sliding bolt lock. If you have space in the front part of your tube and you make cap with a hole the diameter of the spike and you attache a spring to the inner par of the cap in such a way that the spike runs through it (like a ball point pen works, the kind you click the back of to open/close). The spike would have a bar attached to it at 90° and the side of the gun is milled to allow you to move it back and forth. Close to the front it would be milled down with an angle so you can lock it into position. The barrel would need to be reinforced so that it doesn't warp from the strain of the bands. Here is a crappy drawing to illustrate:

I guess there needs to be a lot of reinforcing to do, maybe it could be done as an attachment below the barrel so you don't have to mill the barrel, a bit like some people attach a flashlight: .

Or something like that. Any ideas?

• As an assembly that gets mounted like the flashlight would be more practical to most out there is my thought.

The Retract safe position: I would have it inside the housing completely.

The side slot I would do straight vs an angle, then add a notch on the end to hold it in place. ( be easier to make)

Thinking of a bolt on a typical rifle out there.

Wouldn't be so hard to make, Housing, Spike, Lever, Spring. Need to think of a way to get a spring installed, could do it a few different ways.

Dan does have a point, that spike sticking out can end up in your leg or worse....

• Could just poke the big fish with the muzzle of your gun and probably get the same result without a spike. I think that's what most divers do down here anyways. I haven't seen many spikes on locals guns, though I have one on one of my pipe guns.

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• The spring could fit behind the spike the latch threaded to fit in the spike to make assembly easy.
    Sounds like you'd be making a spring assisted gate latch with a sharp point.

Got it, that would work for spring being same OD as Spike. 5/16 or 3/8 spring and spike. Maybe 3/8" provide more meat for side hole threads for lever.

I was thinking of Compression spring with ID a little larger then OD of Spike and put it in front. This way the spring is forcing the spike to a safe position, vs other way around.

As I'm just thinking, This would get rid of retracted side slot. Say spring is holding spike in with 1 lb. Then diver cocks it forward and latches it so Spring is at 3 lbs, then rotated into slot for Danger position.

Back side of Housing will need a threaded Cover, and a Lip on the Spike on back side for Spring catch to spike. The spring can be referenced off the lever too.

Another feature, might not be way to go, but still doable. Going to need additional holes for rinsing salt out of it.

Hope my rambling makes sense. A picture would be easier, but George Kill me, suppose to drawing on his Slip tip

• As an assembly that gets mounted like the flashlight would be more practical to most out there is my thought.

The Retract safe position: I would have it inside the housing completely.

Hi John, yes, I was thinking that, my drawings are not very good, that is why I am not an artist :)

The side slot I would do straight vs an angle, then add a notch on the end to hold it in place. ( be easier to make)

Thinking of a bolt on a typical rifle out there.

My thoughts exactly.

• Thanks Dan, I hadn't understood you had one. It's more for a wooden gun though, I think.

Having a removable one is nice, so you can move it to the gun you want to use or not put it at all if it is not needed (for people who air travel to hunt every gram of weight counts!)

• Hi John, yes, I was thinking that, my drawings are not very good, that is why I am not an artist :)

My thoughts exactly.

Picture was fine, got point across, I know who you are now, didn't catch it earlier. :crazy:

Dan's part would work, doesn't fully retract. A round housing to fit a Flashlight mount might be going to far.

Don't see an easy way to add a spring to Dan's part so it's locks in either position.

Where is George, he's the idea guy. :)

• I don't see an easy way to retrofit a spring to Dan's part but I do have a couple ideas for a new design. I'll try to sketch something tonight to explain.