Pipin video- long shots with different guns

• So are we supposed to infer that long shots with this line of gear is a testament to the gun's ability? I'm assuming this is the case as Pipin seems to be Pimpin this video via several forums. How many shot misses or fish rip offs were edited out? Takes much more skill to narrow the shot for some reefs species as opposed to taking quasi hail mary shots to peddle products.

• How irresponsible could be to put a spear on a fish in shark infested waters, and put that on a vid? Maybe is a common practice with some spearos, but it strikes me wrong about the message he´s sending in. Some newcomers to the sport or other people could get that wrong. The subject is controversial tho, cause some people could argue that this vid probes that sharks are not a man´s killing machine", which is a cliché. But I see it as irresponsible nevertheless..

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• And what about that silly device to load the pneumatic s.g. Looks kind of dangerous IMO. The spear is too close to the head/neck when loading it. Should the shaft slips from your hands due to the effort or after a while when you get tired and that could get hairy. I dont´t like it either.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• In regards to Pipin , we all know he is no stranger to controversy considering he has been accused of being responsible for the deaths of several freedivers, including his wife.

• I think that the purpose of the video was to show how many different guns in the Persistant line have the capabilities of taking long shots.

As far as the tool/gadget to load the gun, i'm not sure if your referring to the extra latch on the speargun, or the loading tool put on the tip of the shaft, but from the guys that I have seen load pneumatics, that's pretty common place.

• this is a case of commercialization and, in my opinion, a shameless marketing stunt, creating something that has the potential to hurt our sport.

The effective range of my two guns should be roughly 3x the shaft lengths, so that is 160x3=480+the shaft itself, so 640 or 6.4 meters...plus my arm is a long range shot..yet, 99% of the time i shoot fish that are 5-10 ft away

the odds drop so greatly when you are adding range that it is almost not worth reloading to take a hail mary...

it seems like exactly what ben is saying, which is his effort to highlight his guns, all the while modeling the worst ethics of our sport.

i like to spear fish

• I don't understand what all the fuss is about, sharks, ladder loader, loading assist bar, all pretty normal stuff.. shameless marketing stunt, the potential to hurt our sport :confused1:

Whether because of video quality, camera angle, or distance from the subject, I could not get any idea of how close or far the shots were. The one time that I was pretty sure it was going to be a long shot on a grouper the camera faded out before the shot. If the goal was to demonstrate the gun's accuracy at a specific distance, there are better ways to do it, such as as using marked distances in a pool and a target. Surely a company with such resources can arrange a little pool session.

I found the heavily decaled fins coming into the frame every so often extremely annoying. Reminded me of the stickers skateboarders put on their boards.

As far as a vid just showing a couple of guys having some fun spearfishing, I thought it was alright.

• Dan you have pretty much summed up all my thoughts on this video. Except the fins... I like overly decaled fins :D:D:D:D

• There's nothing special about Pippin or his overly marketed hyped speargun and accessories line in my opinion....or that ugly as hell speed boat there diving off of...lol.

• jeez... you guys are majorly hating on him....

Fact of the matter is hes a heck of a diver and I doubt all you haters could even get close to holding your breath that long...

Sure persistant isn't the best speargun on the market, BUT dont go bashing guys who have achieved great things in the sport.

• im not a fan of pipin by any means but honestly it just looks like a video of someone using their line of equipment to me..,, who wouldnt do that? anyway i saw the persistant stand at the blue wild and the stuff is by no means special.. and decaled fins are cool, but not when theyre shaped by gothic emo designers :emo:

and i wouldnt question what monster slayer says hes a la paz guy

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• I'm glad I posted this video. Whether you like it or not; it elicited a lot of discussion.:)

• i would like to add one thing...my reaction to this video is biased by the thread that pipin started over on SB about "your longest shot" as though it was something to celebrate and strive fro.

that attitude, coupled with this video, is the reason I reacted the way I did. I am pretty sure I did not say anything that was hateful or personally attacking but I do think that his actions are irresponsible and i would not hesistate to tell him that.

Ben, you know me pretty well. I am not a shit talker, nor do I shy away from saying what is on my mind. I think this is a tool to sell his guns and I still believe it is poor spearo ethics.

i would love a good video of him shooting fish interlaced with shots of him shooting a target at 7 meters in a pool. to me, there is a huge misconception about spearos and we all are charged with the task of being ambassadours of our great sport/way of life. he is exchanging his responsibility to hold spearing in high respect for his desire to sell guns.

is that a crime? no..but I still dont like it

i like to spear fish

• Ben I am in no way a hater or bashing Pippin I just call it like it is, it is just that there are lot's of great freedivers and spearo's around the world, what Pippin has accomplished is great to an extent, but, he is not some sort of superman of freediving or spearing which he has come off as at times and his Persistent line is nothing more than a copy of other great spearing lines long before him, some of his stuff is nice and some is quick let's make a buck spearing gear like his land hunting fall leaf wetsuits and folding dive knives...these are actually dangerous to use and can cost you serious O2 time if needed to use, but, hey he is Pippin and he doesn't care about that so long as he has gotten his piece of the spearing world pie. Pippin has now come to several forums and starts a discussion like proper breath up and long shot guns and then never comes back to answer any of it, it is a marketing ploy and I don't respect that...and like O2 has said he has been involved with some dangerous methods of freediving.