Thinking about a reel for my gun . . . . which one ?

• I have been kicking the idea around about getting a reel for my gun. I have used a float line and it works good for me for the pelagics, but I'm not to crazy about it for bottom hunting. So. . . . the reel has become a item of interest. There are many reels out there on the market. What have you guys used and would purchase again if need be? I can hunt comfortably in 55 ft. of water, so a reel size thats holds 30 to 50 yards of 2mm line should work. Vert. / horz.- is it a personal preference or does it make a difference?

LOOKING FOR YOUR $.02 ! ! ! ! :thumbsup2:

OFFSHORE

• I like the RA for sure, but I also have a Mako seems like same design with a bigger drag knob and line holder spooled with good line for 90.00 brand new.

• I bought a ulusub reel and although I have not gotten a chance to use it I can tell it is a well made reel. There isnt a single part that is flimsy cheap or that looks like it will wear out. The design is simple and efficient. It is made from SS and Teflon so there is no chance of corroding and is also reasonably priced. Jon (Behslayer) was great to work with with quick responses to queries and had great service. I would recommend his reels and I will give a full review this summer when I get a chance to use it.

• What gun do you have, what are you shooting?

I like to have 3 times your max depth on the reel.

Davie Peguero

• Seaweed

I use several guns from 45 to 60 inch lengths and plan on having it so I can switch the reel from gun to gun. And I was kind of thinking along the lines as you about three times the depth, that is why I said a reel that could hold 30 to 50 yards of line. In the places that are my max hunting depth, I really feel that a reel is going to help me. I mostly freeshaft bottom fish, and running one down or digging one out at your max can be quite a chore.

• I've had it for a while and been wanting to put it up. It's got a more robust base than the RA reel. You lose about 12ft of line but I don't think that will make a difference. I'm not crazy about the folding arm, but it's got the benefit of making the whole thing lower profile. It's not "arguably the finest reel available" :rolleyes1: but it does the job for $55..

A well used RA reel

About the Mako reel. I'm not a reel user so can someone explain to me what this part of the description means? "Its mounting base plate allows for rapid on/off for switching to floatline and back to reel hunting."

• About the Mako reel. I'm not a reel user so can someone explain to me what this part of the description means? "Its mounting base plate allows for rapid on/off for switching to floatline and back to reel hunting."

like the RA reel, the mako reel will slide out of its baseplate by a bump with your hand.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• because the reel wont slide off unless you slack the line and hit it backwards. I guess the idea is for people who want to swtich reels between guns. But for that to apply the person would have to have the accepting RA, mako, etc base plate. the omer reel I had needed to be unscrewed through the drag knob.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• You didn't understand, they do come off the front sometimes.

That is a scary thought, I've never had mine pop out from being pushed or pulled forward. I guess if you ran out of line or the line got tangled while fighting a big fish it could happen. Their wedge type mounting base plate seems fairly solid. I wonder if its happen to other spearos in the forum who could recreate the conditions. The persuit reel looks just as good, I don't remember seeing it before. I believe I saw the one you had with a metal mounting frame about a year ago. Could you talke some pictures of the top of the reel, I want to see how this one attaches to the barrel? I wonder how many other things you already have that we haven't seen :D.

• Dan, I agree about the folding handle, it could be a possible weak link with a large fish. I do like the line guide/slide. How long have you carried these reels? Any feed back from customers?

• I always recover reel line under pressure, of course if the fish runs I let go. I can get it nice, even, and compact on the reel. I think it's unsafe to do otherwise, plus you prevent the line from tangling and spending half hour in the boat untangling the mess.

Davie Peguero

• A reel is for line recovery.If you are using it for anything else you would be using it for something it was not intended to do.:toast: