Dangerous gear - speargun wrist strap

• Put some strings together and they will tangle some time or another, is just a matter of time. That would be an awesome device to attach to my kid daughter at the supermarket or when it gets real crowded. Ditto, that device is not just silly but dangerous. Should be against the law.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I'm attaching all my guns to my belt, but that is something that might be OK for the type of diving we're doing in NE: striped bass in 30-70 ft, medium to heavy current, lots of structure to get gear tangled into.

If the situation asks for, will not try to unclip the gun - I will just drop the belt. That way the gun will stay where is dropped and I'll be able to recover it at a later time, and since I am under stress already ditching the belt is a good thing.

This setup would not work on deeper waters... or the setup would work, but you cannot recover it :)

I wouldn't use the thing from mako to attach the gun to my hand as it is now: while I can be prepared to drop the belt, I have a harder time accommodating the thought of dropping the arm and going to recover it at a later time.

There is one small change that actually would make that contraption work: the buckles are "pressure-rated" (they are designed to give up at a certain force). If the buckles would be easily interchangeable then you could choose between buckles that give up at 10lb pull, 20lb pull etc depending on the type of dive/diver. That would be a more elegant solution compared to a string that will break.

Other option would be to attach it in the same way a float line is attached -with a snubber.

I still prefer, for my shallow dives, the gun attached to the belt and being dropped with the belt.

Stefan

• Another problem here is jewfish. Even if you are shooting small fish a 400lb jewfish eating the small fish will take you down easily.

Davie Peguero

• i dont know exactly the purpose of this thing, but whenever i need a place to rest the gun, like when messin up in the kayak with my body still in the water or dickin with the anchor line ive always jsut hung it off the weight belt by a tuna clip, which i think will work well until i shoot myself in the foot

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• I wrap the float line a couple of times around my arm when need be. In anticipation of taking a dump I'd pull in the float and hang everything on the stringer including the weight belt. That was before a two piece wetsuit. Now my procedure is to loosen the belt, bring it up high just below my chest, undo the beaver tail and fold up the jacket. This way I can hold on to the gun with one hand and fin away from the discharge with the other hand, as the pants down around the knees prohibits kicking (enjoy the visual LOL). And now that we ended up talking about excrement I feel we've come around full circle back to this wonderful piece of gear.

• I think so. Here's the definitive guide.

• i dont know exactly the purpose of this thing, but whenever i need a place to rest the gun, like when messin up in the kayak with my body still in the water or dickin with the anchor line ive always jsut hung it off the weight belt by a tuna clip, which i think will work well until i shoot myself in the foot

Yet another reason I am going to the in-line floatline method. Just drop the gun; the float will hold it.

• i dont know..i think mako did that you know to get money from every idea they have...obviusly just by seeing it you know its risky..i never think on attaching some leash to my wrist (spearfishing) or to my weight belt..i dont think is safe for the big beasts im seeing lately in the waters of the island..

• This way I can hold on to the gun with one hand and fin away from the discharge with the other hand, as the pants down around the knees prohibits kicking (enjoy the visual LOL).

Getting enough propulsion with one hand is difficult. Plus you look weird flailing around like that.

You have to "Jockey" it and dolphin kick upcurrent.

Davie Peguero

• hehehe maybe the hand finning is more to get the turds away from you, but it seems like you're getting away from them too. I've done this dolphin kick you speak of. It's gotta look hilarious. To capture someone on video doing it would be priceless. I still owe you for that time you grabbed my lobster stick BTW.

• I know this is an old thread, but it reminded me of an incident that happened years ago on the gulf coast. I at the time took it as a huge cautionary tale, and have due to the story never considered attaching any gun to myself.

A scuba diver off our coast maybe 7 or so years back was was doing some spearfishing scuba style. He was targeting large grouper. Now I'm not sure what species it was he shot or the size. I remember at the time thinking it had to be a goliath, but seeing their protective status it wouldn't make sense. His bright idea, as opposed to other gear, was to loop and fasten chain around the gun to his arm unconcerned I imagine because he could depend on his tank. He shot a large grouper, and failing a kill shot, was at that point at the fishes will until he could wrangle the fish in. Unfortunatelty, that never happened and the man was dragged to depth where he ran out of air and perished. I cannot remember many specifics seeing how its been at least 7 or so years since it happened, but I do remember it causing quite a stir in the community. I will try to look up a copy of the article from our local paper when I have a bit more time to post.

I mean no disrepect, and it surely was a tragedy, but this should have never happened. The lesson is obvious, and even more important to freedivers who do not have a bottle fulll of air to back them up. Entering the ocean is a risk every time, but we have the ability to limit that risk if we use our heads. Why attach your gun to yourself when it is not necessary? It disturbs me to see products such as this marketed mostly because i can imagine when I was 14 first shooting fish I may have thought it great idea lacking the wisdom I do now. I can guarantee you I would not have had a problem shooting at a 30lb grouper poking out of a ledge at that age, gun attached or not. Its all well and good for expierienced diver's to be aware, but its the other end of the equation that scares me the most about this product. Just my two cents on it though.

• It disturbs me to see products such as this marketed mostly because i can imagine when I was 14 first shooting fish I may have thought it great idea lacking the wisdom I do now.

Exactly, and just to make a couple of bucks. That's what happens when someone who's not a freediver starts selling stuff to freedivers. How long would it take me to make a dozen of these and put them in the store :rolleye2: Thanks for sharing the story Ben.