Movies Thread

• a couple of weeks ago i saw the cartoon 'Bolt' with my son , it was a very good movie, funny .

Just saw it, great movie. You know I like animated films right?

i didnt like it either. i remember it about some kid who has a pussy of a dad.

check out "wanted" with angelina jolie. even if you dont like it she is good to look at.

Started watching Wanted but couldn't get past the first half hour. It started out great but I can't digest the Hollywood tough woman thing with all the cliches that go along with it. Same as with the Tumb Raider movies.

• Just finished watching The Wrestler with Mickey Rourke. I enjoyed it. I'm a bit biased as I used to hang out with Mickey Rourke at a club he had at the beach in the early 90's. I used to shoot pool there on Wednesdays and on the weekends, it was a great place to drink and pick up some ladies. He was always out there interacting with the regulars and always found him down to earth and full of stories. He's a big dog person as he credited his dogs after winning a Golden Globe Best Actor's award for this film. Hope some of you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRUEKJIcvbo

Edited 5 times, last by Rolo ().

• First thanks for reviewing The Wrestler. I saw the ads and thought I might enjoy it, I still think I will. I like watching Rourke work since I saw 9 1/2 weeks. What amazed me here was his appearance for this role. The transformation seems incredible just for a film and prompted me to read about him. It appears that Rourke had an unusual career and was in and out of boxing two times, the second time when he was well into his acting career. The injuries sustained that time required reconstructive surgery to his face the result of which is the transformation of his features.

I respect the boxing bit. The dog part I'm not so sure. A couple of quotes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Rourke

In addition to his faith and his psychiatric treatment, Rourke has publicly attributed his comeback to his dogs. He is well-known as a pet fancier, particularly fond of small-breed dogs. A spay/neuter advocate, Rourke participated in a protest outside of a pet shop in 2007 and has done a public service announcement for PETA.

In addition to those dogs and several other past pets, Rourke currently owns a chihuahua named Jaws who appeared with him in his 2009 PETA ad.

Rourke 57 now BTW.

I saw Burn After Reading with Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and a bunch of other great actors. Pitt was entertaining as always in his role as the idiot. The scene where Clooney shoots him in the forehead is priceless. The film makes no sense whatsoever but I guess that's the point. I enjoyed it.

• I like John Malkovich.

What I liked about Rourke is that this was a major comeback for him with this film. He mentioned in one of his speech that he thanked his dogs; "the ones that are here and the ones who have passed, because sometimes when you are alone, all you have is your dogs." Tha fact that he has spoke for PETA does not bother me. Who is for mistreatment of animals? It is just when their militant members promote Veganism religiously or go on their anti-fishing, anti-hunting hysterias that bother me.

• Just finished watching The Wrestler with Mickey Rourke. I enjoyed it. I'm a bit biased as I used to hang out with Mickey Rourke at a club he had at the beach in the early 90's. I used to shoot pool there on Wednesdays and on the weekends, it was a great place to drink and pick up some ladies. He was always out there interacting with the regulars and always found him down to earth and full of stories. He's a big dog person as he credited his dogs after winning a Golden Globe Best Actor's award for this film. Hope some of you like it.

Rolo,
    a good friend of mine owned that Rest./club(also owned Facade in NMB). Mickey Rourke went into partnership with him and eventually bought it out. The restaurant was Mario's South Beach at the time(same as the one on Las Olas) and Mickey eventually changed the name. I remember him being a pretty cool dude but never had any long conversations with him. I remember him talking about growing up in the area, just don't know where. I also remember some crazy stories about filming in Brazil...

• Rolo,
    a good friend of mine owned that Rest./club(also owned Facade in NMB). Mickey Rourke went into partnership with him and eventually bought it out. The restaurant was Mario's South Beach at the time(same as the one on Las Olas) and Mickey eventually changed the name. I remember him being a pretty cool dude but never had any long conversations with him. I remember him talking about growing up in the area, just don't know where. I also remember some crazy stories about filming in Brazil...

He went to Beach High. He also trained in the boxing gym in South Beach where Ali trained alot with Angelo Dundee. The place was called "Mickey's".

• I saw The wrestler. Good movie I recommend it. The acting was very good, indistinguishable from real life. Kudos to Rourke and everyone else in the film. It was interesting to see the behind the scenes of pro wrestling. Sad movie though.

• I'm glad you liked the movie Dan. When I posted my review I had you in mind and figured you would enjoy it based on the script and your taste. As you mentioned, the acting was superb, not only by Rourke, but Marisa Tomei (From My Cousin Vinny) was very good too.

I learned yesterday that the budget for the movie was low and no major movie corporations were willing to put funding behind it as they thought there would be no interest and Rourke was "washed up". Rourke asked Bruce Springsteen to write a song for the movie and as they are old friends Springsteen wrote the theme song in a few days as a gesture to Rourke. Even Axel Rose from Guns and Roses, did not charge copyright fees for using some of their songs in the movie. The guitar played in the song The Wrestler is of Slash, who was the guitarist for Guns and Roses.

• That really adds to the whole that is the movie. Now that you mention it I'm aware there were no special effects or complicated scenes involving locations and/or crowds. I like it when a movie is like that, along the lines of the first Rocky. Is there anyone who hasn't seen Rocky!? BTW I really liked the last (maybe it was second last) Rocky as opposed to some of the in between ones. Stalone really proved he can act in that film. To me good acting is evident in dramatic scenes and he convinced me.