TOBAGO catch of the week feb.2010

• hi there,
    since i learned to resize pics, i will try to post some more now and then.
    here some pics of my catches this week, with my highlight on wendsday, catching 30 rockies (rocklobster or spanish lobster?) in 3 hours. found a really nice ground.
    all the best....blessings

here pics from monday and tuesday

• Nice tinu...I love to collect those rock lobsters...I go at night with a flashlight and that is it. They crawl allover the place..in Some places you can get 30 or more in a few hours..in just 10 feet of water or less.. Plus those you have are in a pretty good size...Sometimes they confuse them with the spiny lobsters.. and tell me that I'm getting small spiny lobsters and I'm not meeting the correct size...They don't know the difference. between one or the other. That specie right there. is far from being protected. and they are everywhere in the Caribbean. Pretty good eating..:laughing3:

• yeah, they are very good eating. i go for them at night sometimes. those where caught at day. not much people hunt them here, mostly because they dont even know they are there.

• awesome report tinu, did you get over to Trinidad at all for carnival? I had a few co-workers who went home for it and had a blast, I thought of you.

thanks for sharing the report and the pics.

i like to spear fish

• nice catch of fish and bugs but don't you think they are too many? don't mean to be a dick but even if there is no legal limit and no competition for the fish taken it doesn't mean we can take as many as we can today and not worry about tomorrow. take what you need to eat unless you're selling them and even then.....

sorry to be a wet blanket but.....

steve

steve veros

in loving memory of paolo

• Nice catch Tinu.

Steve: I think he fishes for living. That's far less than what a profesional can get with lobster traps. Anyway, probably Tinu will chime in.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• nice catch of fish and bugs but don't you think they are too many? don't mean to be a dick but even if there is no legal limit and no competition for the fish taken it doesn't mean we can take as many as we can today and not worry about tomorrow. take what you need to eat unless you're selling them and even then.....

sorry to be a wet blanket but.....

steve

Metelin..this lobsters are everywhere..and those you saw are in a mature sate..old in our terms.. They don't grow more than that. By that time they spawn many many times.. They are referred in the Caribbean as roaches,..because you can find them everywhere(like a plague)..in a lot of numbers specially during the night.. They dwell during the days inside rocks and crevasses...not like the spiny lobster that like to stick the head out all the time.. or go out for a walk during the day. Trust me i have seen hundreds in just a normal size reef..but we just take the mature ones..the little ones are like the size of a grown crawfish. And in just that reef you can see there little eyes glowing all over the damn place. When you buy a lobster tail you can tell witch one it is by looking at the color and the white dots..If you see many dots over 20 small dots to be more specific and a dark redish color..that is one of this and not the regular spiny lobster.. If you see some bluish color in the tail and about 6 bigger dots. that is the regular spiny lobster. Anyone mind to add to this.. :)

• In no way I'm trying to bother nobody I'm just using this opportunity to teach our fellows spearos and show our friends about this 2 species so when they do visit the Caribbean they can tell the difference between this 2 species.

Spiny lobster. This has a size limit.

Spotted Spiny lobster..This is what tinu caught ..they don't have a regulation on this.

• Honestly I don't see the big difference on taste..I love all of them including the Spanish lobster.. or cucaracha like they call it in Puerto Rico. They are good eating too. And a little harder to find than any lobster i know.

For commercial eating restaurants like the spiny lobster because the tail will be bigger. the tail on the spotted one is really small. a 2 pound spotted lobster is a rarity ..their tail will be weight in ounces not pounds.. The spiny can reach over 15 pounds if they get to live that long. I have caught a lot over 10 pounds. But a handful of spotted that will reach 2 pounds.

• thanks for the info guys, like i said i don't want to come across as judgmental or "holier than thou". there are people out there that are trying to stop all types of fishing including our sport and look for pics of what they may consider to be an excessive catch to bolster their argument.

spearfishing while freediving for me is the most ecologically sensitive way to harvest the seas but it's an uphill battle trying to convey that message to the eco set and it's a battle that we have already lost in california with closures of some of our most productive areas, i'm sure florida and the gulf of mexico is next.

please don't misunderstand me, i love to see people have a good day especially if their livelihood depends on it but i think we need to be sensitive of how we present ourselves and how people perceive us or we may loose our way of life.

steve veros

in loving memory of paolo

• While I understand your concern Steve and support your idea, I think that most of these pics show a fish market. I think it's also apparent that the location is not the US. Where's the fun if we can't see how spearfishing life is in other countries? To me it looks very similar to what I've seen in the Bahamas.

• Are the spotted spiny lobster regulated in Florida? Cuz I see them all the time lol

Have you let them go thinking they are the regular spiny lobster?? and they were too small. ??
    That is why i posted this so people wont get that confused :laughing3:
    But will be nice to know what rules they have in Florida Waters, if they have any?. I know about the spiny lobster, but that's about it. I bet they don't have any on spotted ones. or even the Spanish ones.

• Have you let them go thinking they are the regular spiny lobster?? and they were too small. ??
    That is why i posted this so people wont get that confused :laughing3:
    But will be nice to know what rules they have in Florida Waters, if they have any?. I know about the spiny lobster, but that's about it. I bet they don't have any on spotted ones. or even the Spanish ones.

Lol I dont even bother trying to get them cuz I know they're too small! I've definitely seen a lot of them inside the deep ledges and caves. I knew they were different than the spiny lobster, but with lobster being such a touchy subject with law enforcement, i didnt even bother.

• hi metelin,
    when i did post these pics i didnt mention that all the catch was done with comercial purpose.
    i thought it was obvious, and most members would already know that.
    that day, my boatman had a order from a long year customer for 10 pound of rocklobster for his wifes birthday. so i really pushed it a bit in order to achieve that goal. and catching such an amount in daytime is not so easy. i ended up with 15 pound in 3 hours. in the same place at night you would probably catch 2-3 times more. if you can load so fast :laughing3:
    critics are always welcome, as long as they come in an constructive way.
    all the best