gun maintenance and inspection

• ok, for most of us the season is winding down and in light of the incident brough to light lately i was wondering what you guys do with your guns? tell me if you disassemble, inspect, clean them or just use them till they don't work anymore?

steve veros

in loving memory of paolo

• ok, for most of us the season is winding down and in light of the incident brough to light lately i was wondering what you guys do with your guns? tell me if you disassemble, inspect, clean them or just use them till they don't work anymore?

My answer is "B".

I just rinse them with fresh water.

Ain't fix it if ain't broken... :rolleyes1:

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• My main gun has been a raw teak Deathstick until recently. Being raw made me dissassemble it to sand it down and re-oil it every few months. Now that most of my guns are epoxy coated, I find I just rinse with fresh water, unload and remove the shaft, and let sit til the next trip.

I had already upgraded all my handles to Death grips (solid aluminum frames) because they are so nice. And I retie bands every few months. I use mostly guns with Aimrite trigger mechs from Daryl, and haven't had any issues with them.

I worry more about premature trigger mech release than anything else. I never load out of the water, and make sure to NEVER let the gun aim at another person.

Charlie

• If the handle looks like this don't shoot it. Sheri found another reason for Tin Man handle it appears.
    This is not on the gun she had the catastrophic handle failure but one earliy as well.

Cheers, Don

• Rinse, look at the bands and wishbones for wear. Check the shaft for straightness and flopper tuned, rarely take a look at the notch. When it gets to the point where there are a lot of dings and scratches on the stock I will do another coating of penetrating epoxy. That's it, there's nothing else that can go wrong with my gun other than the trigger mech. And I don't shoot the gun enough at this point to be concerned about sear wear so I don't disassemble the mech.

• It would be a good Idea to change the Mech out on some of those 10 year old tuna guns , Ill never forget my buddy Plossel laying on my Deck after his Riffe went off while he was loading the last band :( ,,
    the scary thing was, untill then the gun was working Flawless

• It would be a good Idea to change the Mech out on some of those 10 year old tuna guns , Ill never forget my buddy Plossel laying on my Deck after his Riffe went off while he was loading the last band :( ,,

Was he hurt? Scary...

first of all Joe, that is very scary.
    secondly, I want to ask you a question and i hope you dont take it the wrong way...do you think that your buddy would have felt as extreme of a recoil force if he was loading in the water? I have always felt that loading guns out of the water is just an invitiation for an accident, not that he was doing anythign incorrectly, just that the physics are different in air and it seems like a risk. Not knowing the circ around your story, do you think it would have been as powerful in the water?
    not trying to derail this into a debate about loaded guns etc, just wondering if that was a factor.

thanks

i like to spear fish

• Lunker , I don't know what's worse ???most CA divers were WAY to much lead
    some were so much they need to breath in to stay afloat!!

So it could have been worse ?? I really don't know but since then I havnt shot a multi band super gun..
    I even took my tuna gun down to 3 bands and a 9/32 shaft and that still makes me nerveos :(

I feel safe with my 119 mr.c single band

first of all Joe, that is very scary.
    secondly, I want to ask you a question and i hope you dont take it the wrong way...do you think that your buddy would have felt as extreme of a recoil force if he was loading in the water? I have always felt that loading guns out of the water is just an invitiation for an accident, not that he was doing anythign incorrectly, just that the physics are different in air and it seems like a risk. Not knowing the circ around your story, do you think it would have been as powerful in the water?
    not trying to derail this into a debate about loaded guns etc, just wondering if that was a factor.

thanks

• i think it's really important the look things over at least once a season, if you don't you might find yourself losing "a fish of a lifetime" or worst.

here's a few things i look at. check around the muzzle for any cuts in the rubber and check the knots, look at the wishbones. i change the shooting line after a couple of fish even if it looks good, bands i replace once a season.

also, even if you do wash the gun after every dive salt buildup collects in tight spots and makes the trigger pull mushy. on mid handles i check the point where the pushrod comes out from under the handle, especially aluminum handles (ss and aluminum react to form a white powder that clogs things up). the same may happen under the pushrod strap in the rear of the gun. disassemble, clean and check for proper clearance on everything around the trigger mech. this will not only make trigger pull smoother but may prevent mishaps.

one thing people should check thats really important in terms of safety is the length of the pushrod. to do this, load the shaft into the mech and check to make sure that the pushrod fits between the remote trigger and the mech with about a 1/16'' clearance. if the pushrod contacts and puts pressure on the trigger mech when the shaft is loaded there is a good chance the gun will misfire when bands are loaded or at least give you a "hair trigger".

check the material around screw holes for breaks and other problems.

replacing a mech if you have an old gun may not be a bad idea either. be safe.

steve veros

in loving memory of paolo