Spearfishing carp

• Don't want to get into a polemic here, but I've heard many different opinions. Carps are good eating or you shoot them for fun? How do you cook them?

They're edible but I just shoot them for fun.

• soo do you eat them or what???????????

"Carp" is the plural, and no, we pop the air bladders and stick them next to crayfish nests. They are devoured within a week or two by the crays or by catfish.

Alex

• i think doing that is not good for the karma. the fish's and yours too.

Karma is about as real as the tooth fairy, and we're doing the environment a favor. This is a subject that's been beaten to death on other forums.

Alex

• what is the purpose of that? just askin...population control?

Karma is about as real as the tooth fairy, and we're doing the environment a favor. This is a subject that's been beaten to death on other forums.

• what is the purpose of that? just askin...population control?

They are an invasive species in a lake that is itself artificial. They serve no purpose in the lake's food chain other than eating the eggs of other fish, as well as vegetation. Nothing preys upon them. Keeping their numbers under control helps maintain stocks of more desirable game fish, as well as recovery efforts for endangered species. A lot of the other game fish (large and smallmouth bass, stripers) prey on the young of the endangered species as well, though.

Alex

They are an invasive species in a lake that is itself artificial. They serve no purpose in the lake's food chain other than eating the eggs of other fish, as well as vegetation. Nothing preys upon them. Keeping their numbers under control helps maintain stocks of more desirable game fish, as well as recovery efforts for endangered species. A lot of the other game fish (large and smallmouth bass, stripers) prey on the young of the endangered species as well, though.

nice!!!!....just wanted to learn...thanx bro...

• They are an invasive species in a lake that is itself artificial. They serve no purpose in the lake's food chain other than eating the eggs of other fish, as well as vegetation. Nothing preys upon them. Keeping their numbers under control helps maintain stocks of more desirable game fish, as well as recovery efforts for endangered species. A lot of the other game fish (large and smallmouth bass, stripers) prey on the young of the endangered species as well, though.

the qustion was if you eating the fish.
    the answer was :they could be eaten,but i shoot them for fun.
    this answer is not good enough, and can offend people in their diving-ethics.
    good that you find the time to add this post . you cant expect that everyone here have the particular knowledge of environmental problems that occur in these places you dive.

• the qustion was if you eating the fish.
    the answer was :they could be eaten,but i shoot them for fun.
    this answer is not good enough, and can offend people in their diving-ethics.
    good that you find the time to add this post . you cant expect that everyone here have the particular knowledge of environmental problems that occur in these places you dive.

Everyone is entitled to their own sense of ethics and conduct. Keep in mind that "Shoot what you and eat what you shoot" originated in the ocean where life is in a "natural" state, and the existing balances and species need to be kept intact for our benefit as well as their own. Just like ANY moral code, it is there for a highly logical, biological reason, and not because of some unwavering, divine proclamation that blindly decrees "because I say so". The fragile ocean and its reefs are where I learned to spearfish, so that philosophy resonates strongly with me as well.

Freshwater, however, is a completely different ballgame - we're dealing with the legacy of past generations of humans building dams, diverting rivers, introducing different species for food and for catch and release fisheries. The damage has been done, unfortunately. The native species which the Mojave indian tribes depended on for food (example: Colorado pikeminnow) are nearly extinct, so the ethical implications are very different.

Perhaps Daniel should have answered "I shoot them for fun AND to help control their numbers, and to refine my shooting skills so that when I shoot more sensitive species in the ocean I have a higher chance of landing them".

My own sense of ethics views life as a continuum, not as scattered individual dots that are isolated from one another. Hence, nothing ever truly goes to waste. The carp get recycled within the lake, or their biomass just gets plain removed from the system and becomes part of another when a coyote eats them.

As far as their eating quality goes, I've tried it and personally find it to be really foul even when cooked right. Another issue that is often encountered is that their lateral line runs very high on their bodies, so anything other than a perfect head shot either hits the gut, hits the meat, or hits the kidneys, or all three. So the meat often gets spoiled as a result of getting speared.

Edit: maybe Dan should move this to another thread so it doesn't distract too much from the records discussion.

Alex

• thanx bro....i really have learn a lot...i never had done freshwater spearfishing...here in pr is prohibited..please keep the freshwater pics and reports coming..:thumbsup2:

• !!:cool2:
    again, the he question here came up if someone shooting a fish and not eating it ?
    the first answer was the fish was shot just for fun.
    if that answer would have been left alone like that, i would consider to talk about fishing ethics.
    but that answer already had been clearified with a further explanation. case closed for me.:thumbsup2: