Dumb wetsuit question

• I dive North Florida, where it is common in the spring to have water temps in the mid to upper 60's, but air temps in the 90's. Additionally, I dive from an aluminum boat that can get a little warm at times, and I may spend a fair bit of time out of water as we take turns on numerous short drops.

My old black/blue scuba suit (the only one I have ever owned) is easy enough to get on and off so I often just remove it between dives. Rather not do that with a better fitting freedive suit if I can help it.

I know that a wetsuit is fundamentally in insulating layer, but is there any notable difference between a black suit, and a lighter blue cammo suit, in terms of which feels hotter in the sun when out of the water?

Thanks.

• Hey Tin Man. Color dont matter when it comes to wetsuits. You going to be hot anyways. I mean out of the water. I have used black wetsuits all my life for scuba and only cammo for freediving. Now when it comes to cold waters. If youa re using a 5mm 2piece just remove the top part. but if is one piece i will remove just half of it down to my waist. I rather get a jar and pour some water in the suit every now and then when it gets hot. You mention your dives are really short ones. I will probably suggest a one piece for that. If you going to be down there for a long time. then 2 piece is the way to go. I know your boat must be like a sauna when you get out of the water. But getting all the way out of the suit will dry you up faster. but doesnt the wetsuit gets a bit cold?. Or do you put it on top of the boat in the alumminum to get warm. because i know that can wear out or damage your suit way faster. But color wont change anything by the time dry up on you. you going to be boiling inside of it.

• Color is just a personal preference, but a well fitted two pieces open cell wet suit doesn´t need to be taken off between dives as is much more comfortable than a scuba suit. You wear it once at the beginning of your dive day and then you don´t need to take it off until you are done.

I just put some body milk over my high wear areas and moisten the suit before wearing it.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Color is just a personal preference, but a well fitted two pieces open cell wet suit doesn´t need to be taken off between dives as is much more comfortable than a scuba suit. You wear it once at the beginning of your dive day and then you don´t need to take it off until you are done.

I just put some body milk over my high wear areas and moisten the suit before wearing it.

Marco
    For the type of hunting he does, he needs a Scuba wetsuit. He does the Rambo type of diving. He dives in wrecks and scraping the suit against wood metal etc. So an open cell wont be a strong as a regular neoprene.suit. He might end up breking it fast and another thing the open cell in his boat. Full aluminum. Can wear out fast. That Big boat will get so damn hot it will melt the open cell. I saw the Tank Boat they have. They call it "the Beast" That thing only need a 50. cal on top and trust me the NAVY wont even bother him. According to what they tell me. A grouper in one of those damn wrecks can require a lot of wrestling, so imgine him scraping the suit against a wreck, open cell wont last too much, i could be wrong. But in my experince with open cell. That type of diving is a nono.:rolleyes1:

• Maybe I didn´t made myself clear...

As "open cell" I intend open cell neoprene inner (what is in contact with your skin) and lycra or nylon outer lining.

This is what spearfishermen in Spain use to spear at "el espumero" scratching the stones and sea urchins. A good quality wetsuit (not an Omer for sure) will outlast the abuse and will be fairly easy to repair with some neoprene glue in the rare case of tears.

Maybe you got me wrong and thought I was talking about "chicle" wetsuits, which are open cell inner and smooth neoprene outher, with no lining at all.

This would be a nice choice IMO:

Marco Melis

• Got you, that will do it. Tin Man explain to me how they catch their groupers. Sounds like a lot of fun. and also a lot of strugling with the little bastards. So i know he takes care of his equipment. He will be alright.

Tin Man are you trying to get a suit for both purposses? Scuba and Freediving?. This suit can handle both. Now are you trying 3mm or 5mm?

• I did some machine work for a guy, in exchange for a new 3 mil Imersion brand wetsuit. It's open cell on the inside, nylon on the outside. I know it won't be warm enough for the early spring and later fall, but it will give me something to start with this summer. Anyway, he gave me a choice of blue camo or black, so I was just wondering if there was any substantial difference other than price, since that was not an issue in this case.

I love the idea of wearing a thinner, more comfortable suit when scuba diving also, but I will just have to make that decision based on the apparent durability of the suit. I'll still wear my old beat up scuba suit when conditions are well beyond my ability to freedive, as those are the times when I am more likely to be taking close range shots down into the wrecks.

• I think that the black wetsuit is warmer when you are in the sun and out of the water. The black color of the wetsuits absorbs more heat keeping you warmer. Once you are in the water color doesn't really matter anymore as far as temperature goes. I've heard good things about those Imersion wetsuits but I never had one up close to really check it out.

• I think that the black wetsuit is warmer when you are in the sun and out of the water. The black color of the wetsuits absorbs more heat keeping you warmer. Once you are in the water color doesn't really matter anymore as far as temperature goes. I've heard good things about those Imersion wetsuits but I never had one up close to really check it out.

You are right Adrian.
    Well on Tin Man's case is a little different. they dive out of a big boat that is full aluminum. No color coated. It gets Hot as hell. So the reflection of the sun in the boat will raise the temp on that boat a lot. so he will cook on the wetsuit getting fully dried and making him to take it off anyways. everything on that boat is metal. Now Tin Man can use a suit for freedive and scuba like the one Marco is showing. But it wont be warm enough in the fall when the waters get even colder.

Tin Man i have heard good things about the immersions suits. Specially the blue cammo one. You will enjoy it. But with honesty, knowing your kind of diving. I willl not use that one for Scuba. That is my honest opinion. I rather get a cheper 5mm suit for scuba use. On your waters the black suit will fit those murky waters better. The blue immersion will make you glow under water:D, i will use the cammo one mostly for freediving. I know you will like it.:thumbsup2:
    Enjoy it

• a 3 mm freediving wetsuit should be warmer than a 5 mm scuba wetsuit as it won't allow water exchange. And much more comfortable.

As Alvin said, I would choose black for murky waters.

Marco Melis