Masks & field of view

• An issue that we often talk about when considering spearfishing masks is field of view. A while back I purchased a Cressi Minima mask which obviously has a smaller field of view. I finally tried out the mask and really enjoyed the compactness of it. I can almost feel the energy savings turning my head from side to side. The small loss in field of view didn't bother me at all. I thought about why this is so.

My idea is fairly simple. As spearfishers we're always trying to focus our vision on small areas. Distinguishing fish from bottom structure is not something that can be done with peripheral vision. It takes some concentration to sort things out on the bottom and when you're doing that peripheral vision goes out the window. That's why I wasn't at all bothered by the loss of some field of view. Think about how many times you saw something outside the area that you were focused on that turned out to be a viable target. For me most often it's a piece of sea weed on the surface, another diver just before I bump into him, or one of those little fish that choose to hang out around your face and startle the shit out of me the first time I see them. I can honestly say that spearfishing wise nothing worthwhile has ever come out from peripheral vision. I think it may actually be better to limit the field of view as it helps me concentrate and focus my vision where it will be productive, not waste my time with fantasies about noticing a shark rushing me at the last moment.

I'm also aware that as I change my focus my head moves. This is done subconsciously. Slight changes in the angle of the head produce a much larger field of view than any mask. Then again, if you're really in the market for the largest field of view possible maybe these are the masks for you..

http://www.hydrooptix.com/index2.html

This is not a currently shipping product -- the patented MAX optics will only be available for commercial and military divers, integrated as part of full-face masks and helmets made by other companies. Divers with 20/20 vision do not need to wear contact lenses to use this mask, as they do with MEGA Double-Dome masks. The laws of optics dictate the dimensions of the lens barrel -- but their cost and size makes this an impractical solution for recreational divers. The MAX multi-element optical package, sealed in pressure-proof lens barrels, is expected to be available in late 2009 and retail for about $1,500 + the cost for the full-face mask / helmet.

This is a photo of one of our proof-of-concept MAX masks, which provides a flawless 140-degree field-of-view. Each MAX proof-of-concept mask cost over $60,000, and allows those with 20/20 vision to use their eyes in the exact same manner as they do in air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8zJZwsehXM

The HydroOptix MEGA 4.5 DD is the world's only mask that puts your eyes at the center of a dome. This geometry lets you see objects at their TRUE size, distance and shape. However, the concave shape of water creates a secondary optical phenomenon: you must be nearsighted to use the mask.

Many naturally nearsighted divers can use the mask with just their naked eyes. The view is so astonishing that hundreds of 20/20 divers (called 1.0 in Japan) have learned to wear contact lenses. They become temporarily nearsighted just to use the mask, and tell us that wearing contacts is worth the hassle, because of the vast improvement in vision. Low-cost disposable contacts are now part of their standard dive gear. Yes, if you are 20/20, this probably sounds ridiculous. But once you try it, you may decide that your valuable time underwater deserves a razor-sharp view almost 5X greater than anything else. Both new divers and Instructor-Trainers are wearing contacts again, years after successful LASIK made them 20/20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmI981cICY0

• I think those are way to big.
    about the video, the part i loved the most was when that guy goes like:
    AS AN INSTRUCTOR...................ETC.

• Dan, I have to disagree with you about your assessment of the value of peripheral vision. I find that I see many types of fish almost exclusively due to my peripheral vision, especially macks.
    Remember that skeet shooters are taught to look next to the launch hut because of how much better your peripheral sensors are at detecting movement.
    the ability to keep ones head fixed forward and still track a fish to the side is also a big plus as it gives you more time before alerting the fishing that he is being hunted.

while I don't dispute that someone might be able to still see just as much with a smaller field of view, and in fact it might be just as easy if it is so much easier to turn your head. I just feel that your conclusion about peripheral vision was incorrect

i like to spear fish

• As spearfishers we're always trying to focus our vision on small areas. Distinguishing fish from bottom structure is not something that can be done with peripheral vision

Maybe that´s why we use all black skirts on our spearfihing masks instead of clear.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Since i had never tried one i can´t really say, but i love the concept the lil´mask involves though.

For deep spearfishing/ freediving, it makes a lot of sense to have the max air economy out of a min mask.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• with that big mask you either surrender a lot of air going down or pop your eyes out. no way I'll use one of those. on the other hand I think i see enough with the minima.

• the one thing that i found was annoying about the minima was the fact that, because I needed to move my head so much more to see the same area, I found many positions where the mask might leak or lose it's suction on my face and I find that I experience a lot less of this with my Sight mask, perhaps because i dont have to turn my head as far to see the same area

i like to spear fish

• LB, in theory what you said about losing field of view is true. But in practical application whatever loss there is, it's negligible. A mask not fitting your face properly is an important albeit different issue. If the mask leaks on your face there's no arguing about that, you need a different mask. Maybe if the mask didn't leak you'd be in a better position to evaluate the effect of field of view loss. In the post above you have Pantoja, the man sees fish where no one else does, and he brings them on the boat too. If he says that he sees enough hehehe... I have no stakes with this mask, it's not part of our line up although I'd like it to be and I'm going to try and find a source.

• clearly Dan, I do not assume you are trying to position this mask as better for personal gain, I know you well enough to believe that you are an honest and wise man seeking to share and gather said knowledge.

It is in the same vein that I am sharing my experience.

I found the minima extremely comfortable, like crazy comfy, i just found that while i was diving with it i would find myself panning my head left to right and sometimes doing so with my head at strange angles, think looking under a ledge while dealing with current.
    this is when I found small leaks would occur, when my skin and face was distorted. I was thinking that with my Sight mask, I dont have to turn my head as far and I can scan with just my eyes, this distorts my face less and gives less of the impression to the prey that I am watching them, or so I imagine.

i find that perhaps the term peripheral vision is part of the problem. While i do value my peripheral vision for spearing because I can see a lot of movement better, it do usually use my main field of vision to actually hunt. the issue is then about the field of view that you can see without turning your head. This is where the minima fails in my humble opinion.

i look forward to trying a few more of Hau's masks so I can give a better review having only ever used my Riffe Sight, a cressi minima, a cressi occhio and a shitty us diver mask in bitching blue :)

i like to spear fish

• Dan: It's just too small. I don't like small masks even if I like to dive deep. I have a Sporasub Samuray, which is a Freediving icon that I don't use because it is too small.

What I do is rebreathing the air in the mask during my ascent.

There is a mask that is driving crazy all the europeans; Micromask from Technisub / Aqualung.

They say it is the most comfortable/lower volume/larger vision rate mask available for the money.

http://www.sportdiver.com/arti…light/Aqua-Lung-Micromask

I haven't tried it though.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Marco---If you could get one I hope you would be as happy with it as I am.
    LunkerBuster---Ya Mon, I love that Technisub:thumbsup2:
    You have to be a little careful with it as it has a smaller head strap than normal, but I haven't broken one yet. This mask is perfect for me, but maybe it is because of my close together beady eyes:D
    I have been using the SAME mask for 8 months very regularly with no problems at all. At the end of the day I just slide the mask in my fin foot pocket for protection and remove it the next day to start my dive:D
    I am pretty much a gear head and cannot leave anything as is:D, but this mask is perfect for me straight out of the box.:)
    This is just my opinion.

• Sorry I got off thread. What I should have said is that part of the reason I like the Technisub so much IS the peripheral vision it allows. I am sure that many of the mid water macks I see and shoot are because of the left and right and up peripheral vision the Technisub allows me. Many times I see the macks as they swim up from behind and pass me. Also, many times I have been on the surface staring at the bottom only to catch a movement at the top of the Technisub which turns out to be a mack or my yak I am about to run into. It is also very easy for me to look down at my weight belt to replace my knife in its sheath. I guess I just feel that my vision is less limited with the Technisub.
    Again, this is just my opinion.