My fin progression

• I hope this thread will help freedivers make an informed fin choice. Following is my fin progression which started in 1999.

1. Mares Plana Avanti HP plastic fins. I was a swimmer and diver all my life, but these were my first fins. I bought them when I discovered spearfishing. They were comfortable and worked OK. When I got them I started splashing around with a speargun in 10-20 feet of water.

Mares_Avanti_HP_500.jpg

2. Mares Avanti Tre plastic fins. The Avanti tre are the same size as the Plana HP. They were a little more expensive than the Plana HP and had three channels instead of two, so I figured they were better. I can't say if they actually were better because I never looked back. But they were good little fins and durable, took a lot of abuse from the reef. Then as my abilities improved, I started diving past 30ft and head out about 600 meters from shore, I felt I needed more from the fins.

ava2.jpg

3. Mares Avanti Quattro open heel plastic fins. These had more surface area than the Avanti tre, and had four WOW! channels instead of three. Also I was walking to my entry points over some sharp rocks. I thought that using booties to walk over the rocks, and then simply using the booties with the fins would be convenient. I quickly realized that there's too much energy lost between the legs and the blades this way, and eliminated open heel fins as an option.

ava.jpg

4. Mares Avanti Quattro plastic fins. These were bigger and longer than the Avanti tre fins, and had a fully enclosed foot pocket, so I figured they'd be better. To explain my sticking with Mares, that's all that was available where I was at the time. Anyways all other fins I saw in dive shops were a similar style and I couldn't see how they'd make a difference. I hated the Avanti Quattro fins, so big and heavy and provided little propulsion. These fins were responsible for making up my mind that there has to be something better, so I started researching more.

Fin_Avanti_Quattro_Power_BL.jpg

It was around year 2000 and as I looked at other plastic fins available in dive shops, I couldn't see anything significantly different that made sense. There was a new plastic fin which was a little longer and had the foot pocket extend under the blade, this made sense in theory. I got a chance to try the fins in the pool before buying them. I immediately felt they put too much pressure on the toes and ankles, so I didn't buy them. They looked something like the new Cressi Gara professional fins, foot pocket under the blade is an old uncomfortable concept.

cressi.jpg

Around this time I started to use the internet more, and was exposed to more fin choices. Fortunately I was able to logically eliminate such gimmicks as the split fins..

and the funky force fins.

5. Waterway #3 amber fiberglass blades, in Sporasub H Dessault foot pockets. Fiberglass blades were virtually unknown around 2001, and for sure no store carried them. I found them online, and was lucky that Waterway had a distributor very close to where I lived, otherwise I probably would've never taken a chance with fiberglass fins so early on. So I was able to skip a bunch of in between plastic long fins about which I found out later such as Cressi Gara etc. I found out about the fiberglass Waterway fins because of 20fathoms marketing. I think at that time Dennis Haussler was the only one promoting fiberglass fins in the US (20fathoms blades were Waterway blades rebranded Matrix). The Sporasub foot pockets were the only ones I could find after I figured out that's what the fiberglass blades fit into. The Sporasub foot pockets were stiff and heavy, but fit me. They were durable and did the job.

Although they were flat (lacking a toe angle) the Waterway blades in the Sporasub foot pockets were a significant improvement in performance over any plastic fins I've tried. These and all the following Waterway blades I used were really good for that time. I was diving to about 45ft and swimming distances of 1-2 kilometers.

6. Waterway #4 amber fiberglass blades, in Sporasub H Dessault foot pockets. I was diving more and I guess my legs got stronger. I felt that I could use more power which I figured would be provided by stiffer blades. The stiffer #4 amber blades turned out well for me and I used them for about three years.

7. Waterway #4 amber fiberglass blades, in omer foot pockets. Now living in Miami where dive stores have a much larger selection, I discovered there were other foot pockets available, and tried to find ones softer than my old Sporasubs. I had the dive store disassemble a pair of omer fins that were on display so I could buy those foot pockets instead of the omer foot pockets they offered me. It was strange for me to find out that some foot pockets from the same brand and model were softer than others. I didn't make the connection at that time that foot pocket choice affects overall fin flex and stiffness, I only understood that some foot pockets were more comfortable on my feet than others.

omerFootpocket.jpg

8. Waterway #4 black fiberglass blades, in omer foot pockets. Waterway came out with the same design blades but in black color. I liked the black color better than the amber so I bought them. It turned out the new black #4 Waterway black blades were stiffer than the old #4 amber colored blades. I was having trouble kicking continuously and ended up with knee pain. Fortunately realized I needed a softer fin.

Waterway718.jpg

WaterwayBottom718.jpg

9. Waterway #3 black fiberglass, blades in omer foot pockets. By this time I had already sold my old #4 amber Waterway blades and couldn't go back to them, so I bought the softer #3 stiffness black waterway blades. My knee problems went away.

10. Waterway #3 black fiberglass blades, in Nemo foot pockets. I found out Waterway makes foot pockets called Nemo which are a copy of the old Sporasub. They fit me about as good as the omer, but I liked the idea of having a little known foot pocket, so I switched to the Nemo. The Nemo weren't very soft but they fit me good so it wasn't an issue. The strong point of the Nemo foot pockets was a stiff sole which provided better power transfer to the blade.

At this point I was able to dive to about 60ft, and swim 2-3 kilometers on a beach dive. The area right under my knee started hurting with every fin kick. My ankles were also getting tired. I thought to try the softer Waterway #2 black blades in Nemo foot pockets but never got around to it, as I figured out the lack of toe angle in the flat Waterway blades was finally catching up with me. By now (around 2009) fiberglass and carbon blades from other manufacturers became available and they all had toe angles. Carbon fins were very expensive and notorious for breaking (at that time) so I thought to stick with the bulletproof fiberglass for my next pair of fins.

11. DiveR medium stiffness fiberglass blades, in Nemo foot pockets. After hearing all the hype I briefly tried this combination. I didn't like the extra length of the DiveR, nor the extreme 30 degree toe angle. The overdone angle of the DiveR made the down stroke easier but the back stroke harder, I had sore hamstrings after the first dive. I found the DiveR blades slow and cumbersome in general. Around the same time I found the Speardiver C90 carbon blades and was able to make a direct comparison. The Speardiver carbon blades were much lighter and faster/offered better propulsion. I got rid of the DiveR blades quickly.

BladeAngle02.jpg

12. Speardiver C90 medium stiffness carbon blades, in H Dessault foot pockets. I had an opportunity to try the H Dessault foot pockets and realized they were softer and more comfortable than the Nemo, so I combined them with the Speardiver carbon blades. These fins were a revelation and worked perfectly for me.

PicassoComparison.jpg

13. Speardiver C90 medium soft stiffness carbon blades, in Pathos 2nd generation foot pockets. I bought into the Pathos foot pockets hype, thinking light foot pockets must be better. The reason I went to softer carbon blades is that the 2nd generation Pathos foot pockets had very stiff tendons., Combined with a Speardiver C90 medium stiffness blades they made for overall stiffer fins than what I like so I switched to a medium soft carbon blade. I did not stay with this combination for long, the Pathos foot pockets were hard and uncomfortable.

14. Speardiver C90 medium stiffness carbon blades, in Pathos 3rd generation foot pockets. I switched to the latest 3rd generation Pathos foot pockets which are softer all around and more comfortable on the instep, and would require a medium stiffness carbon blade. The foot pocket tendons of this newer production did not adequately support the blade in the area close to the foot pocket, resulting in lack of backbone. This becomes noticeable when power is required swimming against current or stopping a big speared fish. I definitively dropped the Pathos foot pockets.

C90WithPathos718.jpg

15. Speardiver C90 medium stiffness carbon blades, in H Dessault foot pockets. After dropping the Pathos foot pockets I went back to the H Dessault foot pockets and used them with Speardiver carbon blades happily for a few more years.

16. Speardiver C90 medium stiffness carbon blades, in Cressi Gara Modular foot pockets. Around 2015 Cressi came out with the Gara Modular Foot pockets. These are excellent foot pockets. The sole is hard offering good power transfer from leg to blade. The full length foot pocket tendons are medium stiffness giving the carbon blade support without adversely affecting its flex pattern, and channeling water along the full length of the fin stabilizing it. The pocket is soft is comfortable. This ended up being the winning combination for me. I've been diving these Speardiver fins for 6 years at the time of this last edit in 2021.

During years since settling with the Cressi foot pockets and Speardiver carbon blades, I sampled numerous carbon and fiberglass fins of different lengths, widths, rail configurations, and toe angles. Also fins made from different materials such as Kevlar and Texalium. Along with every footpocket in production today. I'm not exaggerating when I say you don't need to try a fiberglass or carbon fin in the water to know how it's going to perform. When you know the overall flex and stiffness pattern you're looking for, its easy to spot something that falls short by flexing the fin between your hands in a consistent manner. The only thing I can't tell by doing that is long term durability. All this time I found no reason to change from the Speardiver blades. If there's another slightly lighter or faster carbon blade somewhere, the small advantage is offset by the consistency, durability and price of the Speardiver blades. The way I see it is if Speardiver carbon blades don't feel right for someone, it's because the wrong stiffness blades were selected and/or wrong overall flex was achieved in combination with the foot pockets.

It would be interesting to see others fin progressions.

• I started with a bunch of gear my grandpa gave me back in high school including a set of tusa booties and open heel fins that he said were from the late 80's or early 90's(I started using them around 2005) They were old and brittle and didn't fit me well but they got me started and in the water. Unfortunately after about 10 trips one broke completely off just ahead of the footpocket, swimming back to the beach was a bitch. so I went and bought some cheap us divers crap at sports authority:

also pictured is a Wenoka knife my grandpa contributed to my starter pack.

These lasted for 3-4 years of occasional (at best) diving, that was until I joined this forum last year and met Dan. I immediately started shopping around and looked at the mares quattro power and the cressi 2000's but decided that it would be cheaper to go all out in the beginning and save the expense of slow progression. So after some saving I wound up biting the bullet and getting these:

Pursuit C90's and H Dessault footpockets, hands down bar none a GIGANTIC improvement over any of my old gear. Thanks again Dan.

And the old side by side for comparison:

• First fins were from Aqualung....Caravelle closed heel

• These were the cheapest pair of fins at sport chalet ($40 I think) that fit and didn't look like something a tourist would buy. They worked pretty nicely. But it must have been summer when I bought these. Because by winter time my feet were getting really cold and I had to upgrade to something else in order to wear booties.

2nd fins were from Aqualung... Blades II Flex open heel (around $90)

• These were the longest fins at sportchalet and I thought an open heal fin would be great. They had more power than my last fins, but were heavier and thus harder to kick with. Without a heel the top of my feet would get really soar after a diving for a couple hours. It hurt so much I could barely kick sometimes.

3rd fins were from Leaderfins.... Stereofins WAVES Black with Omer foot pockets

• After holding off on buying a good pair of longblade fins for maybe two years (still thinking my blades II fins worked fine) I finally bit the bullet after my friend just smoked me in the water with his pair of long blade fins. I could never catch up to him no matter how hard I kicked. I'd be halfway to shore as he was getting out of the water. So I was convinced I needed a pair of longblade fins.

• I wanted to find the cheapest pair of fins on the market and luckily I found a good deal on these brand new Leaderfins medium stiffness. Bought them and have never looked back at my old fins.

• I've been using the Learderins hard for a year and just last month the side railing started falling off on both sides. The glue just died I guess. I soon realized the side railings aren't just for show. I could tell I lost some speed after the glue started failing. So this week I glued them back together with some marine glue. Tomorrow I'm going to jump in the water and see if the fins will hold together for another year :D

4th pair of fins

• When I get the money I will buy carbon fiber fins. It's not a matter of if. It is just a matter of time.
  • When I got scuba certified, I started out with a pair of ScubaPro Twin Jets. Then I pretty much immediately went back to freediving (due to costs and the local diving I had at the time, which was inland on the east coast). I switched to a pair of force fins, and then to the longer force fins. As goofy as they are, they were perfect for what I was doing at the time, which was swimming/snorkeling in shallow, high speed rapids in a river, chasing large gar and huge catfish. They were short, wouldn't get bashed or break on rocks, and I could walk in them when necessary.

When I moved to California, I got the least expensive long fins I could find, which were the JBL/Esclapez thermoplastic blades. They did fine for a while. Then at the beginning of a fateful shore dive, they both cracked right below the toe. Despite the dramatic failure of a piece of primary equipment, I didn't abort, and freeswam a couple miles, and caught a halibut on top of it.

Foolishly, I replaced the JBL's with another pair of JBL's. Those broke after exactly 2 dives, and I swore never to buy them again. I got the Riffe Silent Hunters, which were great. Then, for shits and giggles (and because of a great price), I got some Specialfins blue water specials, which I have been using for the past 2 years with no problems. I gave the Riffes to a friend who still uses them.

Alex

• Probably Don will show some oldes fins than the ones I used, but here I go.... :D

My first fins were Nemrod Baleares all rubber made in Spain. The rubber was so hard that normally my feet were destroyed after a whole day in the water. I found this pic in the web. I had them in black, blue and orange. They were so hard that normally breaked after few months...

Then I got some Cressi's Rondine for my 14th birthday and I saw the light! They were so comfortable that I could dive all day long without any hurt! I gave those fins to a friend after 2 years of abuse and they were still in good shape!

By that time my speargun was a Nemrod Clipper I Pneumatic, then I upgraded to a Clipper II.

When I was 15 I Got a Mares Medisten (which I still keep in working condition) and a pair of Mares Concorde fins. The first "long fins" available for spearfishing :thumbsup2:

Then I quit spearfishing for some like 10 years and started again. Obviously the rubber Mares Concorde were swollen and I bought some Plana's. This is the best pic I could find. Sorry. They were some kind of clear plastic blade with rubber pocket.Very comfortable, but not much power.

Then I switched to the Plana's Avanti, same as Dan but yellow :thumbsup2:

After a couple years, I felt the I had the needing of some REAL freediving fins, so I got the Sporasub H Dessault. first in Neon orange and then more camo, in green....

Some time later I started participating in Italian forums and reading magazines, so I REALIZED I needed something beyond that. So I bought a pair of C4 Falcon 30 blades. Difference was really from earth to heaven. Specially after some time using them and switching back to plastic blades. I installed them to the H Dessault footpockets, which are nowadays the ones that better fit to my feet.

I bought then some Sporasub Pure Carbon fins (wich I found really cheap), but didn't like them very much.

Sold them after a couple month.

Also bought some waterways amber, wich I still have. They are better than plastic but far from Carbons.

Finally, like 5 years ago, I bought the C4 Mustang T700 VRG, which I use now and are the best fins I have ever had by far. Perfect power, perfect comfort, light to my feet. The only downside are the water rails that are made of a very soft rubber and are all broken after abusing them in the reefs.

Right now, I have 3 pairs of fins in Puerto Rico: Waterways, C4 Falcon and Mustang and one pair in Venezuela: C4 Falcon.

I'm happy with them. :)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• My story is very long and fortunately I do not have photos of all of the fins I have owned. These Speardiver C100 carbon fins are the ticket for me and my current style of diving.:toast:

• Voit Duck Feet (2 pairs)
    Mares Avantis
    Avanti Qattros open heel
    Quattro full foots
    Beachat long fins (name?)
    Beachat, not so long blades
    Riffe Silent hunter full foot
    And some other brand I use now that keeps changing the name....logo...but they're carbon fiber and work really well.....oh yeah, Persisntent.....no that's not it.....Beruit.....no...PURSUIT...that's it. Nice fins. :D

• Marco almost identical story as you buddy, seeing those Cressi's made me chuckle ;) Just ordered the C4 wahoo black after trying them out, I like the medium stiffness for free diving all day on the reefs, hummmm maybe I will get some Mustangs for Christmas and see what happens in the big blue :thumbsup2:

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele