Tautog and Sheepshead - Virginia

• I took my annual trip to Virginia to see my family and friends. I got to dive a couple days but the viz was horrible.

Not bad for a day of freedive shooting in 3ft viz. Depth was 50ft. Gun was a Mares 70cm pneumatic. I shot a lot more fish, but they aren't internet friendly. I didn't know where to put this report.

12lb to 9lb tautog

12lb sheepshead

• Great fish Greek:thumbsup2:. Do you dive the Chesapeake up there? I was once invited to dive when I used to work for a company based out of Richmond, but boat broke down a few miles from the dock and never did get the opportunity to dive it again.

Any strippers or was the viz just that poor?

• Great fish Greek:thumbsup2:. Do you dive the Chesapeake up there? I was once invited to dive when I used to work for a company based out of Richmond, but boat broke down a few miles from the dock and never did get the opportunity to dive it again.

Any strippers or was the viz just that poor?

There are more strippers here in florida :D

I shot them on the bay bridge tunnel. I know the area very well so if i get decent viz i can get some real nice fish. I saw some stripers but they are small where i dive. The bigger ones hang out over the tubes.

I usually spear some nice flounders but viz was way too bad.

• Very nice shot placement.

Are those the same sheepshead that we get here? How far north do they range?

How does the tautog ease of processing and yield compare to the sheepshead?

They are the same sheepshead but the largest sheepshead here is the smallest there. There are mutants there. I am not sure how far north they go. Maybe new jersey?

I am not sure which fish you get more meat on. I would say tautog. The fish is very tasty.

• How much light did you have at 50ft with three feet of vis? Impressive haul!

Mike

When you land on the bottom, you have to wait there for a bit for your eyes to focus. I usually put the speargun pointing down so i can find the bottom. I would wait sometimes 30 seconds to a minute for something to come close enough to shoot. Tautog have a white chin and that reflects light so it makes it easier to shoot them. I do shoot a lot of shadows and sometimes the fish is bigger than i thought.

• Shore diving or boat diving?

I'm grew up in that area but learned to spearfish in California. Would be interesting for me to get some fish "back home".

Alex