Cure for the spearfishing blues...

• I haven't been able to get out in the water for quite some time, due to weather or simply the lack of a ride out.

Hunting season is finally open in South Mississippi!!! Unfortunately, it is only bow season for deer, which is not really an issue, but it restricts the weapons one can hunt with for other game, such as rabbit, squirrel, etc. to a .22 rimfire rifle or shotgun with #6 or less, shot.

I bought a Ruger 10/22 a few months back and was not really quite happy with the stock barrel. It came with a Tapco AR style stock, which I am very fond of, but the standard barrel just sucks!

The Post Office showed up with my package last night, and after bagging a couple of squirrels this morning with my previous set-up, I made the switch to my new Bell&Carlson Anschutz thumbhole stock and Magnum Research Carbon Barrel:thumbsup2:

I just got done resighting the gun in , and all I can say is WOW!!!! The groups tightened up by almost 200%:@

I am totally stoked! 10 shot groups @ >1" at 30yds. I am sure I could tighten them some more, but I just wanted to get the scope dialed in.

The gun weighs in at 3-1/2 lbs! And, it looks sick!!!:D

• Aaron, how much does a good air rifle cost? What is the range for a rabbit size animal? Do you have to hit it somewhere specific to kill it? How much noise does it make, can it be used without alerting the neighbors? Can used ones come with problems? Thanks and sorry for the derail John.

• Aaron, how much does a good air rifle cost? What is the range for a rabbit size animal? Do you have to hit it somewhere specific to kill it? How much noise does it make, can it be used without alerting the neighbors? Can used ones come with problems? Thanks and sorry for the derail John.

That one there is like $140 . I'd say out to about 40-50 yards you'll be good. Most of those were at 20 yards or less. I try to hit them in the head/neck, but one of 'em I hit in the heart/lungs and he was still out PDQ .

And yeah, you should be able to use it without worrying the neighbors much. I mean a hunting power air rifle is louder than a kids BB gun...but still pretty quiet.

I had so much fun the other nght I am going to look into some of the PCP's from Europe . England has building them down to a science.

• Aaron,

this is my BSF from Germany. Incredible accuracy and I kill rabbits with it all the time. I found this gun in a military surplus store and the guys had no idea what it was. I got for $150. It is the most powerful air gun I have ever shot. I have no idea what the FPS is on it. The gun is not even made anymore.

You are certainly correct about the Europeans knowing their shit about airguns!

• Dan, I have a nice Air rifle that shoots 1000fps and is very accurate w/in 40 yds. I will post up the name of the company when I get home

I used to go out and bag squrrels when my cousin was in town (cos he'd clean 'em :))
    I got mine with a decent scope for 150 from Cabela's about 6 yrs ago.

you just break the barrel like a side by side shotgun to load the pellet and that also cocks the mech, it is loud enough that people think I lit a single firecracker, still a quieter than a car backfire or .22

I have shot a lot around houses and never had a neighbor poke out or even indicate that they heard me

i like to spear fish

• Aaron,

this is my BSF from Germany. Incredible accuracy and I kill rabbits with it all the time. I found this gun in a military surplus store and the guys had no idea what it was. I got for $150. It is the most powerful air gun I have ever shot. I have no idea what the FPS is on it. The gun is not even made anymore.

You are certainly correct about the Europeans knowing their shit about airguns!

I like those German springers, John. Fun to shoot .

Check out this bad boy from the UK... it's a AA S410 .177 cal. with a lamping set-up . The craftsmanship on AA guns are incredible.

The other two are .45 and .50 cal. air rifles made in Korea .

• That’s a great looking .22
    I have a .22 upper for an AR with an ADCO 16” barrel its amazing how accurate they are.
    -
    Dan,
    This is the only real hunting air I have used,
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=195181
    This model had sort of a can on it to make it quieter. I was shooting out in the open it was somewhat quiet. I would be very careful using this around the outside of the home. They do look like real rifles.

Also, since I was a kid I had a cheap $40 Crossman which also did the job killing lizard and birds but the range is much less. . .

.Larry O M. . .

Post Script, maybe a range day up in Ft. Lauderdale would be a something we can all do?

Edit: wow .50 air rifle thats crazy. . .

• Speaking of bunny wackers...I went out the other afternoon and used my Beeman air rifle. Had a ton of fun... and got bunny meat to boot.:) Sometimes it's the simple outings that are a blast.

Shhiit Aaron, an air rifle, I love that stuff, beemans are british Rifles right? I would like to have a Beeman Kodiak Rifle, WTG!!

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Dan, those Pcp`s could be loaded with a scuba tank and a special valve at 3000 psi. The korean compressed air Rifles are capable of killing large game. There`s an american precharged compressed air Rifle that packs some serious wallop its name is Condor, and it has a Walther custom barrel on it, and shoots as powerful as a .22

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Do squirrels have enough yield to bother with? I've thought about it before.

The yield may be low, but I think they taste is much better than say, a chicken:D

I shot on one So Cal that was being a nusicance. I felt bad for killing it, so reluctantly decided to eat it. I was quite surprised at how good they were. I would eat them over chicken, anyday!

One squirrel is enough for a meal for 1 person, with sides of course.

• Shhiit Aaron, an air rifle, I love that stuff, beemans are british Rifles right? I would like to have a Beeman Kodiak Rifle, WTG!!

I think they are owned by Beeman in Britain, but from what I have gathered from Limey buddys is that they are not as high qulity as the ones sold in the UK. Biggest complaint is the trigger , bad triggers on 'em .

But then again, in the UK where you cannot have an air rifle over 12 ft lbs. , precision shooting is the name of the game.

• OK, been bored.

The Gulf oil spill still has recreational fishing shut down. Thought I might engage in a bit of "retail recovery" to cure my blues.

Found this sweet little deal at a local sporting goods store. The Rossi "Trifecta". One stock. Three barrels. Chambered in .22 LR, .243 Winchester, and 20 guage shotgun. Single shot break action. Perfect for hunting conditions around here in thick brush and woods.

.243 for white tail and hogs, 20 guage for doves and quail, and .22 for the rabbits and squirrels. I don't like using a shotgun for rabbits or squirrel. They are so plentiful around here that I can take my time to aim for a head shot. I hate cleaning gut shot animals and I also don't have to dig out pellets or worry about breaking any teeth over missed ones. $250:thumbsup2:

• The trigger is nice, much better than I expected. Still a bit on the heavy side. I put one 243 round through it just to see how it would handle. It was nice. I had never shot a 243 before. I expected a bit less recoil; the rifle is small, but heavy.

Ran a couple 22 shells through, as well. None of the open sights have been adjusted, so I am going to have to put this thing on the bench and get it dialed in.

• Those are some sick air rifles, look like sniper weapons. Man, I haven't thought about shooting since I left the service; I used to love it. I was on a sniper team for a few years. We would do 3 gun matches and sniper competitions all the time; even won a few sniper comps against some SF guys. Makes me wonder if I still have that deadly accuracy I once had. Rabbit and squirrel shooting was how I got so good at shooting when growing up; if you can get a kill shot on a rabbit or squirrel at distance while there are running that is a damn good shot; especially on iron sights. May have to head to the range soon and see what I have got. :attack2: