• i just got certified to dive about four months ago and i love to spearfish. I cant wait to get my tank off so i can grab my pole spear and shoot mangrooves freediving. I shot a 16" magroove with my polespear on Friday. I have pushed myself farther and farhther but i have a constant worry of shallow water blackout how serious is it and is there any way to prevent it. I am open to any advice i love it and would really like to get to greater depths.

• Welcome to the forum. Which one of the dudes is you? You'll find a bunch of helpful guys here. I'm somewhat of a simpleton when it comes to diving. My advice to you is to work on relaxing at the surface, it's all in the breath up. Clear your head of all worries, being able to get to the fish, blackout, sharks, whatever.. and relax. Depth will come with time and your desire to reach whatever interests you down there. It's mostly psychological. Although nice carbon fins help :D

Oh and being weighed correctly so you'll float up from 15ft.

• i am the guy in the orange hat i have been diving the rigs off dauphin island i have been succesfully making it to the first cross member on the rig and been able to hunt there i am not sure of the depth approx. 40 feet i haven't been using weights though just swim trunks and the usual gear

• hmm I haven't dove without weights for a long time so I can't remember what it's like. You see I learned the hard way that it's necessary to wear environmental protection ie a wetsuit or at least rash guards. Much of the time it's a wetsuit and that will increase your buoyancy and necessitate the use of a weight belt otherwise it's too much of an effort to break the surface and dive the first few feet. Now in just swim trunks it may be fine. Just stop at 15ft and see if you sink or float. If you're neutral then you're good.

• Hi, welcome to the forum. I used to dive without weights up to about 20 feet (no wetsuit) when fishing the shallow reefs here on the island but weight myself now 'cause it's easier to go/stay on bottom. Also with weights it's easier to work/build up your depth and bottom time. I weight myself lightly with no wetsuit or heavier with it. Also follow Pargo's recomendation of being neutral around 15 feet and adjust from there when feeling more confortable freediving.