Homemade Pneumatic speargun?

• I always here talk of how spearfishermen in Cuba use “Homemade Pneumatic spearguns”.
    I’m curious about this because creating the seals and such seems imposable with the given tools they my have. Pneumatic are very exacting instruments from what I gather.

When you guys refer to “homemade” is this from scratch or do they use a broken used Pneumatic and improve upon it?

Have any of us on here created such a device from scratch?

I think seeing a step by step would be a great contribution. . .

Thanks,
    Larry O M. . .

• I have a buddy that made them in cuba, he told me his old man era un "tor-nero..?" and had a shop where everything was made from scratch. I'm not sure about the trigger mech and muzzle's but the barrel and inner tube was made to your desired length.

• You'd be surprised to see what can be with whatever you have. I saw a documentary on Cuba, one of the persons they did it on had his auto shop in the back of his house.(Technically it belonged to el commandante:rolleyes1:) The cars were Russian from the 50's, this dude would make his own brake pads:eek:.

I saw the same documentary. Pretty cool. The also made some parts by hand, even had some customers from the US.

My guess is they use an existing handle and do the rest themselves.

Davie Peguero

• You'd be surprised to see what can be with whatever you have. I saw a documentary on Cuba, one of the persons they did it on had his auto shop in the back of his house.(Technically it belonged to el commandante:rolleyes1:) The cars were Russian from the 50's, this dude would make his own brake pads:eek:.

I've seen it there, a professional mechanic in Cuba will have a hole made of cement over which you'd drive the car. One time I saw the ball joints that they invent, unbelievable. I love that kind of ingenuity. It is a product of a place where the time of the individual is worth very little.

As far as pneumatics; I've always seen them use a premade handle and trigger, usually a very old mares, the rest was home made. The best shafts I believe were made from some kind of car spring. Pantoja knows more about this. The inner and outer barrel are no big deal really, all you need is a lathe. The pipes you can scrounge from another industry.

My interest in pneumatics is mostly nostalgic. I think band guns are better. The nice thing about pneumatics is that every part is made in large runs so they are cheap to produce and therefore cheap to buy. They will do an adequate job putting fish on the table.

• hola les puedo decir que si en cuba hay escopeteros que te lo hacen todo pero todo even the handle.los hacen de aluminio fundido o de teflon que lo hacen a mano como una escultura .hasta de cajas de cerveza plasticas pero no fueron un gran suceso .el canon (inner barrel)de bronce,acero nikel y hasta de titanio .yo tengo un sten que era de mi padre cuando yo tenia 10 anos y ahora tengo 37 y todavia tira durisimo.tiene un canon de bronce de 14mm y la varilla es de una linea de lavado de papas 10mm tambien durisima, por mucho aire que le metas a la escopeta la barilla nunca se doblara.tambien tengo un par de assos 135 y 115 todos como vienen de la fabrica lo unico que les he cambiado es el canon y el freno de boca y ahora son casi inrompibles mi ultima escopeta es un cyrano con mambizado a esi si que no le he cambiado nada y me gusta muchisimo.

• A good friend's brother was one of the most known "escopeteros" from Havana; "Pomo de leche" was his nick and everything was made from scratch; the pipes, as alecrin said, were made out of stainless steel or titanium (or bronze, or whatever available in the black market), the handles were made out from white polymer (called teflon, but is actually reinforced nylon), the o-rings were also obtained in the black market and the shafts were the most precious part of the guns, since no special/treated steel shafts were common.

I have seen some pictures around, when I find them I'll post here. :;

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Simply awesome. Thank you Marco. I'll be coming back to this thread in the future to see these pics again.

Have you ever used the pneumatics where the air cylinder is behind the handle? How are they compared to the conventional style? Seems to me that it solves the problem of muzzle heaviness. I don't know what the negative aspect of this design is.

• You're welcome folks!

I had many guns with the handle in the middle, Nemrod Clipper from Spain first, Cobra sub from Brasil later. Very noisy and less powerfull than the current Mares.

The Cyrano has the muzzle heaviness problem, but if you get the new Mares Spark mimetic (Old Sporasub Stealth) with a 7 mm shaft, it is better balanced than the Crano, more powerfull and cost less...

Again, if you modify the barrel to avoid the water to enter it (Tovarich, Kara-yo or Mamba), will be even much better.

There is also a modification in the web where someone attached a "cobra" shaped float to the muzzle. Apparently it worked well.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.