Small Health Question

• I was diving today, and I have had a cold recently and while diving I was having pain in my sinus region.
    It did hurt but I was more concerned with "the hunt." Actually got some good fish today.

After I get on shore I take off my mask, and blow out as usual expecting the whole mess of stuff that accumulates in my nostrils to come out, but I got something extra, a shit load of blood in the mix, almost like I had a nosebleed, (really red blood). I have never had a nose bleed before though. Did I mess my self up. Just asking maybe someone else has experienced this.

• One time event, don´t worry, that comes from a ruptured blood vessel, due to extreme irritation= Cold+ flu + salt water+ pressure. Don´t worry too much about it. Should it happen again go talk to your doctor.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

Edited once, last by monster slayer ().

• Kyle, I get the same from time to time, I think it's normal when you dive with blocked passages. You ruptured some blood vessels by forcing equalization. It's really better to not dive when you're still blocked up from a cold because sometimes getting it to the point you did, will now take longer to heal than if you would've waited to clear up completely before going diving. Sometimes it's worth it :) the last time for me definitely wasn't, my sinuses were messed up for 3 weeks. It's nothing permanent so don't worry.

• 3 weeks, that kinda sucks.The day before it really hurt I could not get 5 inches of water above my head.
    Hope I don't have to wait that long,the water has been so clear and flat just about perfect these days, I really couldn't resist.
    Kinda scared the crap outta me though.
    Good to hear its nothing serious, Thanks for the reply guys.

• When I began freediving I would get frequent nosebleeds. I guess the weakest capillaries burst and get reinforced when they heal.

If your sinuses hurt when you descend try no to push it. You will reach a point where the pressure is greater than the blockage and something will give and hurt like a bitch.

Davie Peguero

• Last time I dove with a cold, I got a 3 month sinusitis. I had to take antibiotics for 1 month...

Was worth it? I'm not sure. I got a nice wahoo but lost a nice black grouper that holed very deep. I had to let him there (with the shaft) after feeling like my forehead was about to explode... A shame...

I won't do it again.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• i would get some saline solution and flush your sinuses...that will keep the area clean and could prevent a harmful infection...as far as permanent damage, sounds like you are fine, just dont push through pain...it is your body's way of telling you something is wrong :)

i like to spear fish