How big do lobster get

• I know when the pilgrims came the lobster were around 6ft long. I believe I read somewhere that a lobster never stops growing.

Davie Peguero

• Who have I read is from Venezuela here? The biggest lobster(spiny) I ever saw was in Isla Margarita when I was 10. That lobster had to have been as big as the one in the pic. If I remember it was like 10 or 12 lbs. It was freaking huge.
    I was trying to find the Pic of the Maine Lobster that Joey the owner of Mama Mia's Restaurant(Circle in Hollywood) had. At one point an Aquarium wanted to buy it from him. We ended up eating it stuffed with crab over at Bacarrat(Al Baker's Club). I don't know if he still has the picture there or if he still owns the place, but if he does, the pic should be there. The thing was the length of a 8 person round table.

Edited once, last by Toledo970 ().

• Here's the whole thingy.
    Lobster History
    The lobster is a crustacean in the Homarus genus. Having five pairs of legs including two large foreclaws and a curling tail, it very much resembles its land counterpart, the scorpion. The word lobster comes from the English loppestre and Latin locusta. Lobsters are saltwater creatures, with many varieties found around the world.

At the time North America was receiving its first European settlers, lobsters were abundant, often washing up on shore to form piles up to two feet high. Since they were so plentiful and easy to harvest, lobsters were a frequent meal for poor families near the coast. The disdain for lobster slowly waned over the centuries, and the poor man's chicken soon became the rich man's prize.

By the 1840's, commercial fisheries were in full swing in Maine, catering to a public that couldn't get enough of these crustaceans. Shipments soon were spanning the globe giving rise to the fame of Maine lobsters. Land transportation brought the lobster inland as well, reaching Chicago in 1842. Soon there were lobster palaces in most major cities, where affluent diners showed off their wealth by consuming several lobsters at a sitting.

By 1885, the lobster industry was thriving, with production reaching 130 million pounds per year. Fishermen were rejoicing at the unheard of earnings of ten cents a lobster while consumers were complaining of high prices, paying ten to twelve cents per pound.

Unfortunately, the voracious appetite of the public took its toll on the lobster population, and within little more than twenty years, the lobster beds had been so depleted that production had dropped to only 33 million pounds per year.

Due to strict conservation measures, production has again risen to over 70 million pounds per year in the USA, with additional amounts of other varieties being supplied by Mexico, Australia, South Africa and South America. Today, many of the "Maine" lobsters now come from Canada.

These lobsters of yore were much larger than we are used to seeing today, often weighing in at forty or more pounds, whereas the average market size now is one to two pounds.

The world record lobster was caught in 1977 in Nova Scotia, Canada, weighing in at 44 pounds, 6 ounces, measuring nearly four feet long. A 42-pound lobster taken in 1935 now proudly resides in the Museum of Science in Boston, Massachusetts. Considering it takes five to seven years for a lobster to reach the weight of one pound, one can only wonder how old those lobsters were, but the guess is around sixty to seventy years.

• Cat Island in the Bahamas. Stay tuned, I'm writing an article for HSD...

• Have you been to Margarita, Marco? It was in one of those places to eat right on the beach. It wasn't one either, there were many. Also other huge fish(for the species). Something about underwater volcano or something. Don't know if it's BS, but I believed it then.

• Ño!

WHAT!?

Cuidao....!

I have been many times in Margarita. Also participated there in a spearfishing valid for the national championship 5 years ago. Fisnished as the first "no margariteño" in that one. 6th overall. Old good days...

People from Margarita are known to be kind of "exagerated"... :rolleyes1::)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.