Spearing near sharks

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdqXrkNmRz4

How irresponsible could be to put a spear on a fish in shark infested waters, and put that on a vid? Maybe is a common practice with some spearos, but it strikes me wrong about the message he´s sending in. Some newcomers to the sport or other people could get that wrong. The subject is controversial tho, cause some people could argue that this vid probes that sharks are not a man´s killing machine", which is a cliché. But I see it as irresponsible nevertheless..

• Hunting with sharks is common in the Bahamas ( or around Cuba) and you just have to deal with it. And sharks are not a man killing machine- we are just by-catch to them.

• I dont think that it is irresponsible to put a shot in a fish near sharks. Anyone who has dove wish sharks frequently knows that there is nothing to be afraid as long as you are aware of your surroudings.

Its all about someone's perception of things and past experiences IMO...

• Pretty normal stuff? I dare you to put a spear into a fish in front of a couple of sharks :confused1:

That may be normal to spearos as Pipin and Cameron Kirkconnel, or Rodolfo, but honestly, I rather not. Is like shooting deer in front of a pack of wolves. Not my cup of tea

Just a proof of it, if is so normal would you dare to get your son spearing at 100 ft and sourrounded by sharks? I don´t think so.

The fins look cool by the way.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• By putting a spear into a fish in front of a couple sharks, do you mean shooting cobia off sharks LIKE TONS OF PEOPLE DO EVERY WEEK?

Its all a matter of being comfortable around sharks and knowing their behavior. Sharks are not animals to be feared, but respected.

• just read any knowledgable spearfishing manual, including Carlos Eyles and Terry Maas, and they clearly state. " Abandon area, after the first shark shows up" That´s directly from BWH´s. Terry has dived with the most dangerous animals known to man, but he knew that a lot of people with different backgrounds were going to read his book.

• I have dove with sharks and I have been in the middle of a shark frenzy and me and my partner (Gonzalo Mata) were attacked and harrassed by one. We ere spearfishing among them. Sharks are creatures to respect and to fear as well.

• Spearfishing in sharky waters ain't that bad..A lot of the spearos here have been in that situation.. You shouldl be cautious..but do not show fear..once you fear, you panic then the shark will notice you big time, like they mention before assess the situation, and the species you are dealing with, most of them have a personality that will hint you of their intentions...if they get stupid let them have the 5 foot cold steel:D. that will take care of it. Or a Dan's special PH. :)

• Monster slayer's arguements about spearing around sharks are not substantiated. Spearfishing around sharks is not irresponsible in my opinion. Just like any other sport, ours has its dangers. Sharks and spearfishing go hand in hand. Like i have said before, sharks are not to be feared. They are to be respected. They can smell fear and like any apex predator will take advantage of it.

• Monster slayer's arguements about spearing around sharks are not substantiated. Spearfishing around sharks is not irresponsible in my opinion. .

Yeah sure, when you have kids of your own, and get them spearing try to explain that to your wife. :rolleyes1: :nono:

Hunting and attending school among lions is pretty common among the Masai people too. Not going for it either. You like arguments, but there´s a difference between an opinion and a matter of fact. If you were harrased by say, a bull shark for instance, you would think differently, mark my words kid.

• And the kid would probably say: "I have been harrassed by a big bull shark, and believe me, they are sweet hearts and bla bla bla," I´m not buying your ludicrous statements. :nono:

• Monster, Ben has in fact been harassed and charged by a bull, he was certainly not too keen on them then, but he did maintain...

I am with you though....I don't like to hunt when I have had to deal with sharks..I dont feed them or surrender my space, but i relocate on my own terms :)

i like to spear fish

• Monster, Ben has in fact been harassed and charged by a bull, he was certainly not too keen on them then, but he did maintain...

I am with you though....I don't like to hunt when I have had to deal with sharks..I dont feed them or surrender my space, but i relocate on my own terms :)

Exactly, I thought the argument about sharks was clear and over. Yes you deal with them, period. Pushing the envelope with sharks or even with sea lions is not my cup of tea definetely. I like saying that driving drunk is not irresponsible as long you respect lights, stops and do it in a calm way hahah. :toast: