Spear shaft drilling jig

• The Speardiver Shaft Drilling Jig guides a 3/32" drill bit, which is the standard diameter for a flopper pin, to make perfectly centered holes in shafts ranging from 5/16" (8mm) in diameter and down. The 3/32" hole can then be used as a pilot hole if a larger diameter hole is needed. The jig is 3" long X 1" wide X 1" tall.

• Quickly and easily change the length of a shaft and reposition the flopper
    • Add a pin for loading another band
    • Increase band stretch by putting a pin closer to the trigger mechanism
    • Add a rest pin for ease of loading
    • Add a pin to keep one band at minimal stretch when powering down, rather than leaving it to flop around
    • Add a pin to rig a Heinrich line release
    • Make stringers from old bent shafts

How to use the jig
    Slide the shaft in the jig, choose one of the 5 holes and position it over where you want the hole to be. Tighten the two Allen screws, the shaft is then held securely and the jig automatically centers and guides the drill bit. With a drill press hand pressure is enough to hold the jig and shaft. If a hand drill is used the jig can be secured in a vice. After drilling the hole turn the jig upside down, there are 9/32" holes on the bottom of the jig corresponding to the 3/32" holes on the top, use a 9/32" drill bit in a hand drill to deburr the bottom of the new hole and allow removal of the shaft from the jig. Blow out all debris so as not to jam the jig, loosen the Allen screws and slide the shaft out of the jig.

The jig is available Spearfishing Store Speardiver Spear Shaft Drilling Jig

014c727.jpg

02f273a.jpg

03.jpg

What a pleasure it is to use the Speardiver jig after 10 years of making these holes with an electric hand drill, sometimes without a vice to hold the shaft. The drill bit would dance on the round shaft surface even when I'd use a file or a punch to mark the metal to start it off. The resulting holes were rarely centered, and would rarely run straight through the shaft on any plane. The process would take up to 20 minutes and was exhausting. I'd have to stop at least a couple of times to sharpen the drill bit and a few more times just to rest. Sometimes because of putting sideways pressure on the hand drill the bit would break right when the hole was almost finished. If the drill bit broke off close enough to the shaft, the shaft would be scrap as there was no way to get the drill bit piece out, and repositioning the flopper was no longer an option. Holes that were not straight interfered with the proper deployment of the flopper. I recently bought a drill press from Harbor freight for $70. With this drill press and the jig it takes me less than one minute to make a perfect hole in a stainless steel shaft with a cobalt drill bit.

In Cuba for lack of tools and materials I've seen them use one of these hand drills. Now that was pure torture and would take hours for one hole :)

• Oh yea, I have been needing one of these for years. :thumbsup2:
    I have to drill a new hole in every new shaft I buy for my "hau extra band pin" and this tool is gonna make that job SO much easier.
    I'll take one "Speardiver spear shaft drill jig" please and I'll pick it up ASAP. Thank you Dan for another great product. :toast2:

• Looks great, I have the same drill. I'll order the bigger one soon. What size hole for the flopper?

• OP says 3/32" for flopper pin. around 2.4mm Perfect size for attaching mono aswell.

Its a great jig

• Great jig! If you're serious about your shafts it is a must have. I got one that hast 3 channels, one for 9/32, one for 5/16 and one for 3/8. Good job with this one Dan!!

• it reminds me back in cuba when we had to open the holes with a hand drill. we had to take turns . not really a nice work to do.

• i guess these drills are expensive. i would highly recommend a permanent oil cooling with maximum speed on the machine.
    also a fixed vice would help alot.

to get the feel for a nice pressing it s usefull to grip high and apply with the cellone(underarm( on the lower grip to increases the power and ease..

i m pretty amazed on that drill, by the way.. nice work:thumbsup2:

sometimes i m asking if the freaks know that they are in the majority..