Railgun spearshafts?

• What brand does everyone prefer? I'm not paying $50 for an RA shaft. I am used to paying $38 or less and now it seems everyone has raised their prices for the same or even less quality product. If they keep this up I will just buy a custom gun and use riffe shafts :(

• I think Daryl Wong sells them for like $40, and Flfreedivers for like $35 or something. I'm like you though I do prefer RA shafts.

• I think Daryl Wong sells them for like $40, and Flfreedivers for like $35 or something. I'm like you though I do prefer RA shafts.

I snapped a DW shaft the 2nd day i used it by shooting a 16" mangrove snapper. I will not be buying those or the KJ shaft that I noodled on the first day. I used to use sumora shafts until he stopped stocking them and now i am shit out of luck. The "Freedivers" shafts were the ones that sumora.com sold and they are sweet but I can't find anyone who imports them.

• Spring Steel RA shafts are the best hands down in my opinion. Even if they are $60 I would still pay it. There is no shaft more robust and bend resistant than a spring steel shaft. I have shot so many "shaft bending fish" with my 7mm shaft (that would have destroyed my Stainless shafts) yet my Spring steel seem almost untouchable. Usually my RA shafts will rust to death after several years before they get bent. My Stainless shafts often get bent after a trophy fish and its into the trash with them. When your in some remote trip and need something you can count on its Spring steel. I'm not into trying to straighten shafts because after they get bent once they are just never the same.

I say you should just eat the cost and stick with it.

• Spring Steel RA shafts are the best hands down in my opinion. Even if they are $60 I would still pay it. There is no shaft more robust and bend resistant than a spring steel shaft. I have shot so many "shaft bending fish" with my 7mm shaft (that would have destroyed my Stainless shafts) yet my Spring steel seem almost untouchable. Usually my RA shafts will rust to death after several years before they get bent. My Stainless shafts often get bent after a trophy fish and its into the trash with them. When your in some remote trip and need something you can count on its Spring steel. I'm not into trying to straighten shafts because after they get bent once they are just never the same.

I say you should just eat the cost and stick with it.

I have had my sumora shaft for 3 years and it is even older than that since i traded another shaft for it. This 7mm shaft has taken HUNDREDS of fish and has outlasted every RA shaft I have ever owned. I just can't get another one to replace it with. The RA shafts I have had rust away before they can get bent. Great shafts with a terrible coating.

• I've just straightened a RA and a Sumora shaft a week ago. Both will bend like any other shaft. I have straightened many shafts and when you do the job right they function perfectly well. Based on my experience and the force I needed to exert with my hands to straighten a RA Sumora, Riffe, Ray Odor, H Dessault, Pursuit, and others shafts, I find the RA and Sumora to not be any harder to bend than average. Of all the conversations I had with guys claiming the RA shafts to be more bend resistant, none have actually tried to bend the shaft between their hands, while this is something I do all the time. There must be some psychosomatic effect at play here for them to claim those rusting shafts are more bend resistant. If you're curious and plan to come over to check out Pursuit gear, I can let you bend an RA shaft that I have here so you can see for yourself.

With all that said there are definitely shafts that are softer than others, I don't like those. But consider that there's a sweet spot between hardness and ease of straightening the shaft back. You can use an 8mm shaft that is more bend resistant, but some fish at some time will bend it. Then it will just be harder to straighten on the spot. I like the 7mm shaft, it has good bend resistance and is easy for me to straighten. Those of you who have seen me straighten a shaft know what I mean.

Matt, where exactly did the DW shaft snap and how did it happen?

• I've just straightened a RA and a Sumora shaft a week ago. Both will bend like any other shaft. I have straightened many shafts and when you do the job right they function perfectly well. Based on my experience and the force I needed to exert with my hands to straighten a RA Sumora, Riffe, Ray Odor, H Dessault, Pursuit, and others shafts, I find the RA and Sumora to not be any harder to bend than average. Of all the conversations I had with guys claiming the RA shafts to be more bend resistant, none have actually tried to bend the shaft between their hands, while this is something I do all the time. There must be some psychosomatic effect at play here for them to claim those rusting shafts are more bend resistant. If you're curious and plan to come over to check out Pursuit gear, I can let you bend an RA shaft that I have here so you can see for yourself.

With all that said there are definitely shafts that are softer than others, I don't like those. But consider that there's a sweet spot between hardness and ease of straightening the shaft back. You can use an 8mm shaft that is more bend resistant, but some fish at some time will bend it. Then it will just be harder to straighten on the spot. I like the 7mm shaft, it has good bend resistance and is easy for me to straighten. Those of you who have seen me straighten a shaft know what I mean.

Matt, where exactly did the DW shaft snap and how did it happen?

I have a pic somewhere but the tip just broke off. It was a small snapper the shaft hit a rock and the tip shattered.

• i know it is not an answer to your question, but it is easy to prevent the rust, I have an RA shaft that is 3+ yrs old with not a spot of any kind on it. I keep a rag in a ziploc bag that has some 3in1 oil on it...once my gear is dry I simply take the rag and wipe the shaft once...done

i like to spear fish

• i know it is not an answer to your question, but it is easy to prevent the rust, I have an RA shaft that is 3+ yrs old with not a spot of any kind on it. I keep a rag in a ziploc bag that has some 3in1 oil on it...once my gear is dry I simply take the rag and wipe the shaft once...done

Same here.

• I don't really mind if they rust.... I've only had one shaft totally rust, and that was a bad batch of coating. It still killed fish just like the other ones, until it bent. Other than that, the tips rust... no big deal. I like that they are cheaper than stainless shafts.
    RA shafts or Riffe shafts....... they all bend, it's just another expendable piece, so don't worry about it.
    --Dave

• It was one of the newer shafts. Daryl Wong offered to replace it for FREE and I declined. I did not think it was fair but I do think he is a very stand up guy and makes a good product with an amazing warranty. I will be ordering one of his guns one day.

• Thanks for the pic. It doesn't look too bad in the sense that you can sharpen it. But I've never seen a shaft break like that before and it makes me wonder about the shaft as a whole. Or it could just be a random weakness in a particular spot. BTW if that happens to you during a trip just keep fishing with the shaft as is.

• Yeah it would still work but if a shaft bends or breaks I usually donate it to my friend's lagoon. If you have a trophy fish you don't want your shaft to snap during the fight. I don't re-straighten my shafts, if they bend the metal has weakened and it may also break. I don't have a garage or the patience to straighten shafts either...lol. Those are just my personal opinions and may be complete BS so take it with a grain of salt.

• It was one of the newer shafts. Daryl Wong offered to replace it for FREE and I declined. I did not think it was fair but I do think he is a very stand up guy and makes a good product with an amazing warranty. I will be ordering one of his guns one day.

I dont understand the picture. Did the tip just break off? Is that what i'm looking at?