Hello from Alabama

• I have not done alot of diving in 20yrs been raising 2 great kids but now they are grown and the son will probally be diving with me . Now that I have had ajob transfer and I am now within a couple hours of the gulf and he has a new job in the Mobile area I am ready to get started again I have only used a pole spear it works ok but I have the speargun bug now looking at the 48 in KOAH I figure that is what I will go with but I would like to build my own also so I am open to suggestions on which one to buy as well as a build for a winter time project.:thumbsup2:

• I bought a Koah a few years back, totally happy with mine. Dude George got one too, he's puts it to the test more than I do. Lets see what he says.

I tend to use my polespear the most in evaluating design changes and new tip concepts.

My long Koah not the right gun for the murky waters of Northern CA. I got it for traveling to nice water.

Building your own, all based on your time and craftsman ability and available tools.

Metal DIY-er add on parts are available, Dan sells most of them in Freedivestore ( Link on top).

You will get lots of comments with that question.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

• Where in Alabama? I am in Orange Beach, have boat and always looking for a reason to get on the water. Perhaps we can plan a trip.

Dennis

• Welcome, if it's a wood gun you are looking for there are many choices, I will only speak about what I have shot... I have nearly every Koah John makes, my favorite for near shore diving is the reverse mech euro 120... With two speardiver 16 mm bands and a flopper shaft you can't go wrong [emoji106] If you think you need the beefy 3 rubber fatback then you should go one bigger that the 48, and maybe the rear handle plus in the fatback. Just my 5 cents.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele