A few from Belize

• If you don't mind me asking, why hasn't his boat run since? He just didn't bother paying for that expensive ECU? Or no one could get it running again?
    I've been tossing and turning in bed at night trying to decide whether to just shell out the bucks and get twin 40s or 50s, or just fix this motor. I was pretty tempted to get Enduro 40 Yamahas yesterday. Only $8000 for a pair but they suck a lot of gas. Twice what my ETEC would burn. Twin 4 stokes would cost twice that and they aren't flawless. Seems a lot of people have problems with them here because of dirty gas. ??
    Well, I have to get it running at least so I can sell it. We'll see.

I think the ignition box for his motor was about $1000 installed (he's a captain so he knows people in the marina) He doesn't use his boat much because he can "wet test" the 68' hatteras he captains several times a week depending on whats going on with it. It has sat ever since because he doesn't see the need to fix it because his boat wouldn't get used that much anyway.... 68' hatteras vs. 17' Dusky, you decide haha.

• Hank: If you are willing to change your motor, I would get the Enduro's. Those things never let you down.

I was tempted to buy them on Monday. I had carbureted two stroke 60 Enduro and a 150 Yamaha V6. Both were great.
    And looking back, yes, they suck more gas but the ETEC sucks up the money in parts. I just spend US$2350.00 to get my motor back running today. New EMM was $1950. That's probably about what I saved in gas over the last few years. :) The damn spark plugs (3) for the ETEC are $45 here.
    But the good news is, I got a new impeller, plugs, computer check out and all is fine. The motor is running good again. I'm out there tomorrow. I thought I'd be down for 10 days or so.

• Post tropical storm Harvey dive. Went out to try and find some clean water yesterday. All green along the reef. So we crossed over to Turneffe and found nice semi clean water on the east side.
    Jake had just shot a cubera and was swimming it back to the boat. I went down to look around and on the bottom a decent cubera came by. I hit it and it bolted for a hole. I pulled the line hard and just as I got it free and the fish was coming up with me about 4-5 sharks came in real fast.....moving like fish that haven't been fed for 3 days in your aquarium.....and this was all they left for me.
    It was a little sketchy going back to shoot the next fish but after about half hour Jake hit another one and no more sharks.
    We got on top of a nice school of dogs but one of the guys with us got sick. So.....we headed home.
    The Yamahas burn a bit more gas but I'm getting used to them. It's a lot more playing with the throttle when in open sea to keep the engine from "dogging" on the back of waves. Coming home though I only burned about 2 gallons more than the ETEC.
    I love the safety of these......but there is a lot to be said for modern technology. hah.

• The green water is all the way out to Turneffe now. I hope that the cool waters of November make it go away.
    Found a little clean water north of our hot spot. There was a school of permit and horse eye jacks which are usually very close to the big school of dog snappers but I think the snappers were hiding in the green haze. I saw a couple dogs and a couple small cuberas.
    I shot a couple nice ceros, a good size barracuda, two yellow jacks, one horse eye and then this fish came along. African pompano. Strong fish. He pulled me under a couple times, down to 15 or more feet. hah
    When I got him to the boat, I stuck my finger in the spear hole and touched his spine. Almost a dead stone shot but man, he fought like hell. Great fish. Good eating too.

• wow Hank that is a tremendous fish...they fight like nobody's business..it is crazy you were so close to the spine but took none of his strength.

congrats and nice dinner

and amazing t shirt
    Martins are like angels trapped in wooden bodies

i like to spear fish

• nice catches you get! friends have told me you can find biiig really big cuberas and grouoers there! i will love to go!
    good report congratulations
    alex

• Thanks, Cancunspearo, come on down. I'd like to come up there too.
    Lunker, I got the T shirt in Orlando Guitar Center. I was up there when Jake was going to Marine Mechanics Inst. and they had a sale on Martin strings. By one box of 4 sets and you get a free T shirt. I got three shirts. haha.
    I have a really nice Martin copy that my friend made from scratch. It really sounds nice. Drowns out my other acoustic. But that's what Martins were made for....to be loud as the banjo playing bluegrass. yep.

• Had to hunt for some clean water again yesterday. We got to one of our spots and the green water was kind of laced through the area. Some spots were pretty clean and some were pretty green. We were seeing a few snappers on the bottom here and there and Jake got a couple but had to dive to the bottom and just get lucky finding one. You couldn't see them from the surface.
    After a couple hours we moved a bit south where someone had set a mooring. We saw a couple guys h and L fishing there earlier who had left. I've also found a lot of fish in that area before but from where we were, the water appeared to get even more green as we moved south.
    We came up to the mooring and I jumped in and found some fairly clean, bluish water with a lot of small blue lined jacks hanging around the mooring line. Then, up from the bottom came a few cuberas, and I could see a big school of dog snapper about 20 feet down.
    I dropped down to about 40 feet and a nice cubera came by. Jake was still gearing up as I put the fish in the boat....needless to say he was stoked.
    I dropped down to about 50 feet and there were LOTS of cuberas. The bottom was at about 90 but they were up and moving around. A few smaller ones came by but I waited as one bigger one came in. I thought he was about 12-15 lbs when I shot but I guess I was farther away than I thought. Quite a fight as he shot for the bottom burring my fingers through the glove. Jake got another one and we went home. The big one was 30.5 lbs gutted and gilled.
    The Rasta guys came back to fish some more. They had been catching small jacks and a couple permit. They were stoked to see the snappers we'd gotten. I don''t think they knew they were there. There was a nice aroma in the air:D as they started dropping lines int he water. Ya man....

• Check out the shooting line. In the tail, out the side, back in the side and out the eye. Just as I was shooting, he turned away and got skewered.
    Not a lot of fish yesterday. Yesterday was Independence Day in Belize.
    Then I want to the Dangriga fish market today and saw a LOT of muttons and dog snapper. A guy told me someone brought in 300 lbs.