Masks & field of view

• Many times I see the macks as they swim up from behind and pass me. Also, many times I have been on the surface staring at the bottom only to catch a movement at the top of the Technisub which turns out to be a mack or my yak I am about to run into. It is also very easy for me to look down at my weight belt to replace my knife in its sheath.

I have the same things happen to me with my mask so I can also say that I love my mask for the field of view it affords?

There are two factors here. First, to be able to say that one mask has a wider field of view than another one needs to measure one against another. I've done this with the omer abyss vs. the Cressi Minima by fixing a position and counting the number of tiles I could see on the wall to the side without turning my head. With the Abyss I could count one more 5" tile at a distance of about 5 feet.

The second factor is does it even matter if a mask has a slightly bigger field of view. At 40 fsw when you're looking at the bottom that angle that gave you an extra 5" tile at 5ft has turned into an extra 20ft on each side of what the mask with the smaller field of view is giving you. Can you even see everything in the area that a mask with a smaller field of view is giving you? I find myself scrutinizing bottom structure 10 square feet at a time no matter how much field of view I get. And about the macks, as fast as they're moving do you really think that spotting it 0.5 seconds earlier makes a difference?

• good points Dan, to be sure, i only would add that i do both scrutinize a small area and glance about trying to take very large mental pictures of structure and potential prey.
    it is in this second view where the larger field of view come into play. I would not say the half a second of early warning is why hau gets every mack in the ocean, but it might be that the ones that are outside of some spearos mask field can be seen by hau and then he turns his head.

i think that there might be mor ehere than mask difference, it might boil down to hunting style

i like to spear fish

• No fogging when rebreathing the air from the mask.

Hau: I haven't bought one yet, because my eyelashes are too long and I'm afraid it will be a PITA wearing that mask. Every time I go buying sunglasses, I have to try on 100 before picking one.

I've heard that one of it's properties is that it just squeezes to your face bringing the lenses closer to your eyes.

I'll love to try one though.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Back on track.. I was diving today and used a rash guard top for the first time since the winter. I found it necessary to tighten up the weight belt by one hole while I was in the in the water. I couldn't see the buckle no matter how much I bent and had to do it by feel. I don't recall adjusting the belt in the water while wearing larger masks but I also don't recall it ever being a problem like today. I must conclude that the smaller field of view is a factor to be considered, in this case it was indeed an inconvenience. So, I stand corrected and may go back to a larger field of view mask. Note that the problem wasn't with the width of field but down.

• interesting point...this adds a whole additional factor to consider beyond just hunting, that being practical considerations for just seeing underwater, look at belt/stringer, see your knife on your leg or upper arm...

I generally try to be able to do everything i want/need to underwater by feel just in case, that way in an emergency I could cut myself free from a tangle blind. that said, I would still rather be able to see while the mask is on :)

i like to spear fish

• I too love the Technisub Micro. While even at dealer cost it is not cheap, it has an awesome field of view and very low volume. I have a wide face and it fits me perfectly. My rule of thumb is that if I don't have to think about it while diving it is right. This mask takes SOOO much less air to keep equalized with as wide or wider field of view than just about any other mask.