Adrian's new muzzle

• That's why the title of this thread is "Adrian's Muzzle" because I specifically asked for an open head muzzle to fit a Rob Allen that had a spike.

• Hey Marco the real reason I had Tin Man make it with a spike is because I use railguns mainly with open muzzles. Every time I tried poking a shark with the shaft would spring out of position. I was always afraid it would misfire because of this. Hopefully I can poke those nurse sharks and even use it a powerhead if I need to for other sharks. We'll see.

• Hey Tin Man, I just got the Muzzle. It looks even better in person than in the pictures. For some reason the pictures makes it looks like the line slide is off center. It fits really snug but I am going to put a small sheetmetal screw it just for peace of mind. Great job, really esta empingado. Highly recommended.

• It definitely beats having to do another installation for the spike. This new muzzle has a bright future IMO, at least with Florida divers. I think $45 is a competitive price considering some muzzles on the market sell at that price not having a spike nor being near the same quality. As a point of reference; the new Aimrite muzzle is very nice and sells for $40, no spike of course.

Congrats Adrian.

• I have never seen clear Delrin, but clear PVC and polycarbonate are available, and have similar properties. I would have to play with some to see how it looks after machining. Clear plastics usually don't look clear where they are cut, because of all the tiny scratches from the cutting tool. But it might be worth a shot.

How invisible would a clear muzzle really be, with bands through it and a shiny spike sticking out the front?

Or do we just want an "ice" muzzle because no one else has one? :cool2:

Edited 3 times, last by Guest ().

• Thanks Tin Man.

Spearos---I was just thinking that a clear or near clear muzzle would be the least detectable muzzle color.
    I HAD a pair of Omer Ice blades and FELT like I was detected less by fish because of the clear ice blades. I don't know if the ice blades actually helped me or not. It just seemed logical to me that two pieces of black plastic 27x9in waving silhouetted above a fish was much easier for a fish to see than my clear ice blades. [I got rid of the ice blades because they were way too soft].
    I think the hype about camo is mostly just hype, but if I can buy an item [muzzle] camo or not camo for about the same price then Ill chose camo or clear. Why not? Would camo HURT a spearos change at fish?

And, like Tin Man said, who else has an "ice muzzle"? :thumbsup2:

• I dislike the open muzzle, because of the shaft falling out of the rail. I also find it quicker to reload and wrap the shooting line with the closed. I dont see the aiming advantages of the open. I usually shoot on instict and dont usually line up and look down the barrel of the gun when shooting. Maybe its a personal option, congrats with the muzzle regardless im sure its very nice. Lets see about tin man making me a spike for the closed muzzle

Edited 2 times, last by Alan ().

• i believe for the rob allen open muzzle the shooting line is what holds the shaft down. the little horn on the muzzle that holds the line usually doesnt hold it correctly and the line pops of it.

maybe i am thinking of the wrong muzzle, ahhhh i dont know.

Edited once, last by Alan ().

• Jeff,
    out of curiosity, what's the difference in strength from the Delrin to the commercial reinforced plastic ones on all the railguns?

• Alan, I'm not crazy about the RA open muzzle as far as the line routing goes. The Aimrite muzzle is a very nice muzzle for $40 containing all the features of a good wood gun. We will soon be coming out with our own modified version of it which will sell for less.

• Jeff,
    out of curiosity, what's the difference in strength from the Delrin to the commercial reinforced plastic ones on all the railguns?

Tough to say, because I don't know exactly what the commercial muzzles are made of. A reasonable guess might be 30% glass filled nylon. In that case, the impact strength, stiffness, and ultimate tensile strength of the glass filled nylon material are about double the values for Delrin.

That is (in part) why I made the muzzle with a stainless wire line anchor, and stainless pin line wrap. By design, I eliminated small protrusions that might be vulnerable to breakage. The rest of the muzzle attempts to compensate for the reduced strength of the delrin material by avoiding major stress concentrations like notches, etc.

Edited once, last by Guest ().

• Well, I did some pool shooting with the new muzzle today and it works wonderfully. No issues whatsoever, the gun floats with the shaft out even with the camera mounted (on a 120 gun, not sure about shorter guns). I believe the spike could be an inch shorter too. It would help the buoyancy of the gun. After all we are just trying to poke not stab. I am very happy with the muzzle Tin Man, I need one more please. The length of the spike is no big deal, I know that sometimes parts have to be a certain size otherwise you can't machine it so if you make it the same I'll be just as happy.