Hello from NC... for now

• Hello everyone, i'm Austin. I'm 17 and have never spear fished before in my life. I have wanted to try for the last couple years but of course my parents have said no. Well, i turn 18 in 2 weeks and can finally purchase my own stuff! I will be spending the summer in NC but i am moving to Malibu, California on July 15th. So, i decided to join the forums to get some help and hopefully meet some cool people! Currently making a list as i type this out of things that i'm interested in purchasing so i can practice over summer! Hoping to learn a lot from this forum!

• Welcome. Some great spearfishing in both N.C. And in SoCal.

• Welcome. Some great spearfishing in both N.C. And in SoCal.

I've wanted to try it for the longest time. I've owned saltwater fish tanks and all that did was push that urge even more. I feel like most people will think i'm crazy, majoring in Marine Biology but also spear fishing :laughing:

• Welcome, lots of marine biologist spearfish. Can't say this enough, read up on dive safety if you are not a proficient free diver before you start hunting fish, best scenario is going out with someone who knows what they are doing.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Welcome, lots of marine biologist spearfish. Can't say this enough, read up on dive safety if you are not a proficient free diver before you start hunting fish, best scenario is going out with someone who knows what they are doing.

Been doing a lot of research about it, it's been helping a lot and i haven't even gotten to use it yet! I have gone free diving before, just haven't spearfished while doing so. I currently have a 2:00 static which in my head means i'll have about a minute down under, at least comfortably, i don't want to push the limits. But trust me, i know what you mean by finding someone to dive with, i just need to meet some people out there first

• nice, i was in wilmington for several years. When i moved to florida it was a big adjustment. the visability here freaked me out. i could dive 80 feet in 4 foot vis all day but even swimming off the beach here i spent more time looking behind me. the murk turned out to be a security blanket of sorts. The diving up there is unbelievable if you can get offshore. NC breeds some badass divers soak it up while you're there.

Promontorium Tremendum