Spearfishing Courses..

• Whats up community, hows everybody doing.? Being that im new to the awesome world of spearfishing, I figured I should ask a stupid question. How important is it to take a course in spearfishing.? I was strongly recommended on doing so for a few different reasons, safety & downtime being of most importance. However, the cost of these courses are pretty costly ($450.00) and I really wasnt sure on what I would gain from it. I currently feel comfortable and well informed from the postings provided from you guys (by the way, thanks) and I figured I can just keep picking your brains as I stumble into certain situations. Is this wrong.? So I ask you, do I kick out the extra COIN on the class or do I continue to grow thru personal experience and the help from this kick ass forum. Thanks in advance.
    Danny from Miami.

• Hi Danny,

Classes are a great option to get you up to speed. If you dive with an experienced person you can watch them and learn a lot. There are many members on this forum residing in South Florida that may take you out.
    If you are in the lower keys for any reason and the weather is amazing send me a pm as I will probably be making a spearfishing trip.

Goodluck and dive safe!

• I'm going to take the FII class this November, heard alot of good things from the class. Of course hitting the water as often as possible is always good to.

• I think personall experience and diving steadily are most important. having a dive buddy who is well experienced that you can dive with often is really great. thats not always an optionthough if you have trouble finding such a person or making ur schedules work together... im no great diver but id be not even half of what i am if it wasnt for the help of a few people on here (actually in the water). i have heard the classes increase bottom time and blah blah blah but first id try diving often with people you like.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• I agree with sdeisen a 100%. Back when we started spearfishing there wasn't any courses like we have today. Ask around and most of the best spearos are self taught. Nothing beats time on the water, also a good mentor or buddy will help a lot. I'm not saying that a course it's not a good idea but it would probably help you more on the apnea aspect. Hunting technique is something you will have to learn on your own, by making observations of how fish react to your movements, environment etc. And by paying attention to how the most experienced spearos hunt their prey. Time will make you a good spearo, also a little bit of luck will help every once in a while. Above all be safe, no fish is worth your life and enjoy being out in the sea, especially in the company of friends even if you don't catch anything.:)

• if there's money to spend get all the courses you can , but if not; just relax, go fishing and time and good friends will give you all you need and more. remember you don't want to be an immertionist , you just want to have fun and fish.

• Thanks for the feedback fellas. I will definately continue to dive and more than likely hold off on any courses. Now only if this crappy weather would go away. Thanks for the invite Matt, hopefully one day I could take you up on that.