The myth of easier tracking

• No euro gun could ever be compared with a wooden speargun in terms of durability. The performance between a Riffe Euro 130 and any other railgun of the same length for that matter is negligible . No railgun passing the 100 cm length is easy to track with. A railgun is better suited for ambush hunting in which the gun is tucked at the side and then extended towards the intended target. or extended and then pointed at the target. Swinging a gun most of the time is not even an option, even a midhandle is not suited for that purpose. Anticipation vs tracking kind of thing. Do not sell your Riffe euro, you will end up regreting it. 130 is a nice lenght, but it´s already entering the very clear water realm. I don´t see how an aimrite gun could track better than any other similar gun, maybe aimrite knows something that other manufacturers ignore. I don´t think the life time warranty has to do nothing with it. For the price an aimrite runs, I think Riffe is a far better rig than any aimrite in my opinion.

Good post monster and I really like the points I put in bold. People talk a lot about ease of tracking with one gun versus another, when in reality there's a big misconception. Any long gun is hard to track. If you really had to swing the gun fast you'd realize that practically any gun is not fast enough. It's planning the approach that's more important and what we most often have to deal with. A fish appearing fast out of nowhere is a comparatively rare event when hunting reef. Anyways once you get to guns that are as slim as guns could be whether in the wood or pipe category, the factor that affords the biggest advantage is the handle/grip and how much leverage it allows you over the gun.

• That hits the nail in the head, I really think and I had discovered that a comfortable handle is the best feature a speargun could have, is no matter if is a midhandle or a rear. Midhandles are easier to dive with, and easier to manuever in longer lenghts, but tracking is not an option, unless the swing is really short, and that could be better performed with a slight twist of the wrist with a great handle to depend on.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I cerainly agree that a great handle is important, but you're leaving out an option which works well with mid-handle guns - using the second hand on the butt to rotate the gun.

While it is impossible to track a fast moving tuna feeding on chum, there certainly are times when I can and do move the gun laterally through the water following the movement of a fish, or while carefully lining up a shot on a fish that is going to kick my butt if I don't hurt it badly. Having at least enough gun behind the handle to have the option of using the second hand to aid in swinging it is important for the way I handle a gun.

• I've never used a powerful midhandle speargun. My question is, if you're swinging the rear with your other hand isn't the gun more pivoting around the handle axis than actually completely swinging through the water? In this case isn't the wrist at some point no longer aligned behind the handle? Can't you hurt your wrist shooting like that?

• I've never used a powerful midhandle speargun. My question is, if you're swinging the rear with your other hand isn't the gun more pivoting around the handle axis than actually completely swinging through the water? In this case isn't the wrist at some point no longer aligned behind the handle? Can't you hurt your wrist shooting like that?

No, no, and yes if hand isn't aligned.

You're thinking about the swing wrong, gun and arm are always aligned throughout the swing. The rear section acts as a lever much like you're palm swelled handle acts like a small lever.

Davie Peguero

• No, no, and yes if hand isn't aligned.

You're thinking about the swing wrong, gun and arm are always aligned throughout the swing. The rear section acts as a lever much like you're palm swelled handle acts like a small lever.

??

In this case the swinging has to be very short, the water resistence is huge, if you maintain the gun and arm alignation it will took too long to be practical, the twist turn not aligned is more like a hail mary shot, and it´s dangerous indeed if you have a powerful gun, must sprain wrists are due a swinging movement like that.

Think about it, with a blue water gun you are moving your entire body to back up your gun, so the movement has to be both gentle and short, not just the arm, but the whole body. The rear placement of the second arm is more to add stability to the shot (back up mass) allowing a pivot with the shoulders

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• So if swinging a 4-6f long pistol underwater [rear or midhandle grip speargun] is the issue about tracking, why do we not have a stock on our spearguns like a rifle or shootgun has?
    Seems to me that a rifle or shootgun style stock would enable a spearo to much better control the speargun AND swing the speargun much much faster AND transfer the gun recoil to the spearos shoulder, not the wrist.
    I remember seeing some old, old spearos guns WITH a rifle style stock.