Best cooler for a spearfishing trip

• I've never done longer than one day trips, so I haven't paid much attention to the quality of coolers. For me size was important but keeping time no so much. I was also doubtful about whether there's really a difference between a marine cooler and a regular cooler. Anyways I had some people over Sunday and put two bags of ice in the cooler. Afterwards I left the ice in the cooler to see how long it will last. It's been 3.5 days and after emptying the water there's still the equivalent of one bag of ice left in the cooler. I remember someone told me that it's good for 5 days. So I guess I recommend this cooler, it's an Igloo 128qt. Another thing worth mentioning is that it was used/old when I bought it, so there's little if any deterioration due to only time.

I may run the same test with my coleman cooler which is around 80qt and not marine grade.

• A big decision for me is the hinges on the back. I hate the ones that are on the normal big coleman coolers that are just a piece of plastic that eventually wears out and snaps.

I think "marine grade" refers to the hardware being stainless. I am not sure, though. Also, the plastic would be the same.

• A big decision for me is the hinges on the back. I hate the ones that are on the normal big coleman coolers that are just a piece of plastic that eventually wears out and snaps.

I think "marine grade" refers to the hardware being stainless. I am not sure, though. Also, the plastic would be the same.

x2 thats a deal breaker for me. Yetti coolers are bad ass but $$$$$

• Yetti igloo and Frigid rigid are all good coolers. yetti and frigid rigid are really expensive but really high quality. Igloo is a solid cooler that is still good but not as expensive. most decent coolers will hold ice for a while if they arent opened and closed a lot and they are having to cool other objects.

• I've replaced the broken hinges of my Coleman cooler with stainless steel hinges. It's a nice upgrade but doesn't justify the overall price increase for Marine coolers. The SS hinges are not more than $20. The Igloo marine cooler also has plastic hinges, but they seem robust.

• The igloo hinges break after a while. If the cooler starts sliding in rough seas it doesnt take too long before they break. SS hinges are a good upgrade.

• The salt causes water to freeze a lower temperature. This allows the water in the cooler to drop below 32 degrees and helps keep the fish extra fresh.

• I have a YETI 120QT....its badass :) I think it held some tuna steaks in a black truckbed for 5 days before they got rid of them all.

• The size of the cooler is my primary concern as well. I am only wanting a cooler that will keep ice for at least a 24 hour period. I prefer to process my fish as soon as possible.

I just found a 120qt Coleman Extreme for $52.00. It claims it will hold ice for 5 days @ 90 degrees F. I just don't see how as the fit/seal of the lid was not very good. I will test and see how it does as well.

Either way, a cooler that size for $52 is a bargain.:)

• The size of the cooler is my primary concern as well. I am only wanting a cooler that will keep ice for at least a 24 hour period. I prefer to process my fish as soon as possible.

I just found a 120qt Coleman Extreme for $52.00. It claims it will hold ice for 5 days @ 90 degrees F. I just don't see how as the fit/seal of the lid was not very good. I will test and see how it does as well.

Either way, a cooler that size for $52 is a bargain.:)

If size is a concern & you're gonna be doing short-term icings... you might want to stick with the older style chests that aren't Extreme or 5-day. Those new 5-day coolers just have thicker walls, taking away from internal space. If external size isn't an issue, then thicker insulation is never a bad thing.

Know what you mean about the lid seal... I go through every one until I find one that's difficult to open/close (good seal). :D

• I've replaced the broken hinges of my Coleman cooler with stainless steel hinges. It's a nice upgrade but doesn't justify the overall price increase for Marine coolers. The SS hinges are not more than $20. The Igloo marine cooler also has plastic hinges, but they seem robust.

You can get stainless hinges at boating stores. They sell them by the foot.

Davie Peguero