Movies Thread

• have you seen "the lost city" with andy garcia?

jackass 2, the comebacks in the comedy area.

death sentence, kevin bacon

history of violence, with Vigo M

China V.I.P

• I saw all of those. I like Vigo M and have seen most of his movies.

• have you seen "the lost city" with andy garcia?

Saw it, the first time I didn't like because it didn't coincide with how I know Cuba. The second time I saw it I liked it a lot.

I saw Mike Myers' the love guru a few days ago. I liked it and got a few laughs. I enjoy watching Myers work he always seems to have a good time. The guru's teachings are funny because they're based on solid psychological principles but are packaged for marketing. I don't know how this movie did in the cinemas. Anyone else like it?

• I enjoyed it too. I saw "Don't mess with the Zohan" yesterday. It was not bad, the first 10 minutes were the funniest to me. The movie did seem to be too long for that type of genre and it dragged.

Try to watch Mongol. I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it. I think Pantoja saw it too and liked it. You may enjoy it as it is a foreign movie and the director is Russian. It is about the early years of Genghis Kahn. It has fantastic landscape scenes and it looks like it was filmed predominantly in the steppes. It also had a mostly Mongol casts.

• Can you imagine the voyage these guys took to turn a corner of a river and not knowing what to expect on the other side. With all the Indians roaming around and vast unknowns. All these exployers don't get enough credit sometimes and usually viewed as colonialists just out for riches, but it must have been something in those days to cross an open ocean on a wooden ship and coming ashore to these immense unknown lands. Reminds me of the final scene in Apocalypto where the indians run on shore and see these huge ships anchored and Spaniards rowing towards them.

Apocalypto is a great movie.

• I seriously doubt there would be a sequel and I don't think the makers of this film intented there to be one. If you recall the opening of the film had a famous quote by Will Durant (who btw is one of the best American Historian ever) that basically stated that all great civilizations are destroyed from within. Thus the main theme appeared to be portraying the Mayan civilization initiating the seeds that led to its destruction even before the Europeans landed on their shores. Also, it being a Mel Gibson film, he usually tends to just direct films without sequels.

There are alot of films out there that I wish would never have had any sequels. This film was so good, I hope this will be the case as well.

• I agree that Apocalypto didn't come across as having intentions of a sequel. And that the point of the film was made completely within that film. You have to remember though that sequels go bad when story lines are stretched too far or are shit to begin with. In this case the history following the arrival of the Spanish is fascinating and there's no need for embellishment to make a great film out of it. I think a sequel would stand a good chance of being just as good as Apocalypto if directed by Gibson.

• Can you imagine the voyage these guys took to turn a corner of a river and not knowing what to expect on the other side. With all the Indians roaming around and vast unknowns. All these exployers don't get enough credit sometimes and usually viewed as colonialists just out for riches, but it must have been something in those days to cross an open ocean on a wooden ship and coming ashore to these immense unknown lands. Reminds me of the final scene in Apocalypto where the indians run on shore and see these huge ships anchored and Spaniards rowing towards them.

The Maya Culture dissapeared (vanished) a century before the Spanish came to Yucatán. That was a wrong perception of the director about the mayan culture, is like to say a caveman would run face to face with a T Rex, they weren´t living even at the same age. Nice flick though.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I saw Kung Fu Panda. I recommend it to those of you who like animated films. While not fabulous like Shrek, Madagascar or Ratatouille it's still pretty damn good. The animation is top notch. It has a good number of funny moments and is also a spoof in a way of all the late extreme martial arts movies.

• We saw a good movie this weekend, Curse of the Golden Flower. It is Chinese or Taiwan, not sure but very entertaining, with great battle scenes and a good script. The chinese girl from Miami Vice is in it.

• Ladrón que roba a ladrón - I saw this as a preview to 3:10 to Yuma. Looks really funny and good. You guys won't even have to read the subtitles like I will!

I like this sort of thing and own them:

Yojimbo (samurai movie Akira Kurosawa - brilliant)
    A Fistful of Dollars (remake of Yojimbo, Clint Eastwood set as a western)
    Last man Standing (remake of Yojimbo, Bruce Willis set in the 1920's)

Seven Samurai (samurai movie Akira Kurosawa - again brilliant)
    Magnificent Seven (western movie, remake of Seven Samurai - very good, incredible cast)

Zatoichi: the blind swordsman (made in the 90's)
    The blind swordsman Zatoichi (remake of the above, made in the 2000's) Here's a bloody but neat clip: Zatoichi

Akira Kurosawa made some excellent films - all in Japanese: Ran and Rashomon are notable films

Anime: Ghost in the Shell (The Matrix borrows heavily from this movie). One of the best movies I've seen.

Western: So many, but The Outlaw Josey Wales is so funny and good.

I picked these because I didn't think you would have seen many them. Maybe they will give you new ideas on other movies.

Edited 3 times, last by JimCuda ().

• Akira Kurosawa is great. I have seen most of the movies you mentioned including the original ones. I loved the old zatoichi, nice guy :) didn't like the new version as much. I saw Ran, strange flick but captivating. The Japanese really delve deep into the intricacies of human nature in a simplistic ritualized sort of way. I'd like to see Yojimbo.

I have a decent Latin movie collection. Many are good Cuban films. I asked my wife about Ladrón que roba a ladrón and she said it was nothing special.

Must see foreign films;
    Amores perros
    City of god (Brazilian)

• Those are all great movies Jim and I've actually seen most of them, particularly the ones from Akira Kurosawa. I remember my father always used to say that he was an exceptional director. I also loved all the spagetthi westerns, particularly The G, The B and The U. Its theme is actually the ring tone on my cell phone.

My favorite western is The Wild Bunch. I haven't seen the Magnificent Seven, but will now. Thanks!