Shorediving in the cold

• I was out on Sunday with my buddy at Commercial Pier it was cold but we were more excited to get out we both got spear-guns for Christmas, but we got out to the reef just past the pier and saw very little of anything out there. Usual reef fish and one mackerel that was huge but split as soon as we spotted him.

My questions is, is it worth it to be shore diving if I actually wanna catch fish when it is this temperature.

• Alright, guess I will try tomorrow then. Hopefully I will catch something good.

BTW I got a Mako like you suggested Davie.

• Shore diving is productive any time of year, but there are ups and downs for any area. Don't set your goals as high as you would with a boat which allows you to change location very fast if one area is not productive. If I really wanted fish for dinner I feel that I'm guaranteed something on a shore dive be it a porgy or a 12" hog or a few small snapper. Sometimes though I prefer to return empty handed if I couldn't get even one fish that I'd feel pretty good about.

• . Sometimes though I prefer to return empty handed if I couldn't get even one fish that I'd feel pretty good about.

couldnt of said it better myslef,,

and yeah hitting the first reef is hit or miss sometimes.. i, and im sure many others, have spent 5+ hours many times just crusin along the ledge and in between the 1st and 2nd without seein much,, but then sometimes in the last 30 min thats when u see that golden fish youve had ur eyes open for.,. the fish are there,, you just have to find them and hunt smart and try to be quiet IMO

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• I think I was being kinda loud when I saw the Mack and it was in our way back in, I am going to try again somewhere else tomorrow maybe Atlantic or Deerfield. Hopefully it will be better.

I did see a few porgy type fish but they were probably right at the limit so we let them be.

• I went for some shore dives about 3 weeks ago here in NC. Water was 40 something degrees. My face was completely numb so it was hard to put my snorkle in my mouth after coming up from a dive. Vis was 4ft. at best. No fish, but still had a blast.