sporasub rail guns

• Yesterday was my first dive after severe infection recovery :D I used a great gun, a Sporasub viper elite 130. The gun was single banded and surgically accurate. I stoned one clavellino and a dientón with it. What is funny about it is that looks completely identical as a Rabitech stealth speargun. the handle, barrel configuration is the same, the muzzle is a threaded european though. I did a research and the gun was designed by Hughes Dessault, way before Rabitech designed their own guns. Anyone knows the deal between this two brands?

Thank you in advance

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• You must've acquired this gun used because Sporasub is no longer making stuff right? Put up a pic of the gun, Rolo loves his Rabitech he may be able to see what the differences are.

Sporasub had a contract with H.Dessault and once it expired, they let him go and decided they could design their own stuff. A couple of years passed and started the new INSTINCT line of gear and people didn't seem to like it (IMO it's a POS). Since Sporasub was a freediving/spearfishing division of Mares, Mares dropped the name and company of Sporasub and started a new division now called Mares Pure Instinct http://www.pureinstinct.mares.com/

As for Houghes Dessault, he made his own company out of France and decided to make his own line of spearfishing gear. Very similar to the old equipment he used to design, he started selling from his own website(which is a pain to order from unless you speak french) or you could buy them through Diveinn.com
    Here's a pic of the new gun he's making, which is also pretty similar.

• The shaft that comes standard with the gun is a 6.5 mm, is nice but is no match for the local protein. I want to upgrade it to a 7 mm. Do you think the gun will stand the upgrade or should i stay with the standard set up?

• I was thinking the same thing, with the size of those snappers and groupers that you have there. I don't like to use anything less than 7mm in any case except if consistently shooting 12" snappers which I just don't do. The handle of your gun looks very similar to Rabitech.

Like I said Rolo is using Rabis and I think he's using 7mm RA shafts. With great success I might add if you check out some of his posts. I'm going to ask him to confirm this but judging from the size of some of those fish it would have to be a 7mm.

• You are right, i bent the shaft slightly even though the snappers i got were both stoneshots and both less than 10 pounds, those were shot as "speargun test" so, i can imagine what a larger pargo would do to the 6.5 shaft. La hace moño :D

• You mean would it be OK for the articulated steel wishbone? It probably would but I'd get rid of the quitadedos if I were you. Just ask Pantoja. There's a nice modification you can make with inserts and dyneema. Let me know if you don't know what I'm talking about. This will be perfect for mini tabs. I'll say it again RA shafts are nothing special, the only thing they got going is they're cheap, but they rust eventually. See my thread on experimenting with an RA shaft and that was a 7.5mm, you get what you pay for. Why don't you get a group of guys together and source out a manufacturer in Mexico?

• You mean would it be OK for the articulated steel wishbone? It probably would but I'd get rid of the quitadedos if I were you. Just ask Pantoja. There's a nice modification you can make with inserts and dyneema. Let me know if you don't know what I'm talking about. This will be perfect for mini tabs. I'll say it again RA shafts are nothing special, the only thing they got going is they're cheap, but they rust eventually. See my thread on experimenting with an RA shaft and that was a 7.5mm, you get what you pay for. Why don't you get a group of guys together and source out a manufacturer in Mexico?

That mod, would be terrific, but i am not familiar with the procedure. Care to elaborate please?

• About shafts, we take care of them as if they were made out of gold. In méxico almost 1000 pesos for a shaft is big money. So we have to get skill to go for the stone shots hehehe