Pros and cons of a kayak as a spearfishing platform

• i was thinking about hitting a flat on the way back for some snook or redfish fly work...a nice way to end a day...if she's up to the task, you should try it :D

Fly work? I almost pierced my ears plenty of times. I can only imagine the piercing that will go on aboard Dan's RIB.

Davie Peguero

• that is the beauty of flats fishing..you are stalking the whole time....it is like diving a lot...stealth is paramount. you move slowly and deliberately, observing small ripple in the water, areas where birds or bait are dancing and you position yourself to watch the spots for signs of the predators....then you use your weapon to engage them and retrieve them....only I let them go :)

bonefish are horrible bastards, but reds and snook (and the real easy cudas and mangos) are fun to spot and chase and catch

i like to spear fish

• hey guys,
    my personal opinion on this thread is that I own a kayak because it is better than swiming to and from my fishing spots and also because of the simple fact I dont have thousands of dollars to spend on a boat.
    my kayak works perfect for me, there is nothing I can complain about.I mount it on top of my car solo and carry it to the beach, put all my gear inside and Im on my way.
    thanks,
    Brian

• This is a really locale-specific question. In Hawaii & Cali, kayaks are great dive tools. A good example of practicality is the US Nationals. Meets in Hawaii, Southern Cali, Northern Cali, & Rhode Island are always kayak based. Meets in Florida... are always boat-based. This is generally because the kayak-based competition areas have enough productive grounds within a 4mile stretch to support 100 divers for a 7-hour meet. There are areas in Florida where kayaks are great... just not where they've hosted National events.

I used to think that transporting and carrying a kayak was hard... then one day my dive buddy and I were tag-teaming to carry my kayak down a set of stairs to the water; each of us carrying one end. Carl Krupansky, 70 at the time, passed us... shouldering his 15ft yak on his shoulder. We felt extremely weak... and I carried my own kayak ever since. Like loading a railgun - it's more technique & balance than brute strength.

I love shorediving, yak diving, & boat diving... it doesn't matter which to me. There are many times where kayak diving is much much more convenient for me. As for seaworthiness - I feel comfortable in large swell & chop. If the conditions are so bad that I wouldn't want be out there in a kayak... you can be sure I wouldn't want to be out there in a boat either. ;)

• Steven you are becoming an addict. it becomes an obsession
    '' the deep''. kind of like awakening a monster.
    it is never enough. a clear water day, lightheadedness from extended ventilations, the killer instinct blood pumping through your veins at 20 beats per minute.. the mental blackness where all that matters is the task ahead.. the two or 3 kicks... the peace of falling . you might get sick.. after all "its much better down there".

Edited once, last by Alan ().

• yeah yeah. well my kayaks barely 8 feet which doesnt help. and on a perfect day i would just keep paddling but i go before school and time is a factor,, also the weather has a way of turning on ya, and an hour+ long paddle back in can become a problem with a storm behind or infront of you

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• very good point about the weather steven... I know what you mean..hau and I have been caught off the second reef when all of a sudden we realized we should have gone in a lot sooner....always glad to have the old back up compass when the rain takes the ABOVE water visibility down to zero

i like to spear fish

• Compass is definitely a wise choice L.B.,rarely used but a life saver.good for foggy days in central ca.when you cant stand being out of the water and its foggy.