Liquid Image mask/camera

• I bought the "Scuba Series" Underwater Digital Camera Mask HD today from my LDS.
    I already own a really nice UW camera/housing but I found that I never used it cause photography seemed to interfer with my UW hunting.
    Hopefully this mask cam will do a good job and I'll start getting some spearin pix to share.
    Later I'll write a report on this mask cam.
    Thanks

• Dan---wow, again thanks for doing a search and posting of pictures
    The "mask" part is OK, it fits my face OK. The internal volume is more than my Technisub and the mask/cam is heavy but it seems like a good idea and I like some of the fetures like
    1. The camera is ALWAYS inplace and ready to use. Just reach up and push the ON lever.
    2. What you see is what you get, in other words, what you are looking at is what is in the picture as opposed to a gun mounted cam.
    3. There is a little internal red or blue light that blinks or steady when the cam is recording or the still pix is ready.
    4. For me with my older vision, seeing the screen of my UW cam while diving was very, very hard.

www.liquidimageCo.com

Again, thanks Dan and thanks for offering the computer help. You know I'll need it:D

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• 1.The mask part sucks cause the skirt is not black and lots of light comes in from behind the lenses.:(
    2. both lenses have a big + mark that is supposed to be for aiming the cam. :(
    3. The mask cam is very heavy.:(
    4. The mask cam is like tunnel vision compared to my Technisub:(
    5. Internal volume is HUGE compared to my Technisub:(
    6. It is almost impossible to see the red and blue indicator lites unless you shade the top of the mask with your hand:(
    7. The on/off lever and the mode lever is on the right side of the mask so you have to move the gun to your left hand to work the camera levers:(
    8. Like most brand new masks the mask cam fogged for 1/2 the day till I had rubbed it enough with denture toothpaste:(
    I'm sure there will be more negatives about mask/cam later

1. The mask/cam made it the whole day without flooding:)
    2. Whenever I wanted to take a picture all I had to do was look at my target, reach up and click the lever:)
    3. The auto off is great. Take a picture or stop a video and 2minutes later the camera turns itself off with a nice little beep :)
    4. The camera was never in the way or effected using my gun like a gun mounted camera could:)
    5. I don't have to unload the gun to take a picture of someone:)
    6. Just hoping that the picture quality ends up in this catagory instead of the negative catagory:confused1:

I'll add more after I spend more time with the mask cam

• LunkerBuster--
    1. I "think it will work" if the picture quality is good enough to override the negatives.:)
    2. The internal volume is definantly a big negative:(

Since I do mostly shallow dives the picture quality should be ok without strobes
    I had an old Nikonos back in the 80s. That one took 2-3 people to get a quality picture. 1 for the camera and 1 or 2 other divers to work the lights and strobes. It even came with its own pelican suitcase:@
    We also used 8 and 16mm gun cameras bolted onto our skydiving helmets "back in the day". we are lucky no one died from a neck injury as heavy as those cameras were:@

Spearfishing Store

Edited 2 times, last by hau ().

• Well, all that was to be expected. I don't know how you didn't figure it out in the store before you ever took it in the water. One thing that surprised me was about the light shining through the skirt because I've read this previously http://www.notcot.com/archives/2009/01/liquid_image_pr.php

A darker silicon skirt helps to shield the peripheral vision from distraction, while still permitting the LED light indicator to signal the user when recording photos and videos.

Maybe you should practice mask breathing.

• Used the HD ones during scouting for Nationals.

Footage was good and the idea is sound, but few issues I personally had:
    - No image stabilization
    - Natural tendency to lower eyes to aim caused video to be off for some shots
    - Bulky
    - Side tubes pressed on cheekbones, uncomfortable
    - Skirt too small, ill-fitting for my face
    - Mfgr process bad, need to toothpaste the hell out of glass
    - Mask markings annoying

Overall, it's an innovative product and they are very receptive to input. I am very interested to see how they improve the existing design and will likely buy their next generation of masks. :)

• My understanding is that the actual receptor/lens can be quite small, small enough to be clipped to the side of the mask without causing much hindrance. A wire can go from that to the bulk of the electronics which could have an arm band and sit on your arm. This wire can run behind your head. I don't know how much moving the lens 3" to the side will affect the footage, but it can always be cropped later.

• Hi Everybody,

I am from Chile and I have a question about the liquid image, scuba series camera. Maybe in your Land or in the place you currently dive the water is not so cold. In my land the water is cold, so gloves of 3 mm thicknes are mandatory

Do you think it is possible to handle the camera lever with 3mm gloves in the hand?

Best Regard
    Masterofscience

• Masterofscience--To answer your question, I use 3mm THICK gloves year round, even when using my LiquidImage 322. It is NO problem what so ever.

Warning--do not buy the "old style" Scuba Series Liquid Image model 320 or 321, I had one and returned it to corporte offices after a very short time in the water with it. I returned it because the image quality sucked.
    Liquid Image has since sent me the "new model" Scuba Series model 322. Make sure it is the 322 or 323. The 322 is the medium size and the 323 is the large size mask cam. There are many important change between the 320 and the 322 series mask cams that make the 322 a way better mask cam, IMHO. I have logged many hours in the water with the 322 already.
    Let me know if I can help further. :toast:

Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• Thanks a lot. I was wondering what was the different between both models.
    I have two additional questions:
    1) The quality.
    This camera has a CMOS sensor. Ten years ago the CMOS sensors were inside of very cheap and bad cameras (webcam, Camera of celular phones, cheap cameras of unknown manufacturer, etc). All the good ones (with good, I am not meaning only professional cameras, but each camera that takes a normal good picture) used to have a CCD sensor inside. So far as I know the CMOS technology was improved and now there is good cameras with a CMOS sensor inside.

Did you compare the quality of a photo taken out of the water with a normal good camera and this camera?

2) There is not optical zoom, right?

Can you help me to take a buy decision :)
    Best Regard
    MasterOfScience