I got a boat

• Davie, there's already a vent there, you can see it by the strap on the wall closest to the console. It makes me think that originally that space was intended for a fuel tank. Maybe I'll add another vent in the back wall where there's already a hole. Can't have too much ventilation for those fumes.. The fire extinguisher and its mount was until now under the seat. But I don't want it there because if there's a fire it may be by the fuel tank and in such a case I don't want to reach in there to grab the extinguisher.

The battery was in a box under the seat. It was easy to put the battery in the box because there was access from the top. Now the battery will go in the console. It will be much more difficult to raise it high enough inside the console to drop it in the battery box. Is the battery box really necessary? Should I secure the battery to the floor inside the console with a strap?

• Is the battery box really necessary?

It provides some additional protection and containment if your battery ever leaks acid for any reason. The lid also keeps you from inadvertently shorting the terminals, but I guess that's unlikely if the battery is tucked out of the way.

Should I secure the battery to the floor inside the console with a strap?

Yes. You don't want it to overturn in rough seas (see above). Bouncing small boats are particularly hard on lead acid batteries even under the best of circumstances. AGM and gell batteries will stand up to the pounding better, but they're pricey.

• Ahh. In my case, the box is strapped down to the floor. So I can remove the combination (battery inside box) to maintenance the battery. Then slide it back in place, and strap down. It's not something that I have to do often, so it's ok with me that it takes a few minutes to do.

• It's required by USCG for the battery to be strapped down. A box is better but not required.

Every seen/heard a battery explode??:@

• It can happen....other than scaring the shit out of you(sounds like a shotgun) and battery acid going everywhere, no biggie:D

• they are only like 100 buck more no? I used to use those optima batteries for the sound systems I used to do, I think they are gell no? I know they are deep cycle marine batteries but I kinda always thought they were gel cell

i like to spear fish

• You need MARINE CRANKING batts whether wet or gel cell. Deep cycle batts used for cranking is a quick way to kill that nice shiny batt you just bought.

Cranking batt= High amp draw for a small amount of time. (engine starting)
    Deep cycle batt=low amp draw for a prolonged amount of time. (electronics,pumps,trolling motors)

A marine gel cell(yes there is a difference between a car batt and marine batt) is closer to $200.

• cool, thanks mariner..i knew the deep cycle were good for long draws and they can crank with very little power left...makes sense that they wouldn't be optimal for repeated cranking.

I know there are different ones cos I used to use the marine deep cycle...it had a red top and matched better with a lot of the fiberglass work :)

i like to spear fish

• I know there are different ones cos I used to use the marine deep cycle...it had a red top and matched better with a lot of the fiberglass work :)

:rolleyes1:

Red tops are for automotive starting.
    Blue tops are for marine starting.
    Yellow tops are for deep cycle.

• they are only like 100 buck more no? I used to use those optima batteries for the sound systems I used to do, I think they are gell no? I know they are deep cycle marine batteries but I kinda always thought they were gel cell

Optima batteries are AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) construction. Basically layers of lead and electrolyte soaked fiberglass rolled up into a cylinder like a big jelly roll. There used to be an add where they fired a bullet through one and it didn't leak and continued to work.

• cool guys, thanks.

haha mariner, clearly my memory is not holding up on me hahaha, thanks for the lesson...either that or the guy who sold them to me was stretching the features of the products :)

Jeff, would that mean that they would work as well for Dan's purpose of not getting damaged by the tossing on a boat? If so, sounds like that is cheaper than the GellCell, even if only a little bit.

i like to spear fish