open muzzle, closed muzzle spearguns....meaning and differences

• I have search the forum and didnt find only a couple of things about open/closed muzzle spearguns. I really dont know sh%$@ about this i think is a good thread for new and intermidiate spearos like me..So any suggestions or explanations are welcome..:):thumbsup2:

• I think for the most part it is personal preference, but I have also heard that in strong currents and commercial fisherman use closed muzzles. I like an open muzzle personally.

• there are a few factors and each muzzle can be better for many configurations.

speed of reload- for me the open is faster but I have seen commercial guys who used the closed muzzle and could reload in like 3 seconds.

shaft type- for a small closed muzzle you must be using notched shafts for a large closed you can used a notched shaft, pinned or mini sharkfins, and an open muzzle can use all shafts

line arrangement- in a closed muzzle you have more option to route the shooting line, in an open muzzle you need to use it for securing the shaft

line shaft vs freeshaft- only line shaft for open muzzle guns

aiming picture- I like the open picture an open muzzle given but I have heard spearos say they can aim easier with a closed muzzle cos it acts like a front site.

I'm sure there are more, but it is largely preference

good thread idea :)

i like to spear fish

• I like both, right now I have a Pelaj Nemesis that is closed muzzle, and I like it a lot. They say sight picture and fast reloading are the main features of open muzzles., the difference is negligible.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Monster you really feel the difference is negligible? as to all aspects or just the site picture?

for the sake of loading I think i can reload 45% faster on the same gun with the open muzzle as opposed to the closed...

i like to spear fish

• yup, the thing is I don`t aim too much, I just line up and let it fly kind of thing. I really like both set ups tho. And for the reloading, open muzzle in a railgun can be quite a bitch. I had this 120 kanji that took me a whole hot minute to reload.

• In an open tracked, open muzzle gun as Riffe,I just place the shaft in track and slide it to position. In a railgun, there is no sliding, cause the shaft falls, so you need to align everything in place. I am sure it takes some practice thou. With the closed muzzle is a no brainer.

• I fished with closed muzzles most of my life and I can reload such a gun in no time , but since I shoot a lot of my fish from holes I did break a muzzle a couple of times shooting fish at point blank and the shaft didn't exit the gun completely. So I started using open muzzles about 10 years ago on open track wood gun (Riffe) and it was fine but when my comp3 was stolen and tried a friends railgun with the raised rail it was harder to load just like Monster said. Nowadays I use both kinds about the same.

• Attan un ''muzzle'' es la punta del arpon por donde pasan las gomas. Si es ''open'' abierto lo unico que sujeta la varille es el hilo o ''shooting line'' ejemplo los arpones riffe. Cuando es ''closed'' cerrado tienes que meter la varilla desde la punta hacia atras por el agujero del muzzle al estilo de los jbl y los champion, la varilla es sujetada por el muzzle y generalmente centralizada en el muzzle por una corredera o ''slide'' aunque algunos arpones modernos tambien sujetan la varilla con el ''shoting line'' a traves del ''muzzle'' al estilo de los arpones mako ''closed muzzle''. BTW la mayoria de los ab biller son ''closed muzzle'' pero venden un ''open muzzle'' opcional. Maybe someone could post pics of the muzzles if they have them available.

• I might be wrong. but i used an ABBILLER for a long time. and they are not close muzzle. the muzzle is open. you can clip trough the top of the muzzle with a light pressure well depending on shaft diameter. It comes close enough that the shaft won't come out of the track. that is also open. But i remember sanding a little bit of the plastic on top and let me load from the top easier . Still the line don't have to secure it. I never had the problem with the shaft coming out of the rail. Do to the little pressure that it requires to keep in place. and you barely have to turn the gun upside down and still wont come down. I say a really good gun for starters. IMO. And yes i tried a sharkfin shaft ones That a friend modified for me. Before i switch to RIFFE. So it does shoot with tabs on the shaft. CHEERS

• You might be right Core, I'm not sure ther were billers that i saw could have been a sea hornets. I still have one as loaner and it is closed muzzle.

• i think i understand now. now i see why open muzzle you can load faster..if i dont misunderstood i think ab biller are close muzzle..mine is a ab biller 42 special..im learning more to buy a new one.. im thinkin 120 or 130 not sure..(not ab biller)..thanx a lot for the help..i even cant sleep im an spearfishing and this forum addict...i need rehab...:D

• everyone is correct :)

many of the older billers and all the seahornet's I've seen have fully closed muzzles.
    new billers have the semi-enclosed muzzle (seen in the pic as b10) which will not allow the shaft to fall out but can "snap" the shaft through for quick loading...this does allow for any type of shaft to pass through(pin, small fin and full fin)

I filed mine out a leeeeetle bit for easy of quick loading.