Spearfishing Help

• I'm interested in trying blue water spearfishing. I have 4 problems though...

1. Places to go out of. I Live in North Carolina, which in short means that the place is over runnel by scuba. I haven't run into any place (so far and I've looked, trust me) that will accept freedivers. (because of the lack of knowledge that they know about freediving) So I'm in need of a ride out to a spot, which maybe you guys could have some recommendations about.

2.I Don't have the proper gear, or know anything about the correct gear to use. I have a JBL speargun, which in short has kept me happy. It was a great starter, but now I'm in need for something... more. Its a 3 band so it can pack a punch, and i have a few fish to prove it. But I don't own the proper equipment for freediving. So far I have used others rig for freediving once or twice, but never my own. And those rigs were extremely simple with only a reel attached to it.

3. I don't have anyone to learn from. This is the major problem that I'm having to deal with. I grew up in a family where hunting was passed from generation to generation. The secrets, the way to stalk, etc. Everything I've learned about spearfishing so far has been self taught. Not to say that its a bad thing, I just lack someone to teach me the small things about hunting. Especially for freediving.

4. I don't know what fish to start with and what to shoot. Like I said I'm a hunter. I eat what I kill. Its been my belief and I will never decide otherwise. But i do want to try some more thrilling hunting. The most I've tried as far as game fish is AJ, and boy was that exciting. i tried once to shoot a cuda in the gulf of Mexico, and he broke off my spear tip (because i bought the wrong size) and I have had cold feet ever since. But ill try whatever, whenever.

So gimmie your opinions, any and all are welcomed, trust me.

• I too am not a pro and know the frustrations involved with getting started. I agree that you need to learn the rules for the area and stay fairly shallow. Always try to have a partner with you and if you invest in quality gear it will last you several years if not more. I am assuming that in your area a wetsuit will be required for most if not all of the year. I own one of Dans 3mm suits and love it but that may not be enough in your area. If you search around here you'll quickly find that everything Dan sells is quality and worth every penny. That being said Pursuit obviously isn't the only gear line out there. Ill put a link at the bottom that compares some of my starter gear to some of the pursuit stuff at the bottom of the page. Most importantly know your limits and dive safe/smart.

http://spearfishing.world/memb…ng-day-at-pursuit-hq.html

• I have been spearfishing while using scuba for about 2 years now. So I've got the basics down so far. Fish identification, sizes, types, distance. I also got the basics for freediving as I took a class with Evolve Freediving last October. I got a JBL speargun, Omer Fiberglass fins, a Xcel wetsuit, aqua sphere mask. I just know nothing about the freediving aspect. Over the past 2 days, I've read everything on the Forum from Barracudas possibly having cig, to custom speargun makers. I'm eager to learn, it just most of the stuff that people are talking about is over my head. And yes i do need at least a 3mm wetsuit when diving off the coast, and yea we do have reefs. We also get some of the tropical fish up here like Queens, but another downside to that is the dam Lion fish. So we have the variety, but I'm really interested in starting to game fish hunt.

Attan, yo hablo español porque yo uso a vivir en Texas.
    Ah, y gracias por la ayuda. Cualquier ayuda es mejor que nada. Gracias amigo.:thumbsup2:

• Just take it easy bro, it'll come to you. Freediving spearfishing is something that takes time (for some more than others) enjoy the ride and have fun but above all be safe. Time in the water will make you a better diver. You don't have to prove nothing to nobody, catching big fish and posting pictures is nice for shure but is for entertainment, if you go out and catch your own dinner you succeded but if you didn't and spent some good time in the water specially with friends you still succeded. Look around and learn and ask away but above all have fun and be safe.:)

• Just take it easy bro, it'll come to you. Freediving spearfishing is something that takes time (for some more than others) enjoy the ride and have fun but above all be safe. Time in the water will make you a better diver. You don't have to prove nothing to nobody, catching big fish and posting pictures is nice for shure but is for entertainment, if you go out and catch your own dinner you succeded but if you didn't and spent some good time in the water specially with friends you still succeded. Look around and learn and ask away but above all have fun and be safe.:)

:toast:

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Look up Mid Atlantic Freediving Club on the internet. They are in Virginia Beach, but dive out of Hatteras. Great group of guys who do a lot of freediving on deep wrecks during the summer months. You don't have to be Joe Superdiver to get some nice fish offshore in Hatteras. Wilmington would be a closer drive for you though... I'm ready to poke some flounder in the shallows myself. 2 and a half or so more months til fishing season!