Salutations from Sunny South Florida!

• Hi, I'm Rob!

I've never had the opportunity to use any freedive gear but I'm ready to get some and start diving locally with buddies whenever and wherever I can. Also, I'm an avid scuba diver with AWO/Nitrox certification, working on Rescue. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to pursue it further due to not having a car at the moment. I was going to rent but then I found Uber was more affordable and much better than the bus. I'm currently without Wi-Fi till I work it out with the best company in the world...Comcast! :laughing3:

...at least, I still have my data plan.

I'm looking for a buddy who is safe but doesn't mind a little adventure and murk. I like to explore the bottom of lakes and the unknown. I'm definitely a supporter of sidemount and will definitely be training for it in the future. :diver1:

The idea of killing marine life except for spearing those pesky lionfish is unappealing to me and I'd highly prefer not swimming with a spero when I'm freediving. I'm not into the whole competition deep diving side of it either though I welcome any knowledge from the community spearo or otherwise. :thumbsup2:

Happy Diving!

• The idea of killing marine life except for spearing those pesky lionfish is unappealing to me and I'd highly prefer not swimming with a spero when I'm freediving.

Happy Diving!

Wise to not want anyone who you don't know or trust slinging steel in your vicinity. I applaud your ethics on only wanting to kill lionfish, not everyone wants to or should be out shooting, but everyone should be killing and eating the lionfish.
    Welcome!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Then I guess I don't fall into the "better be" . If everyone decided to go fishing or spearfishing it would not be sustainable, and for that matter would I want to be in a ocean crowded with yahoos shooting steel Dan, let's not even get me started on the fact that anyone can buy a boat/jet ski with zero training or experience and go out and do damage. I love my sport and will happily help anyone who needs or asks for help but I am not pushing anyone to go spearfishing.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I agree with dude george. We need to live in harmony and respect everyone's opinion and view. Btw, here's what sidemount looks like if you were interested. Cool eh? :cool2:

I was directed to find a buddy using this forum by a local freedive store.

I will say however, that I may one day choose to try spearfishing.
    And Dan, technically, if I'm killing lionfish, I'm spearfishing, right so that would make me a speardiver occasionally right?? :notworthy3:

Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome guys! :thumbsup2:

• Wow! shades of the roller gun thread. I won't allow my words to be twisted so I'll spell it out; IF SOMEONE DOESN'T LIKE SPEARFISHING (evident by them stating "I don't like spearfishing") THEN SPEARDIVER IS NOT THE RIGHT PLACE FOR THEM.
    Speardiver is a SPEARFISHING forum, and more specifically freedive spearfishing.

• I thought it was a self help/yoga/ free diving forum??

Anyways sub current you may have had your views of spearfishing twisted by the scuba spearfishing and upcoming generations spearfishing mentality that would put a bad taste in anyone's mouth. Bottom line is if you are willing to kill lion fish u shouldnt draw any lines. That moral ethical line makes no sense.

And welcome

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Interesting...

This is turning into way more than I wanted it to and I'm not sure about continuing on this forum if I'm going to criticized and accused of something I didn't say or imply. If this was misconstrued, I apologize. Also, I don't know what these forums are at all. To be clear, I'm not from them and I've never heard of them. I can tell you I'm more into YouTube Vloggers and Snapchat than anything.

I was recommended starting posting here to find a buddy I could connect with for diving SUCH AS freediving as a lot of spearos freedive too! This local freedive store with definitely be hearing from me. Furthermore, I thought this was supposed to be a Freediving/Spearfishing forum? That's what the website itself states as seen below:

Thank you sdeisen. I don't have any moral or ethical issues in killing fish or other marine life. I just don't do it myself except for the occasional lionfish whenever I see them which is rare. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE eating all kinds of fish but the slightest inclination that you might be fighting off a shark for your catch disturbs me a little. On the other hand, I have no problem diving with them! :D

I didn't come on here to argue or fight or troll. The internet has plenty of that already. :(

I just want to find a nice guy I can dive with...period.

• It may seem like a small difference but the words were carefully chosen, "freedive spearfishing" is not the same as "freediving and spearfishing". Freedive spearfishing means breath hold underwater hunting. Many who practice freedive spearfishing want to be distinguished from, and dare I say frown upon, spearfishing using scuba. This is where you've landed and are now caught in a subcurrent of egos and other intrigues you've yet to discover :)

Truthfully you're not likely to find a freediving buddy here. But there is some great information about freediving in this thread http://spearfishing.world/free…mpetitive-freediving.html. I think you'll have better luck at Deeper Blue forum, and if that works out for you strangely enough you were directed to the right place in the first place.

• Dan's last post nailed it.

I don't think you will find a merely freediver here. All of us in this forum freedive WHILE TRYING TO FOOL A FISH TO EVENTUALLY SPEAR IT.

This being said, welcome and good luck. ;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• You have to work on your navigation skills, especially when using www

• Okay Dan, I appreciate that although I'm not into the competitive part of freediving at all.

I do also understand the difference between freedive spearfishing and freediver spearfishing though I didn't realize how much of a HOT button faux pas it was to use incorrectly.

Also, I do know of the Deeper Blue forum and I'll register there too and see what happens though I'm not counting out Speardiver.com just yet.

Thanks. :thumbsup2:

I hope that reference to my navigational skills was a joke. My compass navigation is impeccable. ;)