• Good God ...
    I dunno what I was thinking, but I took an overnight shift this quarter and it has been awful .
    I never really considered myself an insomniac, but that has certainly been my case thus far . Typically, I can go home and lie down and go immediately to sleep only to wake-up 2 or 3 hours later . At that point, I am up for the remainder of the day . This is a concictent everyday affair. I have tried every trick in the book to no avail .

Anybody know anything I might be missing ? I've darkened the room,used white noise, both prescription and OTC meds . I've tried :toast: and it resulted in me being awake and hung over. Thought somebody might know a top-secret Latin American or Carribean cure unknown to North American society .

I feel drunk...

• Aaron---sorry, what is an overnight shift please?
    I worked 7p-7a 6 nights a week straight for over 3 yrs and still killed fish almost every day there was good weather
    I work 7p to 7a for the last 25yr and love it.:thumbsup2:
    I work all night while it is too dark to spear, bicycle, etc and sleep from noon or so till 5pm.
    I can spear every day, even on work days from 8am til noon:D
    What I do is;
    1. Foam ear plugs
    2. Tin foil on inside of bedroom windows.
    3. Turn my phone off from noon til 5pm
    4. Never plan/scheldule anything at 1- 2-3-4-5pm so that even on my nights off if my body wants to sleep from noon to 5pm like a work night then I can lay down to keep my body in sink.[sp]
    Once you form a night shift working habits you may never want to go back to loosing all those daylight hours stuck inside working.
    Hope this helps.
    NIGHT SHIFT RULES for :attack2::fish:

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• All good advice,hau.
    My night shift consists of midnight to 8, with 2-3 4.00P-8.00a a week thrown in for a good measure .

• Aaron--In my past experiance, that is the worst shift, days and nights:0
    In my past experiance that work scheldule is the scheldule that is given to someone the employer is trying to get rid of. Hope that is not your case. No one can honestly work the combination of days and nights for very long without "breaking". Again, hope that is not your case.
    7p to 7a is THE best shift. Work 3 nights a week and spear 4 days a week.:thumbsup2:
    Hope this helps

• When I was a lad I did some night security work with a dog. It really messed with my head and I decided never to work night shift again. Even though I had all the conditions and tried I couldn't sleep on the job. It messed up my day too. The money better be worth it Aaron.

• I think you should try wearing sunglasses during the day, as much as you can. Exposure to sunlight has a direct effect on your sleepiness levels. So if you're going home after your night shift, you want everything you see to be as dark as possible, so your body doesn't "wake up".

I hear Ambien is a good option too, but am no expert.

• Thought somebody might know a top-secret Latin American or Carribean cure unknown to North American society .

Well, not really unknown to US society, and would be problematic in your line of work, but a doobie of the indica variety will do the trick...

• i assume since you said you had tried all the meds you knew about that you tried melatonin (sp) it supposedly triggers the hormonal sleep cycles by taking it and it is just an herb so it souldn't have any nasty effects... one other thing you might want to try is doing a little bit of exercise about an hour or two before you want to sleep. I know of this working both ways, for some folks it wakes them up and gets thier body going, but for me, I am out like a baby.

good luck buddy, sounds pretty rough

i like to spear fish

• Well, not really unknown to US society, and would be problematic in your line of work, but a doobie of the indica variety will do the trick...

Yeah ... probably not for at least another 10 years, bro. After that it's on like Donkey Bong ...

Think the problem is going to work itself out. All I have to do is maintain for another 6 weeks and then I go back to days . :thumbsup2: Just put in my bid a little while ago.

Thinks for all the tips, though.