Movies Thread

• I saw Valkyrie. I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again. But I don't think Cruise was very convincing, he almost never is. Too American playboy like. Russell Crowe or Liam Neilson would have been great for that role. Also the movie moved along too fast.

I agree. He was not suited at all for that role. Poor casting. I think they were looking for a big name from a marketing aspect, but he was not too believable.

From a historical perspective, I wish they would have gave more of a role to General Tresckow (He's the one at the end with the grenade in the forest). He was actually the mastermind behind all the assasinations attempts, even though they all failed. Also, General Beck, who was the older general who shot himself, actually failed to kill himself as the bullet graised his head. The SS later interogated him and tortured him and later hung him.

The two hour documentary I saw was fantastic. I believe it was in the history or military channel. It has some of Von Stauffenburg's sons speaking.

• I never knew about this story and never thought there were Germans who actively resisted Hitler. It is good PR for Germany to have this story come out. I'm surprised they never made this film. I thought the actor that played Hitler did a great job.

• i saw Che with del toro, i thought he did a good job on the performance, other than that the movie focuses in on mainly the cuban revolution and commie pigs

I will be the first to admit that our relationship with Cuba and the immigrants from there has me somewhat perplexed. Simply cause , I want to know where some of my newwest countrymen stand on the issue.You guys tell me.... I dunno. I am trying to understand what I may have missed.But I'll back your play. I know I have heard many Cubans say " FUCK Castro !!! And anything he is involved with ...." And I'm like "OK !!! Fuck Castro .....and now what I am supposed to do .?".

Just wanna support my friends is all.....

I understand that this can be a hot topic even inside the Cuban community..... not trying tio stir a problem. Just genreally do not understand. Trying to get a picture , though.

• I never knew about this story and never thought there were Germans who actively resisted Hitler. It is good PR for Germany to have this story come out. I'm surprised they never made this film. I thought the actor that played Hitler did a great job.

Actually there are 2-3 German movies on the subject that have been done over the years. Some by the very best of German directors. The documentary covered this. For the first few years after the war, many of the conspirators' family members were looked at as traitors. That changed once history started to reveal itself and there now exists a memorial of the conspirators within the yard where Von Staffenburg was shot.

Not all Germans were Nazis. Hitler made a point to have every soldier swear allegiance to him (The Fuhrur). He knew that the typical German soldier with their Prussian roots follow orders without question. The Germans best general, Rommel was forced to ingest a cyanide tablet as it was revealed during the end of the war that he also had contacts with soldiers within the conspiracy.

• proffit, the cuban issue is indeed a hot topic. it could be hard to understand , but to me it's just here, everyday. that movie i won't watch, not really interested in anything they have to say about that guy or what he did , i know enough to stay away from his ideas . Imagine a guy comming to your country and shooting your countryman just because, taking part in the government and get away with everything he wants , even more , go abroad to represent your country , wich is not his and then say to the world , that yes , he's killed , and he'll keep on killing cubans. that' too much.
    on the other hand cuba is nothing more than a country kidnapped by a group of guys who got where they are by liying to the people and taking advantage of it. people have been turned agaist each other and as you don't know who the enemy is you just don't talk , don't say what you think not to loose your job , studies, or even your freedom ( meaning not going to jail) and as shamefull as it is , cubans have opted to leave instead of fighting . see to other countries with about the same problem , like north corea. actually , it's something you have to live. it's a fiction movie.

• What ?

Not sure what you are questioning, but if you don't believe me look it up. I've read alot of biographies of military leaders and one of the better ones was is sitting on my book shelf; Knight's Cross: A Life of Field Marshal Erwin Rommel. The chapter on his death confers what I wrote as does Wikepidia if you choose to use it as a source.

Edited once, last by Rolo ().

• Besides el Che was a phucking Argentinian, what a heck he was doing in Cuba? Call it National Sovereignty ...

Just as Pantoja, I will not watch the movie. I understand Benicio Del Toro (who I admire as an actor) actually went to Cuba to launch this film and he and the director Soderburgh or buddies with members of the regime.

If any of you are interested in reading who actually was "El Che", I have attached a fairly complete article about the man. The article was written by Alvaro Vargas Llosa, a Peruvian who was also an award winning journalist. I have attached it in both the english and spanish version:

English:
    http://www.independent.org/newsroom/article.asp?id=1535

Spanish:
    http://www.elindependent.org/articulos/article.asp?id=1535

I was hesitant to post about this on this thread as I'd hate for it to get off topic. Perhaps if this continues to go on, we can just have a separate thread although I'd rather not comment on the poliltical topics around Cuba.

• i REALLY LIKE THE MOVIE( FOOLS GOLD) I think it was called that. course its a dive movie and I can watch them over and over.:)

• Man, that blood thirst urge was common among Argentinians. As a direct descendant of european immigrants who came into this Country a century ago, let me tell you that Argentinians are regarded as a self proclamed " Racist" country, they killed (shot to dead) all the natives in the blood shed and infamous " Campaña del desierto" led by Julio Argentino Roca, in order to get rid of the dark skinned population. And they feel proud of it. They received most nazi war criminals with their open arms (maybe their legs too) South Africa and Argentina are the most racist countries. This beligerant Mofo, ché Guevara was no exception, I hope he burn in hell.
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/J…Campa.C3.B1a_del_Desierto

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Interesting info monster.

Es evidente que en una gran parte de las llanuras recién abiertas al trabajo humano, la naturaleza no lo ha hecho todo, y que el arte y la ciencia deben intervenir en su cultivo, como han tenido parte en su conquista. Pero se debe considerar, por una parte, que los esfuerzos que habría que hacer para transformar estos campos en valiosos elementos de riqueza y de progreso, no están fuera de proporción con las aspiraciones de una raza joven y emprendedora; por otra parte, que la superioridad intelectual, la actividad y la ilustración, que ensanchan los horizontes del porvenir y hacen brotar nuevas fuentes de producción para la humanidad, son los mejores títulos para el dominio de las tierras nuevas. Precisamente al amparo de estos principios, se han quitado éstas a la raza estéril que las ocupaba.

Literally: We got rid of the sterile race that formerly inhabited the land..

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver