Spearing rays in Florida

• From Recreational Saltwater Fishing Regulations.

Manta Ray (No spearing).

Spotted Eagle Ray (No spearing). BTW Pantoja took this pic.

Other Florida rays which I suppose since they're not listed can be speared:

Southern Stingray.

Cownose Ray.

Clearnose Skate.

If someone has info to the contrary please post.

• I've heard cownose has really bad meat.

Another thing is the ray can be dewinged/cut into smaller pieces on the boat or in the water so you dont have to keep the whole thing, same with barracuda, jacks or any fish not listed on the recreational list, so it fits better in the cooler. Also separate the wings by putting them into a bag, the blood will spoil any fish it touches.

Davie Peguero

• This Ray was spoiled beyond any fix, the ammonia smell was overwhelming. I did keep all of it and grill it on the BBQ a little bit at a time, this would get rid of some of the ammonia smell. My dog ate all of it over a 2 month period. Sergio was more diligent about cleaning his part and tells me that it didn't acquire the smell and is edible.

About a week ago we caught a much smaller southern stingray, around 25lb. This one I was diligent about icing and cleaning in a timely manner. It didn't get the ammonia smell. As a matter of fact it had no smell whatsoever, nothing. It also had little taste, which is fine by me, and easily acquired the taste of the spices/marinade. What I liked about it most was the texture, I call it chicken of the sea.

• It's a common story. I've never had scallops. If I knew what they taste like I'd be able to say if ray meat can pass for scallops. Just the fact that ray meat has no smell or taste makes it feasible to make it taste like something else.