Hog Dog 14Sep08

• Seaweed, I, and a friend Austin went out on our friend Kris' boat (ApneaSpearo on Youtube/Spearboard) last Sunday. Went out of Miami, visibility was kinda milky all day, but we managed to get enough fish.

After getting the anchor set after three tries, we got a chance to dive over some concrete pipes that held some pretty nice fish. Kris pretty quickly got a 5 lb Mangrove Snapper and I got a 3lb Hogfish. Throughout the day we were also able to get 5 bugs and bunch of Schoolmaster/Mangroves.

Here's the cooler:

Nice Mango and Hog:

For a little perspective -> that's a 14.5 lb Jack Russel Terrier, he's a son of a bitch (literally, hehe).

My girlfriend/fiancee/overlord rubbed in a little Jerk seasoning, breaded, and fried it. She also made this really nice mango chutney (Mango, Red onion, Cilantro, Red Bell Peppers, Lime Juice) and sliced up some avocado that went super delicious with it. I cooked up some chipotle black beans and some rice [Jasmine - I'm asian]. Lobster tail was saved for future consumption.

Edited once, last by JimCuda ().

• Nice hog Jim. I like that "overlord". Those Jack Russel sure are smart beasts. We have a terrier mix as well similar to the JR and she is a "lil' bitch". Much different temperament than my larger breed. Don't asians also have Basmati rice?

• Nice catch and nice hog. Were the pipes really big like 6' diameter? Cool dog. My pup already eats the fish heads complete, did you try it with him?

The pipes were that big. I swam through them a couple of times. Really fun. I filleted this fish and pulled the belly/throat meat to feed Hammond (the dog). I don't really let him loose on the fish because he'll leave a nasty mess.

Nice hog Jim. I like that "overlord". Those Jack Russel sure are smart beasts. We have a terrier mix as well similar to the JR and she is a "lil' bitch". Much different temperament than my larger breed. Don't asians also have Basmati rice?

The dog is pretty smart but thinks he's bigger than he is. He's not as hyper as other ones, all around good dog. I actually have a plethora of rice choices: Basmati (Indian, which is asian), Sushi, Brown, and even Uncle Ben's:0.

• Nice Hog Jim.

Good meeting you briefly. Glad to see you guys bagged some innocent sea creatures.

• Nice Hog Jim.

Good meeting you briefly. Glad to see you guys bagged some innocent sea creatures.

Innocent? He was coming right for me!

I've always thought that the fish always look smaller in pictures. After shooting it you're excited and happy. Then the pics come out and it just looks O-K.

Marco, I used Jamaican Jerk Seasoning, it's a paste made from a lot of different spices/herbs. It has a pretty strong flavor so it must be used sparingly.

• Jim, sorry to derail your thread.

But I have noticed a large amount of Asian influence

in Jamaican Food and vice versa. I am guessing alot of Asians migrated to Jamaica?

Nice Hog BTW:thumbsup2:

Edited once, last by Alan ().

• I've always thought that the fish always look smaller in pictures. After shooting it you're excited and happy. Then the pics come out and it just looks O-K.

There are a few effects. There's the one where you shoot the fish and only when you get your hands on do you realize how big it really is, this is my favorite. Then there's the opposite. Sometimes it also looks bigger or smaller than you thought when you raise it up out of the water or put it on the boat deck. I don't think pictures fall into this category as you can usually make the fish look as big or small as you want by taking the pic a certain way. It just takes a little patience trying a few different positions. Regardless from your pic I can tell it's a big hog, shit he's longer than your shoulders are wide :D

• I'm not really sure, Mon, but I've noticed a fair number of Asians in Caribbean islands. It's kinda funny because of the accents. What makes sense to me is that there was an incredible spice trade in the 1500-1800's and that's how we got all this mingling of flavors. That's why the British love tea and so do Chinese.

Oh, I attached more pictures for Davie. I didn't originally post them because he didn't pay me my modeling fee. Also, I didn't want the post to be all about ME, more about the trip. That big mangrove snapper wasn't my fish, either.

• Jim: You're asian from where originally? Asia is a big Continent...

I have been both in Jamaica and Trinidad. In Trinidad 70% of the people are originally from India, 27% "creole" or black (I'm sorry, I hate to say "african-american" and in my Country is not politically incorrect say just "black, mestizo or white"), 2% white and 1% other. In Jamaica I would say its 90% black, 5% white and 5% other.

One more curiosity: Is it legal to spear lobsters in Florida? Here you are not supposed to...

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.