Shore diving board

• I don't like the way boogie boards catch waves and create drag so I wanted something more streamlined without sacrificing space. I found this board, not sure what it's originally used for, maybe skiing on your knees? I liked the fact that it has a keel and figured it will not overturn easily even though it's not very wide across. If need be weight can be added to the keel but it wasn't necessary. I took it out on one dive and it performed well, had minimal drag.

Length is 5' width 13". Two bungee cargo nets at 12" x 12" joined together gives ample storage. Later I found that bungee cargo nets are available in 24" x 12" which is what I will use for my next board. I'm not happy with the board aesthetically but it's very functional. I think my next one I'll make from scratch and it will be simply cut out of marine plywood.

• I went out tonight and found the 15x30inch cargo bungee nets at BassPro shop/Outdoor World on 95 in Davie, Fl for $9. They also had 15x15 for $8. The 15x30 has 8 plastic hooks and the net is 3 inch squares. Looks perfect for me. Got to rig it onto my board now so I can try it out in the morning.
    Gracias Dan for the tip.
    hau

PS, Vis this morning [11-5] was about the same as 11-3 off Hollywood, [25-30 vis in about 35fsw]. Seas were light. Almost no current in the morning. Water felt colder today.

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 2 times, last by hau ().

• hau, thanks for the vis report. 25-30 is not bad at all so close in especially considering how I was told it was on the weekend. It's time to get out there.

That's great about bass pro. I always prefer to see before I buy. What colors did they have?

• Both the 15x15 and the 15x30 only in black at Bass Pro. I forgot to mention that the nets are in the ATV section and hard to find. I spent an hour trying to find the nets. The ATV section is near the water sports section. Also the manufacture of the nets is; Classic Accessories, Inc., Kent,WA USA 98032.
    Got the net on my board but I need a better way to attach it. I'll mess with the rigging after I see how it works a bucea or two.
    Gracias
    hau

• An update on this board.

While the concept works fine I found there is one drawback to the shape of this board. When fish started to pile up it became tippy. At a certain point I ran out of room to spread the fish evenly in one layer and started to put them one on top of the other. Because the board is not very wide the pile of fish raised the center of gravity too high and while arranging the fish the board would flip upside down occasionally. At least it didn't flip from just the wave action. I'm glad I didn't put more time into it such as painting it like I had in mind. In the end the real proof of usability is done throughout a diving day. In conclusion I'll be looking for a wider board but still a little more streamlined than a boogie board. I was going to make one out of plywood but saw something today at West Marine that will be a good replacement. I will post about it when it's ready.

• LOL I was going to say the same.. I'll be getting rid of this board once the new one is made. I'd like to give it to someone who'll use it but I hate to give someone I know something that doesn't work optimally IMO. I'll let it go with the stipulation "don't catch too many fish" which for some guys shouldn't be a problem :)

Edit - I no longer have the board.

• hey Dan, I think I might be able to mod your existing float to make it suit my needs...if you are still looking to get rid of it to a home that will show it good use and love, shoot me a PM

i like to spear fish

• I took off the bungee netting to use with the other board I'm making and I'm keeping the flag. If you want the board you're welcome to it. I'm in Ft. Lauderdale, pm to let me know if and when you want to pick it up.

amazing man, thanks.... PM coming

i like to spear fish

• A board that size was used back in the old days by Prodanovich to get to the kelp beds in So.Cal. They paddle their way back to shore with their huge spearguns :D loaded with some huge WSB.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• The pictures must be misleading, the board is only 5' long. The boards I've seen in the old Prodanovich pics are around 10' long.

Ok. Maybe a not so huge fish and a medium sized speargun then (half the size of a prodanovich is still huge) :D

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• well i decided to hold off on the pontoon glassing idea I spoke with you about when I got the float.
    I figured I should dive with it a few times to get a sense of what I like and what i dont

in the mean time I did a little rigging to keep my gun secure, and hold up my massive flag until I get a better idea of what needs improvement.
    I'll post pics in a little bit

i like to spear fish

• here are some pics of what I did

first I added a padeye and nice ss swivel to the bottom to attach the floatline. on the bottom so it lifts the front when towed to minimize drag

this is the bungee I put on the top of the front. I copied the rigging from my kayak cos I know how handy that is and figured it would transfer well

here is the rigging for the back end. I use the padeyes to both anchor my speargun while in transit as well as to anchor the bungee that holds down the flag. I drilled the flag hole out to allow for a pvc but that pads the flagpole

Here it is holding down the gun and the rear end with the gun anchored

here is the flag pole up

and the better view

i think i'll most likely redo this with some custom tied bungees but that will be later

and here is the handle I added for carrying the board to and from the launch

and here is my sidekick

i like to spear fish