looking for freedive spearfishing club.

• Hello all, Im looking for a freedive spearfishing club to join in the Boca Raton/Pompano/Ft Lauderdale area. Im 39 years young and have been in the Ocean nearly the whole time, I love to Dive (scuba) spearfish and fish and hang out with like minded people. I have only been scuba spearfishing mostly because my cousin turned me on to a club here in the area that does it, this helped me meet alot of great people and get out in the water spearing much more often, we spear deep on scuba but in all honesty I want to freedive spear more, Im not one to get all personal and take sides over if it's correct or not to spear on scuba thats not my thing, I just enjoy mother ocean and what it provides for me and my wife (tasty fish) and I enjoy good mature company.
    I am taking the Performance Freediving course this October in Ft Lauderdale to improve my techniques and most of all safety, in so doing I would like to meet and dive with others and become friends to share good times with and learn from each other. I would like to know if there is a club in the area which agrees with what I said and maybe I can join or at least meet a few people to get to know them. I can easily pay for gas, food, drink on boat days and any membership fees if needed, I am just looking for good people to freedive spear with and become friends along the way, thanks all. I live in Boca Raton.

• I wouldn't say so Alan. 4 years ago when I went to a Broward Longfins meeting for the first time I got invited, actually it was my first time ever spearfishing from a boat and my first real Florida spearfishing experience. Then a couple of years later when I went again I got invited again. Getting invited once or twice is not a big deal. What's important is who you click with to go diving consistently.

• thanks for the story, ive never been to a club meeting so I cannot really say.
    With that said i take back my previous statement. I agree not everyone you dive with. you will click or become friends with.

• I can dive on weekdays after 2pm and either Saturday's or Sunday's. Im just wanting to meet a few people locally who freedive spear, I dont have a boat but can provide gas money, food, etc, etc.

• Well Im relativly new to freediving so I would say in the 30 to 50 right now, I take the Performance Freedive course this October and this will help me understand what I need to do in order to breath up properly and ventilation along with safety, right now I have simply done my best with limited understanding.