One gun for reef and bluewater?

• I'm still a newbie (so please bear with me), and I'm sure this question has been asked in one form or another many times before. If you were going on a trip to the Caribbean and were forced to bring only one gun for both reef and bluewater, would you consider a 120? I'll also have a 9' Crist with me.

• Wong GR Hybrid, 3 bands(use 1 or 2 on reef), detachable reel and a few shafts rigged for breakaway.

+1 :thumbsup2: 55 GR hybrid (that's the gun in m profile pic)
    That's what I use here as my "go to" gun. But I also use a 63 inch super magnum for my feeble attempts at blue water.
    I used a Riffe C3X and a Baja Plus before my son "inherited" them.

• just make sure the parts of the carribean you are visiting allow trigger mech spearguns at all.

If they do, follow the advice above. a nice long gun with adjustable power will serve you well...a heavy euro with a 20mm and a 16 mm band will give you some good options as well.

happy hunting

i like to spear fish

• When I went down to Colombia a couple years ago, a 120 is what I brought. I figured it would be about the best of both worlds. I found it a little long for the reef fishing, and considering that's what I did 90% of the time, I would have liked something a bit smaller.... Maybe a 100. A shorter gun also makes it a little easier to pack, with baggage restrictions. I had to get shorter shafts in order to make the total bag length.

• When I went down to Colombia a couple years ago, a 120 is what I brought. I figured it would be about the best of both worlds. I found it a little long for the reef fishing, and considering that's what I did 90% of the time, I would have liked something a bit smaller.... Maybe a 100. A shorter gun also makes it a little easier to pack, with baggage restrictions. I had to get shorter shafts in order to make the total bag length.

That's also what I'm concerned about. A 120 might be a little too long for the reef, but might also be a little too short for bluewater.

I appreciate the Wong suggestions, but would something simple like a RA 120 or 130 with dual 16s not work? I could always use the polespear for the reef if the gun is too long.

• That's also what I'm concerned about. A 120 might be a little too long for the reef, but might also be a little too short for bluewater.

I appreciate the Wong suggestions, but would something simple like a RA 120 or 130 with dual 16s not work? I could always use the polespear for the reef if the gun is too long.

Ive never fealt a 120 was too long for the reef, i wouldnt want nething shorter.. its not too combersome even in bad viz, and ive seen, in videos at least, 120 rob allens and similar guns used successfully in blue water (with the right setp of course) also.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• With the vis you get in the Caribbean, a 120 will never be too short. I've shot a few fish and a 120 with 6.5 or 7mm shaft and single 20mm band is magic. When I go to the tropics, I take a big 4 band gun for tuna. Reef hunting in clear water, a 120 or better yet a 130 is the gun of choice. 130 is fine for dorado and wahoo. Tuna are a push if range is an issue.

Hole hunting is a different story. You'll have plenty of polespears, so no need for bringing a short gun.

• Listen, saying "the Caribbean" is like saying "the Atlantic" or "the Pacific". You must be a little more specific. In Venezuela, where I was born, reef fishing visibility never allows you to use a gun longer than 100 - 110. In Puerto Rico, where I live now and the visibility is often more than 80 feet, a 120 is the shortest I would use.

This being said, if you are not going after tuna and the visibility is good, a 120-130 RA (or other railgun) with double 16 mm bands and 7 mm shaft is a good compromise.

If you are going after tuna, you have 90% probabilities not to find them, so a 120-130 is still good.

If you are going to a place where the vis is not as good, bring a 100-110 double banded 7 mm shaft gun.

Bring several shafts and all the spare parts you may need. Normally they're scarse and expensive.

PS: I have taken more wahoos with a single banded 96 cm speargun with a reel than with all my other guns together. Those were old good days....

PS": What's a 9' Crist?

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Listen, saying "the Caribbean" is like saying "the Atlantic" or "the Pacific". You must be a little more specific. In Venezuela, where I was born, reef fishing visibility never allows you to use a gun longer than 100 - 110. In Puerto Rico, where I live now and the visibility is often more than 80 feet, a 120 is the shortest I would use.

This being said, if you are not going after tuna and the visibility is good, a 120-130 RA (or other railgun) with double 16 mm bands and 7 mm shaft is a good compromise.

I agree

it is a type pf polespear..made by Aaron Crist.

i like to spear fish

• Thanks for all the great advice. I think I'll pick up a RA 120 or 130 today, with a few extra shafts. BTW, I'm going to Tobago.

• I ended up ordering a 130 Aimrite Venom Comp with double 16s (along with a bunch of other stuff) from Josh at Neptonics. It'll be rigged with a double wrap of 300 mono and a breakaway. I also opted for shark finned tabs over the notched shafts. Thanks for all the advice.

• What about a reef gun?
    Half kidding. That's a nice setup. But if you're shooting around the reef you have to be quick and grab the floatline to keep the fish out of holes.

• Well, I know this isn't a true bluewater setup, but I've realized through the advice in this thread and the many searches I've done, that it's unrealistic to think that I can have one gun that does everything well. I might give this gun a try on the reef, but it's more than likely that I'll just end up using one of the polespears for that. I know it can be done with a gun this size, but it'll take me a lot of practice.

• i recommend you dive with both bands loaded..it is easier to unload one than load one quickly and generally the times you would be wanting to power down are less "timing critical" than those moments where a nice fish darts passed you for that one curious look.

happy hunting and enjoy your new gun

i like to spear fish

• Yeah! You will end up using it at full power. That's my setup for reef hunting with clean water here. My only advice would be to use a single wrap. Either for reef or bluewater.

100 + 130 + 3x130 + 170 = 790 centimeters. That's 26 feet away from you with a single wrap. Do you think you're going to hit anything farther than that? I don't even shot half that distance.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.