• Anyone ever tried applying some rain x inside there mask? I've used it on my car for years and theoretically it should work since it is anti fog. Of course it would have to be air dried for awhile to not irritate eyes. So what do you ladies say?

• I could be wrong, but, I don't think Rain X is anti-fog at all, simply creates a slippery surface for water to bead and fall away from. If you want an anti-fog solution simply use a little johnson & johnson baby shampoo with water and keep your mask in it when on the boat, then when going to dive simply pull it out and dive...no tears and you smell good.

• "Does Rainx work on plastic?"

Good question, I would think it would work, but, unlike a harder more slippery surface maybe the drops would not fall away from the plastic as fast...jut a guees though.

• You shouldn't have a fogging problem in the first place. Give your mask the lighter and toothpaste treatment.

I know about using toothpaste to clean mask, but what is the "lighter" treatment?

......after a quick Google search, I found info on the lighter treatment method. I don't think I'll ever try that technique.

Edited once, last by parker: explained in post ().

I know about using toothpaste to clean mask, but what is the "lighter" treatment?

Run a lighter over the inside of the lens. Don't hold it over any part, it probably takes about 15 seconds to cover each lens. You'll immediately see black soot accumulating around anything that's on the lens. After the lighter treatment is a good time to use toothpaste - it will remove all the soot.

• I have a problem with an accumulation of water droplets inside and out that i feel really affects my total vision... if this stuff made it slippery enough for me to swing out all the droplets id be in heaven!.... If you could Ronny, an try this out id really like to know how it goes...or if not does anyone knows a quality cloths that soaks up the water and doesn't leave any type of fibers or smears?..that would be great.

I used to have fog problems too but after the lighter and toothpaste method i was good to go.

-AL

• Dusky, does your mask leak a bit? Or is the water in there initially and just never comes out? You might want to try to find a mask that fits your face a bit better if it leaks. I find that a good fitting and well defogged mask with a small amount of de-fogger or spit. Put on your face after jumping in and cooling your face down. Can stay perfectly clear for 5-6 hours solid.

• Rain-X only prevents water from forming beads which 'stick'. On cars it works really well because it uses the wind created by movement to move the water off the wind shield as the beads now have less cohesion force to the glass (forms a fatty layer on the glass). A lot of UW photographers apply Rain-X to their wider domes to take surface shots without the annoying droplets 'sticking' to it when you lift it clear of the water.

It would do very little to prevent fogging. Best thing is to buy some proper antifog drops and apply it a max of 2 times when the mask is new (some new masks have a chemical layer which causes fogging), after that the best thing you could use is spit :)

One more tip: Do not EVER apply toothpaste to 'plastic' lenses (such as the Sphera), it works as an abrasive to remove this layer which is fine on glass but you scratch anything else.

oh and one last tip as we're discussing Rain-X: I used Rain-x on my cars windshield once and because it forms a fatty layer it tends to collect crazy amounts of filth after the first week of application. Took a few washes to remove...never again:)

Edited once, last by jdv ().

• For the benefit of everyone and the topic Rain-X has an anti-fog product and the Rain-X product for the exterior glass works well if it is applied correctly, you have to really press it into the surface you're treating.

• Dusky, does your mask leak a bit? Or is the water in there initially and just never comes out? You might want to try to find a mask that fits your face a bit better if it leaks. I find that a good fitting and well defogged mask with a small amount of de-fogger or spit. Put on your face after jumping in and cooling your face down. Can stay perfectly clear for 5-6 hours solid.

I dont think I have a leak reef. But its droplets that stick to the inside of my mask and never roll down to collect in the bottom of the mask, or if they do they leave a dotted trail of water. it drives me nuts..i then try to whip it clean with a rag or something and end up never getting all the water and adding a few fibers from my cloth...quite frustrating...i just rinse and shake till i can get as few as possible then put it on... what i would do for my mask to look like JDVs^^^