how to make a hybrid

• Yep, that's the one.
    Thanks for the tips on the bigger tube dia.
    I may just pick up a 1" i.d. tube so I can use a comercially available muzzle.

• very detail information with all the tools and dimension, I am planning to make one as my winter project.
    how do you glue the jbl track on the carbon tube? is it hard to level it with the enclosed track of the stock?
    Thanks

• the track comes with double sided tape so just peal and stick but i would recommend you clean the pipe with 50/50 water/alcohol solution before. as long as the pipe is installed straight both track should line up. the pipe also needs to be installed 1/16'' bellow the track in the stock which matches the thickness of the track.

steve veros

in loving memory of paolo

• Hey Dan, I think this would be a really useful addition to the gun building thread.

I wish I would have found this earlier. Tons of helpful information.

• ello man ,how you join the barrel to the wood stock,with screw?or epoxy? oter cuestion,in case to be screw dont inside water in the barrel?i saw some hibrid by gil and have screw in the stock trouhg the barrel ,sorry for me english i hope you understandme .

• Hey Steve you inspired me to finally start my own hybrid build, something I've been wanting to do for over 10 years! The question I have is on the channel you cut for the barrel. I'm getting a CF barrel with integrated track like Speardiver's barrel. So how would I make my cut for the barrel slot into the blank so that the rail track comes even with my enclosed track portion of the wood stock?

I'm a visual person and your pics really helped me visualize how to proceed, but without a picture of the same kind of barrel I'm a little stumped. On your build I guess you just installed your rail track on top of the barrel AFTER you inserted and attached the barrel, cutting the rail track the exact length of barrel from muzzle to stock.

I'm a simple minded island boy and could use a picture of your finished gun along with maybe some tips for attaching my barrel (with the track integrated) into the wood stock. I'm building a 55" hybrid rear handle plus....my Big Island Reef "Dream Tool"!

Thanks in advance!

Mahalo,
    Makoa

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• hi metellin,i hope you understandme ,i have a cuestion ,is this,in your hibrid the barrel is 1 1/8" diameter ok,the jbl track what diameter is ? because i have been look some track in leisure pro web but only fit 1" and 1 1/4" barrel ,mi speargun barrel is the seem barrel you have ,wich track you put in your barrel man? thanks

• hi makoa, i use to make a hybrid using an extruded aluminum barrel with a built in rail like dans carbon version. that gun had an open track so the portion of the barrel that went into the wood was not covered by the cap piece of wood that i use for a enclosed track (see my pics in post #2). the track cut into the wood simply matched the hight of the rail on the barrel and the barrel was glued into the wood. aluminum does not glue well onto wood so i had to secure it with a bolt like this one McMaster-Carr in the front but carbon glues better so you can avoid drilling holes into the barrel which raises the possibility of leaks.

thats the easiest way to do it and it works great but you can also do a poured in epoxy track in which case you use masking tape to seal off the end of the wood stock were the pipe comes out (see pics in post #2) and fill the void with epoxy. after it dries you can cut the track in the epoxy to match the rail of the barrel. this is also how you would do an enclosed track version of the gun with dans barrel since plugging the top with wood is not easy to do on a barrel that is not round.

finally, dans barrel is a bit under .125'' so if you use the bit i recommended the fit is going to be a little sloppy, i would make sure i thicken the epoxy with plenty of filler to secure everything.

sorry i dont have any pics at the moment but let me know if you have more questions, good luck with the project.

undersea, i use the 1'' track and i think i may have answered your previous question above.

steve veros

in loving memory of paolo